Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Husband moved to transition care

Wedll, Terry, I can at least say been there, done that when it comes to therapy. I had it after my hip replacement surgery. I remember getting pain meds before PT. Though there were times I did not want them, because I did not want to get hooked on them. The nurse sat me down and explained that while she could not MAKE me take the meds, she could strongly encourage me to take them. I am glad I did.
    The doctor at rehab wanted to prescribe me strong meds at discharge and that was where I drew the line and said no. I had not asked for or needed the strong meds for a couple days, and did not want them at home. I told the doc that I still had a few pills left from the prescription my doctor gave me before surgery, and I promised I would take them if I felt I needed them.

If there's a Rock and Roll heaven, you know they have a hell of a band.

Quote Originally Posted by Marie5656 View Post
    Wedll, Terry, I can at least say been there, done that when it comes to therapy. I had it after my hip replacement surgery. I remember getting pain meds before PT. Though there were times I did not want them, because I did not want to get hooked on them. The nurse sat me down and explained that while she could not MAKE me take the meds, she could strongly encourage me to take them. I am glad I did.
    The doctor at rehab wanted to prescribe me strong meds at discharge and that was where I drew the line and said no. I had not asked for or needed the strong meds for a couple days, and did not want them at home. I told the doc that I still had a few pills left from the prescription my doctor gave me before surgery, and I promised I would take them if I felt I needed them.
    I declined the pain pills after going home, too, even though I continued with outpatient therapy for a long time. I was scared of them but they sure made therapy bearable while in the hospital.

Rick has had some OT and PT. Today the PT had him standing up with a walker, and he walked over to the chair. They brought him in a different, longer bed. The one he had was just to short, and his feet were hitting the end and hanging over. It did not seem comfortable. Plus it is one of those adjustible, theraputic air mattresses, and apparently it was not set to the right pressure, and that was uncomfortable. I just talked with him on the phone and he said he is more comfortable.

It'll take time; sounds like he's coming along. I'm sure he'd rather be in his own bed at home.

Marie, a walker can be a life saver. When I was only 39 I had a broken hip and while it healed I had to use a walker. The commercial "I've fallen and I can't get up" was popular and my brothers teased me.

Apple, he has used a walker when out for a while now. And a quad cane in the house. They are impressed he was able to stand up with no help from them. Just using the walker for balance. He asked if he could just stand for a few minutes because it felt good. And he did. The nurse has wanted to help him wash up and he did some while standing.

The news looks to be all good Marie, I have been missing
    and am just catching up.

10 minutes from home, walk it and get fit.

Great news anyway that he is back.

Mike.
    A Scot Living in Croydon.

Here is the latest. Looks like he will be in the rehab center until the end of the month. He gets 20 days with no co-pay, so that is what they are working on to get him out. He is getting OT and PT 6 days a week. He stands, walks and does all that kind of fun stuff.
    His legs were pretty weak, so he needs an assist sitting himself up. But that came from his post surgery time when he was not as mobile as he should have been.
    I took today off from going in to see him. Needed that recharge, plus I wanted to get stuff done around here.

Hope Rick can be back home at the end of the month, glad you took today off from seeing him, but I bet you did more of getting stuff done than recharging.

Thanks for the update, Marie. Let Rick know your internet friends are cheering him on. Just hang in there. Little steps grow into bigger strides.

Glad for the updates Marie. I hope he is able to get home before the end of the month. Does he have a favorite pet you can take down to visit him? When our neighbor was in rehab we took her 2 little dogs down to visit her a couple times and I don't know who loved it the most, the dogs or her.

The boss.0118191150-1.jpg

Marie, he sure does look like the Boss , like nothing will keep him down! Cute, too.

Hi Marie,thanks for posting picture of Rick aka'The Boss'
    Please tell him we are saying prayers for him& you so he can come home at the end of the month Sue
    Walkers Take It All In Strides

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.