Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

There's no such thing as a stupid question...

After asking a shop assistant for a top in my size she said “aren’t there any on the rail” ? .......

I was in nursing school and when on the OB floor we each had to take a turn at teaching a gathering of new mothers who wanted to attend. Back then we didn't have all the disposable items they have today. We instructed the new Moms to fill the baby bottles about half way with water and put them in a pot of water and boil for a certain length of time before filling with the formula. Nipples were to be sterilized also.

One mom raised her hand and asked if she should dump the water out of the bottles before filling with the formula. I pretty much thought that was a given since we were discussing how to sterilize a bottle.

After,I wondered how many babies would have been given watered down formula. I never missed mentioning that step in other classes although I thought that was a pretty dumb question to be asked. Maybe dumb on my part for assuming they knew. I did notice my instructor in the back of the room snickering when the question was asked.

Northeast PA. Live near the NASCAR track, with deer, bears, rabbits. On an always growing lawn.
    About Peppers horn question-
    During Navy boot camp, my buddy came and sat on my bunk. He said a shipmate would always follow him into the head(bathroom). My buddy said, "Watch". He got up and walked to the head. Sure enough, the other mate got up and followed into the head. So both my buddy and I confronted the other mate. "Why are you following me into the head?". The other mate said, "Well, he's Jewish". We said, "So what?". The other mate replied, "I wanted to see his tail."

My personal favorite from a number of years ago: visiting the grounds of a restored farmstead along the Blue Ridge Pkwy in VA, heard a noise & happened to look downslope where some old apple trees were, big black thing rummaging about. Went to the Ranger & quietly told him I thought there might be a bear in the area. He checked , nodded & called the few tourists together & told them to stay close to the house or inside it for a while due to possible bear sighting.
    There were a couple of Noo Yawkuhs in the group, already acting like they'd never been outdoors before.

The woman claps her hands and goes "Ooooooh! Are the bay-ahs friendly?"

The Ranger advised them "not usually" and advised them to go into the cabin for a while till the bay-ah moved on.l

In regard to the Jewish question---that was obviously a bad joke.
    facetious, certainly very rude.

A park ranger in Vermont I believe, once said that a lady looked up in the sky and
    asked if the moon was the same moon in Ohio. lol

Stuck inside of Mobile, with the Memphis Blues again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary O' View Post
    Grocery checkout;
    ‘Did you find everything?’
    Every one of those stupid questions that some poor schmuck has to ask you because someone in management has directed them to do so.
    "Some velvet morning when I'm straight"

Quote Originally Posted by Trade View Post
    Every one of those stupid questions that some poor schmuck has to ask you because someone in management has directed them to do so.
    I know

same with postal clerks and their list of hazardous material questions when trying to ship a package

or car salesmen....wait...not car salesmen...they're their own originators
    “Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.” Emerson

In regard to the Jewish question---that was obviously a bad joke.
    facetious, certainly very rude.
    No, Victor. It was a REAL story. Not a joke. I was in a very very small town in a Western State. It was ignorance. It was 1963. This father/son duo truly believed Jews had horns. It was a common depiction in Europe for millennium. They had never met a Jew before.

Here's one of my favorites, when finally getting to the post office counter after inching my way up:

Clerk: How would you like to send this?

Me: Book rate, please.

Clerk: What does the package contain?

Me: A book.

Clerk: Does it contain anything else?

Me: No.

Clerk: Does the package contain explosives, alcohol, firearms, ammunition, chemicals, etc. etc.?

(I realize they are required to ask this about every package, so it's not really "dumb," but after you've said the package contains only a book, well, really? I used to go through this song and dance
    a lot when I was selling books on Amazon.)

Plus, I wonder how many people actually sending explosives or illegal firearms or chemicals would actually tell the clerk about it?

Northeast PA. Live near the NASCAR track, with deer, bears, rabbits. On an always growing lawn.
    About my "Jewish story" of the sailor, who believed Jews had tails, it is true. I couldn't believe, in 1968, someone could be that gullible. 1968 was the era of Civil Rights. It was a shock. It stands out in my memory. I really don't think you will have to ask a great many Americans before you find one, who believes in Jewish tails. It's probably the same number of Americans, who believe Blacks have a distinctive body odor.

I think the dumbest question anyone asked me was a few years ago while I was standing outside of a Doctor's office. A woman walked up to me and yelled to me "Do you think I'm fat "? I said No and then she said "Well my husband says I'm fat !"

Way too many to pick out the dumbest, but I remember once while boarding the passengers and I was standing at the entrance to the plane welcoming the passengers aboard, one fellow asked me if we would be stopping anywhere on the way out to San Francisco. It was a non stop flight.

I wanted to ask him, “What do you think the words non stop mean?”
    "SEMPER FI"

"How can I hep you?"

I used to work with a guy that got called from his wife while he was at work and everytime she called he would answer "Hello" and she would say "Whatcha doin'?' He would answer "Workin." Every call, every year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.