Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

United Airlines Pilots and Planes

I am sitting here watching an episode of “Air Disasters” on the Smithsonian Channel. This episode is about passengers getting out alive when a catastrophe occurs. My main fear of flying and being the pilot was always what to do if we had a fire onboard.

I studied this occurrence more than any other incidents. When possible, I would have a Trainer set up a flight simulator that would have a fire event onboard and then use different methods of either putting out the fire, or getting the plane on the ground. I always assumed that the biggest thing that I would have to deal with would be panic. It’s only human nature to want to save your life and want to live.

The closest thing that I ever experienced while in the air was when a grinder under the toilet in one of the lavatories became jammed and the motor began to smoke. At first, the F/A thought that we had a fire onboard. I sent the F/O back to check it and he called me on the intercom phone and told me that smoke was pouring out of the toilet. It was because of my training that I knew what the problem was, so I had reached over to the circuit breaker panel and tripped the breaker for that lavatory. Problem solved. BTW, never put a disposable diaper down the toilet in an airplane.

Thankfully, I never had to deal with any flames, but it always remained a concern of mine.
    "SEMPER FI"

As a passenger I had on experience in a plane with an engine on fire, & another one where there was danger. The first, flying from NYC to Albany on long gone Mohawk twin commuter plane. Barely out of Ny one of the engines started to smoke & pilot flew us right over th Hudson River at about 500 ft. Guess he was going to put us down in the water instead of th densely populated shore. Landed at a far end of Albany airport with foam trucks & all & everyone applauded.
    Second was supposed to be direct from Rome to NY pilot announced that a "light had come on & we were going to dump fuel & go into Heathrow. Well, we had to fly round & round while the fuel was draining, could even see it going by the Windows & smell it strongly. Then some idiot lit up a cigarette about 3/4 of the way from the front &'the passengers near him jumped him& the flight attendant took his cigs & lighter. Finally landed at a far corner of Heathrow & herded into an empty hall where we were locked in till they put us on another plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezerette View Post
    As a passenger I had on experience in a plane with an engine on fire, & another one where there was danger. The first, flying from NYC to Albany on long gone Mohawk twin commuter plane. Barely out of Ny one of the engines started to smoke & pilot flew us right over th Hudson River at about 500 ft. Guess he was going to put us down in the water instead of th densely populated shore. Landed at a far end of Albany airport with foam trucks & all & everyone applauded.
    Second was supposed to be direct from Rome to NY pilot announced that a "light had come on & we were going to dump fuel & go into Heathrow. Well, we had to fly round & round while the fuel was draining, could even see it going by the Windows & smell it strongly. Then some idiot lit up a cigarette about 3/4 of the way from the front &'the passengers near him jumped him& the flight attendant took his cigs & lighter. Finally landed at a far corner of Heathrow & herded into an empty hall where we were locked in till they put us on another plane.
    WOW!! Those are some experiences. Any idea what the light was for? I was kind of surprised he dumped fuel over a light coming on. I can’t imagine what it was, unless it may have been electrical.

The guy with the cigarette was lucky he was able to walk off the plane.

Even the thought of a fire onboard would sometimes give me the shivvers. Just a few years ago, a United flight inbounds from Germany made an emergency landing in Boston. I was retired then, but I spoke with the F/O during a visit to my home airport
    a year later. He told me that the fire was in an oven in the rear galley. I think one of the pilots actually spotted it. Scary!
    "SEMPER FI"

Quote Originally Posted by Geezerette View Post

Mohawk Airlines right in my neck of the woods. Use to service terminal and hanger machines when I worked for ARA vending co. in Oriskany, NY.

872CC1C1-4E34-4920-BAB0-6F727AF7E7A2.jpeg 7E884349-7EAE-458C-80E2-648B6A288488.jpeg
    We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.