Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Any off grid enthusiasts on here? Or anyone who's living off the grid?

Quote Originally Posted by old medic View Post
    We are working towards it, Bought a place that its restoration will be for off grid, Planting for year round food sources.

My shop is already all solar.
    That’s great, congratulations.
    Stay sexy my friends.

I'm not off-grid, but have been a solar supporter and user for awhile. May I ask how much solar power you have and what kind of storage you're using? These new 'power wall' storage systems are really nice --- don't know if you have that or not.
    Growing old is like being increasingly penalized for a crime you haven't committed.

That is beautiful!

We do have some solar and was a member of a site a couple years ago but we have since ate all the preps since we got behind with a large purchase and still paying for that mistake.

I'm not much into prepping now in a shtf situation we wouldn't last a day once the hordes got hungry. We are not as far in the woods as you are.
    But we have some neighbors who are who also keep to themselves. People here are always practicing for hunting or just getting their aim. When we fist moved here I freaked out from all the shooting,lol. Now I just hope they shoot down. Y2K they already had a plan.

My shop set up is a 100 watt harbor freight kit on the roof, 2 6V golf cart batteries and a 1000 watt inverter feeding my breaker panel, wired for lights a few outlets and my compressor.
    Used an 30 Amp RV plug to feed the panel from a generator when the compressor needs to run.

I have a Son-in-Law who is an executive in a major solar power company...mostly large commercial properties...and a couple of years ago, he gave me an estimate...at Cost..of what it would take to get Off the Grid. We have a total electric home, and our annual electric bills run in the $3,000 per year range. Based upon his estimates, it would probably take 7 or 8 years to just break even. The biggest concern would be the battery storage needed to ride out the extended periods of minimal sunlight we get in this region, especially during the Winter....the basement would probably have to be filled with batteries....not a very practical option for individual houses in this area.
    Things get better with age....I'm approaching Magnificent.

Quote Originally Posted by old medic View Post
    My shop set up is a 100 watt harbor freight kit on the roof, 2 6V golf cart batteries and a 1000 watt inverter feeding my breaker panel, wired for lights a few outlets and my compressor.
    Used an 30 Amp RV plug to feed the panel from a generator when the compressor needs to run.
    Do you use the Trojan T-105 batteries? Ours has lasted for 12 years before we changed them. We got another set of 6 a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    That’s great, congratulations.

Are you using mono panels or do you think there is a difference? Ours are Suniva. Not set up all ours is stored.

This is helpful to some. Skip first 3 min.s to get to subject.

Fuses vs circuit breakers. Good one for those just learning. I watched it 3 years ago and forgot almost all of it now, but we do have a ' Solar For Dummies ' book to relate to if we ever use it. Our system is stored away from here for now since we take trips to see kids now and then. And a few teens have come onto property.

They are...'bought a setup someone had for camping .... The 140 watt Zamp briefcase panel went in the camper.
    The Batteries are in a rolling case with the inverter, and also serves as a portable power supply....
    Think I got deal @ $300

Quote Originally Posted by Don M. View Post
    ...... The biggest concern would be the battery storage needed to ride out the extended periods of minimal sunlight we get in this region, especially during the Winter....the basement would probably have to be filled with batteries....not a very practical option for individual houses in this area.
    You're behind on the technology. Powerwalls. A number of companies make them. Tesla is either the first, or one of the first. Check them out..............
    Growing old is like being increasingly penalized for a crime you haven't committed.

Quote Originally Posted by retiredtraveler View Post
    You're behind on the technology. Powerwalls. A number of companies make them. Tesla is either the first, or one of the first. Check them out..............
    Yes, I'm aware of these "Powerwalls". It would probably cost me about $15,000 to get one of these units installed...and I would probably need 2 to account for the limited sunshine we often have during the Winter months. A complete solar system, using Powerwalls would then probably run around $30,000. By the time we broke even with such a system....around 10 years....it would probably be time to replace these units, and start all over again.

https://www.energysage.com/solar/sol...-home-battery/
    Things get better with age....I'm approaching Magnificent.

Quote Originally Posted by Don M. View Post
    Yes, I'm aware of these "Powerwalls". It would probably cost me about $15,000 to get one of these units installed...and I would probably need 2 to account for the limited sunshine we often have during the Winter months. A complete solar system, using Powerwalls would then probably run around $30,000. By the time we broke even with such a system....around 10 years....it would probably be time to replace these units, and start all over again.
    Yup, Tesla and others seem to be dragging their feet in regards to mass production.
    Been watching them for over four years now.

Until then, it’s just too expensive to be economically feasible
    Meantime, off gridders fiddle around with stuff
    Some do OK…ish, but anyone says their good with it year round with their own tinkerings for all their power needs, just ain’t bein’ all that honest

Meanwhile, me and Honda gennys remain tight friends

“Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.” Emerson

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.