Has Anybody Used an Air Fryer?

Has Anybody Used an Air Fryer?

I'm kind of fascinated by those air fryer things. Or any of the convection small appliance things? I'm not really interested in frying things (I can't eat hardly any fat), but all the hype says they are good for roasting things and retaining the juices, etc. Has anyone used one and did you like it?

Also, are they loud?

Hey Butterfly,

Yes I do have one. Not excessively loud. This is what I use it for:

Frozen Shrimp
    Tater Tots
    I had a few leftover chicken fingers frozen from Publix and put in the Fryer to crisp up
    Cut up and seasoned cauliflower, zucchini, mushrooms
    Leftover roasted vegetables
    Calamari
    Chicken breaded fingers/Nuggets

I do enjoy having one.

Hope me this helps.

my daughter has one and she bakes biscuits in hers plus french fries and all kinds of vegetables

I don't have any experience with an air fryer but I do use this Oster toaster oven with the convection feature. The only noise is from the ticking of the timer but you don't need to use that setting.

https://www.oster.com/oster/oster-de...SSTTVDFL2.html

I use it every day and it works great for many frozen foods, pizza, toasting bread, etc...

I have not tried to bake anything in it but one of these days I will attempt to make some cookies or rolls from readymade grocery store dough in a pouch or a tube.

One thing that I use the toast setting for is frozen hash brown potato patties, I place them directly on the rack, no additional fat/oil, and they crisp up/brown in the time it takes me to scramble a couple of eggs.

I rarely use my grown-up stove since I got my little Easy-Bake oven.

Good luck!

I was going to buy one but after reading the reviews of them I backed off. A toaster oven and regular oven and slow cooker will do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
    I don't have any experience with an air fryer but I do use this Oster toaster oven with the convection feature. The only noise is from the ticking of the timer but you don't need to use that setting.

https://www.oster.com/oster/oster-de...SSTTVDFL2.html

I use it every day and it works great for many frozen foods, pizza, toasting bread, etc...

I have not tried to bake anything in it but one of these days I will attempt to make some cookies or rolls from readymade grocery store dough in a pouch or a tube.

One thing that I use the toast setting for is frozen hash brown potato patties, I place them directly on the rack, no additional fat/oil, and they crisp up/brown in the time it takes me to scramble a couple of eggs.

I rarely use my grown-up stove since I got my little Easy-Bake oven.

Good luck!
    Thanks. That's actually the oven I was looking at (along with the air fryers). I don't use my grown-up oven much either, anyway, but I want a nice way to roast or bake a chicken or chicken breasts or fish. I'm trying to decide between the air fryer and a little convection oven like yours. I have an old large size toaster oven that I used to use, but it is on its last legs.

The reason I asked about the noise is that a friend has a convection contraption that sounds like a helicopter is getting ready to take off in her kitchen. It would drive me nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinot Grigio View Post
    Hey Butterfly,

Yes I do have one. Not excessively loud. This is what I use it for:

Frozen Shrimp
    Tater Tots
    I had a few leftover chicken fingers frozen from Publix and put in the Fryer to crisp up
    Cut up and seasoned cauliflower, zucchini, mushrooms
    Leftover roasted vegetables
    Calamari
    Chicken breaded fingers/Nuggets

I do enjoy having one.

Hope me this helps.
    Thanks for your reply . I'm looking for something to do chicken breasts, fish, etc. in. Not much interested in pre-prepared frozen stuff. Have you tried doing un-battered chicken in yours?

Quote Originally Posted by twinkles View Post
    my daughter has one and she bakes biscuits in hers plus french fries and all kinds of vegetables
    Thanks for replying -- does she do raw chicken in hers?

Quote Originally Posted by fmdog44 View Post
    I was going to buy one but after reading the reviews of them I backed off. A toaster oven and regular oven and slow cooker will do it.
    I'm not too crazy about the reviews I've read, either. I don't like to use my big regular oven, and my old toaster oven is dying; plus I like the idea o the convection feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    Thanks for your reply . I'm looking for something to do chicken breasts, fish, etc. in. Not much interested in pre-prepared frozen stuff. Have you tried doing un-battered chicken in yours?
    So far I've done plain chicken parts, fish, and pork chops in the little pan that came with the oven, they all come out fine using the regular bake setting.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.