Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do you SLEEP too damn much?

Northeast PA. Live near the NASCAR track, with deer, bears, rabbits. On an always growing lawn.

Do you SLEEP too damn much?

Yeah, it's a cliche about an old geezer always falling asleep. I live in an assisted living facility. Quite frankly, we eat and sleep. I'm not sure how it happens, but sleep gradually takes a large part of your day. I enjoy a good nap. Something I never thought to do. Here at the home, we all nap, and we like it. But I wonder if this is normal? Do you SLEEP too damn much?

Normal?

IMO being normal is highly overrated.

It's my normal, I'm like an old cat or dog I eat and sleep when I feel the need to eat and sleep.

In total, I sleep about nine hours a day, usually one long sleep and a couple of shorter naps.

I enjoy my routine and it doesn't hurt anybody so how bad can it be.

I sleep too damn little! Fall asleep easily & after only a very few hours am awake. No naps during the day. Not good for me, am working on this with my doctor. Sleeping pills do not alter this pattern. Tired mornings, wakeful afternoons and early evenings. Get tired for bed around 10:30 pm then the whole pattern starts all over again.

I'm often awakened in the night for various reasons so if I feel like taking a power-nap during the day I consider it healthy. Sleep is good.

Researchers say there is a point when you can get too much but I think it's natural when we age to need more. Their studies say 6-7 hours is good but more is not. Their studies don't apply to us in my opinion.

Aches and pains (and some meds
    ?) often interrupt that good Rem sleep at night in seniors. Sleeping with our pets is another, especially when they leave you only a tiny spot of real estate in the bed . That's a good excuse for needing more sleep.

Well there's the proof if ever it was needed.. all you folks up and posting so early... and why not indeed? ( it's 10,30am here )

I have a problem sleeping just as you describe pepper.. getting off is no problem, staying asleep is another matter, and it impacts on my life because I then fall asleep during daylight hours!!

Still, I am a exponent of getting as much sleep for everyone that they need.. and like you Aunt Bea, I say sleep whenever your body tells you..

I usually get around 8 hours, which makes up for all those years when I was working early hours and didn't get enough sleep. I don't take naps in the daytime, never liked the idea, the few times I did in the past I felt more tired and worse after the nap. My mother when she got older had trouble sleeping at night, but she refused to take any sleeping pills (which was a good thing). She read a lot during the day in her easy chair and often would fall asleep on and off while reading.

I don't know Fuzzy - - -what's "normal" ? I sleep well and still enjoy an afternoon nap. I read of so many folks having trouble sleeping through the night and I don't look forward to that day. So far so good and at 85 I may just drift off into "the BIG sleep" one of these nights and any potential sleep problems are behind me.

I agree with listening to your body and if you need to sleep, then do so. I don't usually take naps but if I needed or wanted to, I would. I think sleep is a wonderful thing. Lately I have been dreaming a lot about my parents, both of whom are deceased. The dreams are all good.

No, I don't sleep too much. I'd love to be able to sleep more.

Good topic, fuzzybuddy. Thanks.
    Sing, sing a song. Make it simple to last your whole life long - The Carpenters

I think I'm in Florida, but I'm not sure any more......my GPS blew away.
    I love my naps. I don't sleep well for long periods of time, but I'm sure I get 9 hours overall.
    If we're ever in a situation where I am "the voice of reason", then we are in a very, very bad situation.

I usually get a full nights sleep...about 10:30 till around 7AM. I've been in the habit of taking a nip of flavored vodka about 9PM, and that really relaxes me when bedtime comes. I often have trouble staying awake after Supper when I flop down in the recliner...most nights, unless there is something really good on TV, I usually miss about a hour of TV and "ask your doctor" commercials.
    Things get better with age....I'm approaching Magnificent.

Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    I'm often awakened in the night for various reasons so if I feel like taking a power-nap during the day I consider it healthy. Sleep is good.

Researchers say there is a point when you can get too much but I think it's natural when we age to need more. Their studies say 6-7 hours is good but more is not.
    Their studies don't apply to us in my opinion.

Aches and pains (and some meds?) often interrupt that good Rem sleep at night in seniors. Sleeping with our pets is another, especially when they leave you only a tiny spot of real estate in the bed . That's a good excuse for needing more sleep.
    Totally believe in both of these!
    Love Rocky Mountain And Yellowstone National Parks

Since my wife still works a full-time job, 8:30AM to 5PM, we both TRY to get to bed between 10 and 10:30PM. I say "try", because if there is something good (to us) on tv, like the Golden Globe Awards was, we stayed up until 11PM, when they ended. Funny thing is, we recorded it on our Comcast DVR, but wanted to see who won Best Actor, Best Actress and Best Picture Awards. We are REALLY into movies! Anyway, don't ask us how we felt the next morning at 6:45AM, when we both get up. Even though I'm retired, I still get up when she does.

There are times she will have a hard time getting to sleep and will take a 200mg Motrin. Most of the time, that one little pill will knock her out for the night. However, there are times when she will wake up in the middle of the night and not be able to get back to sleep. She will do our banking (spreadsheets) or read her Cowboy Bible. About an hour later, she will come back to bed and go straight to sleep.

As for me, I generally have no problem going to sleep, but if I have a beer for supper, I'll be darn near guaranteed to wake up at least twice to hit the bathroom. AM getting up, no problem. I've been known to get up at 5AM, probably from my old farming, Navy and one employment job. At that job, I had to be there at 7AM and lived 45 minutes from work. Mon. thru Fri, 5:15AM "get up for work" time.

Unless we go out for breakfast on the weekends, when I get up at 7AM or before, I will let my wife sleep in until 9AM or so. Around here, if you arrive at a restaurant after 9AM, you'll be waiting some time to get seated. It's the population here...…….lots!

Naps...…..depending on the weather, and how tired we are, will lay down in the afternoon for an hour or so on weekends. Ten years ago, we didn't do that, but today at 70, we do.

Could someone PLEASE tell me why I write so much? LOL
    Love Rocky Mountain And Yellowstone National Parks

Could someone PLEASE tell me why I write so much? LOL

You have a lot you want to say. It's fine by me.

Sadly not...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.