Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your worst teacher, ever. What did he/she do, in class?

Posts here remind me of the movie, Matilda. It's a cute movie about a studious little girl and a horrid school principal.

As for me... the only horrible teacher I had was in the 4th grade. She was an old French woman who overtly played favorites and I was definitely NOT one of her favorites. The old witch didn't like me and gave me bad grades. Thank God my family moved in the middle of the school year and I changed schools. If I had stayed under the thumb of that old witch I wouldn't have passed 4th grade. The teacher in my new school told my parents she was concerned at first... but was surprised to discover I was smart and did good work [and I passed 4th grade.]

I don't recall ever having any teachers who got physical with us...back in the 1950's. However, when I was a Senior in high school, I was part of a small group who had completed all of the normal math classes...up through Trigonometry. They gave us an option to attend a class taught by an elderly teacher who was so good that the school district gave her permission to teach as long as she wanted. She attended a theoretical math class in Coordinated Algebra/Trig at the University of Colorado in the evening, then brought that to us the next day. It was pretty intensive, and she walked around the classroom with a ruler, and would give anyone who wasn't paying full attention a minor smack. However, none of us got upset, as we almost looked upon her as a 2nd grandmother. On balance, my school years, and teachers were all quite good.
    Things get better with age....I'm approaching Magnificent.

I attended a girl's boarding school in Toronto in late 60's when I was in 8th&9th grade
    My social studies teacher was from Wales,I had a hard time understanding her because of her accent, as did a couple of classmates,she didn't like us at all.
    We got back at her big time,one of the girls somehow got a got a key to her room,we ransacked it e.g ,short sheeted the bed,put Vasline jelly on the toilet
    Another girl squealed on us,we all got expelled but I didn't care,my parents weren't happy but I sure was
    Walkers Take It All In Strides

Wow. I just remember a high school teacher who used to use physical force on us.

If your foot was out in the aisle he used to kick it your ankle.

I saw a friend of mine at coffee who went to school with me and I asked him if he remembered that teacher because he whacked the both of us for laughing at a guy.

I asked my friend what he was doing on Saturday and he asked me why. Because I'm going out to pee on that teachers grave.

He started laughing. And I told him the next day I didn't make it because there was too long of a line up.

Quote Originally Posted by Camper6 View Post
    Wow. I just remember a high school teacher who used to use physical force on us.

If your foot was out in the aisle he used to kick it your ankle.

I saw a friend of mine at coffee who went to school with me and I asked him if he remembered that teacher because he whacked the both of us for laughing at a guy.

I asked my friend what he was doing on Saturday and he asked me why. Because I'm going out to pee on that teachers grave.

He started laughing. And I told him the next day I didn't make it because there was too long of a line up.
    I wanted to do the same on the witch's grave, but I never got around to it. Lucky for me: She'd probably reach up from the ground and grab me!

Having read your post Gary, and mention of school desks ... I thought I'd post a picture of ours in primary and senior school...

The first were used in every class except, Music , Homecraft, Science, Art, and Business & Economics class... ( we had desks for typewriters in the latter)

History, English, Maths, Social science, and RE...were these... (late 60's and early 70's) WE only used the inkwell, in English class...

...and some-times these....

Music class and RE, ... these... This one has been restored ours didn't look as nice...

..Business & Economics class... typewriter desk....

..and science and art benches with high wooden stools..... ( could only find these as a close match , ours were wooden stools, and the benches were 12 feet long and there were 3 benches to each class with enough stools for 30 or more kids,..

Quote Originally Posted by hollydolly View Post
    Having read your post Gary, and mention of school desks ... I thought I'd post a picture of ours in primary and senior school...

The first were used in every class except, Music , Homecraft, Science, Art, and Business & Economics class... ( we had desks for typewriters in the latter)

History, English, Maths, Social science, and RE...were these... (late 60's and early 70's) WE only used the inkwell, in English class...

...and some-times these....

Music class and RE, ... these... This one has been restored ours didn't look as nice...

..Business & Economics class... typewriter desk....

..and science and art benches with high wooden stools..... ( could only find these as a close match , ours were wooden stools, and the benches were 12 feet long and there were 3 benches to each class with enough stools for 30 or more kids,..

Boy, you guys were fancy

We had these;

We got to carve our initials into the wood

And, a really cool eighth grader took a razor to his and scraped off all the other scratches and scars, then varnished it

He may've been a first inspiration to me in regard to wood

He also carried a hunting knife and hatchet on his belt.
    I had a good enough hunting knife, but that hatchet...whoa

I remember his name, Mark Pugh
    Had to be tough with a name like Pugh
    “Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.” Emerson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.