Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

How do you divide up the household work?

We both do what we can, so I guess equally. Vacuuming is the hardest because we both have serious back problems. So, I bought her one of those hand controlled robot things that chases me around the house.

We try to keep things picked up as we go. This way, it doesnt pile up into a big job.

Garbage is my job and dishes are hers. Since we had the old rugs torn out and wood floors installed, cleaning is much easier.
    Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

I'm very lucky with household work. My Husband pitches in and helps with almost everything. He also is the one that does anything that is needed outside of the house.

Lol, I got exhausted just reading this thread! It did remind me, however, of when I used to do a lot of housework. My house was sparkly clean. Now, not so much.

We have a large house now, moved in a couple of years ago. He rarely cleans his room or bathroom. He does his own laundry. I keep my room clean, my bathroom clean, do my own laundry.

The common areas, living room which we use as a dining room, hall ways, basement, two additional rooms, and the family room get cleaned once a month at least. The dust police haven't ever shown up so I suppose this is ok. The family room gets vacuumed more often now that we have a hair shedding puppy. I might of made a mistake adding the puppy to our lives.

The kitchen gets cleaned every day. The floor gets mopped much more often since the puppy joined us. I guess you know why, lol. We cook very little little. The sign in my kitchen says I serve three types of meals, frozen, microwave, and fast food. Occasionally a meat loaf gets made. Occasionally we cook on the holidays or family days.

Family days are once a month. Thus the once a month deep cleaning, lol. We converted the living room to a dining room and it can seat 15 people. More if we really need to. Most of the family shows up. We have one granddaughter who rarely shows up, one grandson who is mentally ill and never shows up, and my extremely disabled son who we can no longer transport.

Plus, since he chokes so much on his puréed food now, no one in the family is comfortable feeding him. Otherwise we all pile into my house. Enough seating at the tables but not enough in the family room. Younger ones sit on the vacuumed floor. LOL.

I also read the post about your step daughters so a note about that. Hope it's ok. I have two adopted disabled sons who have no family connections. But my daughter adopted two daughters, from seperate families. She adopted them when they were fifteen years old. She can't have children and never wanted a baby. (Although her daughter and granddaughter live with her now.)

Those daughters came with extreme baggage which included bio moms and biological brothers and sisters. It's been a challenge. But totally worth it. It's also been a roller coaster ride. I think the key to the situation is just go along for that ride, never say anything negative about bio mom, and always be positive that they know you love them.

I love my son's girlfriend! If they split up, I've told him I get to keep her. Anyway, best of luck to the both of you.

The girls get their laundry. I do the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Aneeda72 View Post

I also read the post about your step daughters so a note about that. Hope it's ok. I have two adopted disabled sons who have no family connections. But my daughter adopted two daughters, from seperate families. She adopted them when they were fifteen years old. She can't have children and never wanted a baby. (Although her daughter and granddaughter live with her now.)

Those daughters came with extreme baggage which included bio moms and biological brothers and sisters. It's been a challenge. But totally worth it. It's also been a roller coaster ride. I think the key to the situation is just go along for that ride, never say anything negative about bio mom, and always be positive that they know you love them.

I love my son's girlfriend! If they split up, I've told him I get to keep her. Anyway, best of luck to the both of you.
    Very much this! It's exactly the line I walk with them! Thanks Aneeda.
    Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not, then it's not the end!

My daughter and her husband split up doing the housework. Their granddaughter, who is a bit mentally slow, does not help. She is pretty oppositional. (Sorry. Off topic again.)

The granddaughter ran away at 18 to her bio mom and joined the carnival, lol. Got hooked up and posted on social media that she was pg. My daughter had been looking for her for three years, tracked her down, and brought her, and beautiful great granddaughter home.

My daughter is now raising the baby she never wanted, and who she is totally in love with. Baby is now getting the care she needs. Granddaughter (21) is safe and learning how to raise a child under strict supervision. Baby daddy is out of the picture as far as baby is concerned. Granddaughter says as soon as he finished with his current girlfriend they might get back together.

As you can see, granddaughter is a bit slow.

Ronni,

You are welcome.

Division of labor. Wife tells me what to do. I do the work.
    Growing old is like being increasingly penalized for a crime you haven't committed.

Ronni, as I've aged I can't get to that perfect place for everything in it's place OCD stuff. I'm sure you'll both work it out as you say both neat people...I'd be more worried about the legal issues and taking care of each other in our aging years. You are braver than me for sure. Didn't you say you were getting married...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.