Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your first teacher

My 1st grade teacher was Sister William Ann and she was wonderful.

My first teacher in kindergarten was a woman called Miss Wick, who was kind of a tomboy type who could hit a softball really well. I stopped by her retirement party when I was in 6th grade and got a hug from her...

Sister Muriel. Tiny but tough, always gentle though!
    Drama-free

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzybuddy View Post
    Yup, Mrs. Boudreaux. I fell in love with her. No, I really. She had to call my mom, because I kept inviting her home for dinner. She retired from teaching the year I was in her class.
    This made me giggle. So so cute...falling in love with her in 1st grade and repeatedly inviting her to dinner.

I don't remember my first grade teacher at all but I remember all of my boyfriend's names Freddie would give me little presents and I would sing to him on the playground while jumping rope:

"My boyfriend's name is freddie
    he comes from the land of spaghetti
    with a dimple on his nose and 10 flat toes
    and this is the way my story goes

I L-O-V-E, love him
    and K-I-S-S, kiss him
    I K-I-S-S, kiss him
    in the D-A-R-K, dark dark dark

It was a jump rope song where you insert a friend's name and rhyme it with something silly for where he's from. I never really kissed him but wanted to. Then there was Billy. I could go on and on

First year was Miss Morton. She had green scaly skin, travelled to school on a broomstick and breathed fire. I also think she ate small children for dinner. I seem to recall that every year alternated between nice, and tyrant. Second year was Miss Lyle - she was nice. Third year was Miss Hunter who ate first year teachers for dinner and picked her teeth with their broomsticks. I can't remember who came after that. It seemed that all the female teachers were "Miss".
    We're not here for a long time. We're here for a good time

I remember first grade but not kindergarten. I remember most of the the others.

Mrs.DeMartinis,very sweet lady,would sing "Getting to Know You".
    Got my tonsils out,was a big deal,lots of pain,ran my poor father ragged,I wanted lemon Italian ice,NOT lemon sherbet!
    I dropped out,it wasn't mandatory in 1959-60.

Mrs. Hawkins. What an old bat she was! Horrible woman who thought I was stupid when in fact I was bored. Then I had nuns for a couple years. Sister Agnes Louise. Also an old bat and mean as a snake. I guess the irony here is that I became a teacher myself. I'm proud to say most of my kids loved me, and together we learned a lot.

Miss Ambuhl. A kind, dedicated teacher, who got all her first graders off to a good start.

I very fondly remember my first (and second -- two classes in the same room) grade teacher. Her name was Mrs. Mortensen and she taught me to READ, which I thought was the greatest thing in the world, and opened up the world for me.

Yes I do! Miss Book.

Well, my kindergarten teacher during a Halloween party, wanted me to stand behind a pumpkin and talk, pretending to be the voice of the damned pumpkin...After I muttered how stupid this was, at age five, I was grounded and sent to the cloakroom for 15 minutes....A girl named Holly brought me a piece of cake...

Aww yes...Miss Jolley. Grade one. Tried to change me from left handed to right handed. That didn't work. Other than that she was nice...In a grandmotherly sort of way.

She also had this disciplinary thing...Everyone in class started each month with 50 good points and every "indiscretion" would lose the student one point.

What she didn't realize for a couple of months the boys would compete to see who could get the lowest mark. I won in October. The bad person list was stopped in
    December.

Mrs Miles was my first grade teacher and maybe she was a good teacher but all I recall of her is her big fat arms as she spanked children with a yard stick! I recently looked at her photo and she pretty well had normal size arms and not quite as I remembered. She was a meanie though! We had 3 Linda's in my class, Big Linda, Linda Ann (me), and little Linda. Little Linda was a tiny girl who obviously was too young to be in school. She would leave her desk and walk around the class and look at things and appeared to have no idea where she was. As I remember, and I hope I'm wrong, Little Linda got a HARD spanking with the yard stick every day for not staying at her desk! I know it happened at lest 2or 3 times a week. She would make her bend over the side of the desk and in those days girls usually wore dresses to school, and wham the hell out of her little behind and legs!! I have NO IDEA why her parents didn't find out and do something about that woman! As I recall Little Linda was there the whole year though. I often wonder what became of her. I also wonder if she kept these spankings to herself or if she mentioned it at home. Mrs. Miles gave a few of the other girls spankings from time to time but I could tell they were not as hard as the ones Little Linda got. She also whipped up on the boys regularly. I wonder how many yard sticks she went through a year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.