Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Any off grid enthusiasts on here? Or anyone who's living off the grid?

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    My cabin property is 100 miles from my home in the city, and my nearest neighbor to my cabin is a few miles down the road...Nice people, and we’ve talked a few times, so they know a little bit about me...The nearest town is 5 miles down the road and only has a population of 200 people...I’ve met a few people there, and been to the little convenience store in town, but no one knows me or anything about me...My neighbor says the locals ask him about me all the time...He says they always ask him “who is that big Italian guy that bought that property near you, he looks like a bad mofo?” LOL.
    Haha...guess no Zombie will mess with you!

Is it your cabin that is off grid? Don’t you worry that you might not be able to get there?

Thats also been a concern of mine...if I had a cabin...off grid.

Quote Originally Posted by squatting dog View Post
    top of the hill. no chance of flooding.
    We just need a few more clues, SD......

Quote Originally Posted by RadishRose View Post
    We just need a few more clues, SD......
    Haha..hes safe....I’m not walking up that hill!!

RR when I set out to build my house, everyone said build it down by the creek, it's so peaceful there. I took one look at the erosion on the banks and thought "no thanks" Today, I'm real glad I took my own advise. still raining and the creek is on the rise.
    Standing on the edge of the creek looking across at the 3 bent trees.
    Today, standing on the new edge of the creek looking across at the same 3 bent trees.
    the shallow clump of debris in front of those trees is about the original edge.
    And they're calling for more rain tonight and tomorrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by CeeCee View Post
    Haha..hes safe....Iím not walking up that hill!!
    LOL I hear you. It is quite a distance to the house, but that's only about 1/4 of the way to the paved road and mailbox.
    Here's looking back down at the gate. It's also an awful lot of grass to mow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by CeeCee View Post
    Haha...guess no Zombie will mess with you!

Is it your cabin that is off grid? Donít you worry that you might not be able to get there?

Thats also been a concern of mine...if I had a cabin...off grid.
    Being off grid simply means I'm not dependent on the countries electrical power grid...I don't have any public utilities on my land but I do have electricity, water and other power sources...I will be selling my home in the city in a few months and moving out to my cabin full time this summer, and building a new home.
    Stay sexy my friends.

Great to see other people who are well prepared.
    Prepared for what?
    "Nothing good happens after 2:00 a.m."

Quote Originally Posted by 911 View Post
    Prepared for what?
    Natural disasters, economic collapse, among many other possible scenarios.
    Stay sexy my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by 911 View Post
    Prepared for what?
    I don't really know 911, but it's the scout motto.

Being off grid simply means I'm not dependent on the countries electrical power grid...I don't have any public utilities on my land but I do have electricity, water and other power sources...I will be selling my home in the city in a few months and moving out to my cabin full time this summer, and building a new home.
    That sounds exciting!

Quote Originally Posted by RadishRose View Post
    I don't really know 911, but it's the scout motto.
    Natural disasters, economic collapse, among many other possible scenarios.
    Stay sexy my friends.

Sometimes I think the "best" preppers are naturally born to it. I've a friend who, although he would never call himself one, is probably the most effective "prepper" I can imagine. In this post, I'll call him "Rich".

First and foremost, Rich was born into a strong rural farming community that was the home of his, and many other local residents' families for many generations. His roots are very deep. He has a large number of children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren living in the area. He has countless friends as well, many of whom he's known for his entire life.

Like many of his neighbors, Rich has always been a part-time farmer, but he retired from a successful career as an engineer for General Motors. He has an amazing array of skills. He can repair almost any type of mechanical device, operate heavy equipment, and handle most of the building trades well. He raises crops. Until recently he hunted, and can can raise and butcher livestock. Rich and his wife raised their kids to be God-fearing Christians and most of them inherited their parents' values. They are all resourceful, self-reliant, industrious and skilled. Any one of them will (and does) unselfishly go out of their way to help a neighbor in good times or bad.

The community is close and in difficult times they automatically band together. The range of talent represented is very broad. Working together, I can think of very little they couldn't handle. But I don't know one of them who's given any thought to "prepping" - they're just who they are.

I greatly envy Rich. In a SHTF scenario, given a choice between a fortified bunker and Rich's farm, I'd take the farm any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Sometimes I think the "best" preppers are naturally born to it. I've a friend who, although he would never call himself one, is probably the most effective "prepper" I can imagine. In this post, I'll call him "Rich".

In a SHTF scenario, given a choice between a fortified bunker and Rich's farm, I'd take the farm any day.
    Greatly understated

It's the way it should be
    ďLive in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.Ē Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    I greatly envy Rich. In a SHTF scenario, given a choice between a fortified bunker and Rich's farm, I'd take the farm any day.
    Some people do tend to make it look easy.

I know a couple of folks that have always lived on the fringe of society making use of other peoples junk and they are hard to tell from the rest of the mainstream folks until you really take a close look at how they live. For those folks. knowledge and time are more important than money in creating a comfortable life.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.