Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Over 80, Is it better alone or with someone?

I think that's fine, but if you have kids that live close by? You should give them a key to your house, or wear one of those life alert thing's? My mom was living alone. My niece came by to see her, she didn't answer, so luckily she had a key, my mom had fallen down from a heart attack. So from there my brother Whose her legal guardian made her move to my sister's house. Have you considered a roommate? So you could still live in your home? The downside for my mom is that once he moved out, seems like she's given up on LIVING? Because she's lost her Independence I feel? She used to have breakfast with her friends, now she's lost that. She just stays in bed ALL the time, except for the bathroom.

If people want Independence and are enjoying life why not let them be? Patnono's mother might have preferred to die early but have breakfast with friends etc as long as she could. My, very independent mom died just after her 65th BD but at lest she lived the way she wanted to till she laid down on her couch and died. Her mom died (in her 70s) the same way after living independently for about 20 years. I always tell my kids I hope I just lay down on the couch and die when it's my time to go. I don't know if I'd want to live alone or not. I got married just after I turned 16 and both of us are still kicking. I do like my space but he is good about giving me plenty of room so it works out fine.

Excuse me but you don't know my mom to say what she preferred? So if you saw your mother on the floor you would leave her there? We CARED enough about her to realize that she could no longer live ALONE, so you would be making a BAD decision letting her to live ALONE knowing she shouldn't be ALONE to let her SUFFER???

Quote Originally Posted by Manatee View Post
    This was asked on a previous thread. This one is for the octogenarians. Would you remarry, cohabitate or stay single?
    Manatee--I'm not sure how many octogenarians have responded. I'm not there yet so I'll refrain from answering. Are you considering remarrying or just curious?

“The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance.” -- Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by WhatInThe View Post
    ...Alot of insurance pays for light routine home care now a days...
    "Alot of insurance"? Aren't all seniors on Medicare?

Only if you're 65 and older, if some want to buy additional medical, I think it's called Part B? Regular Medicare only pays 80%of your Bill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.