Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Raising Grace and Koda

Due to my broken toe, training Grace has come to a stand still for a while. Walking her is still very painful for me. She is not careful and steps on my foot.

We now have a door installed between the family room and hallway. We bought a baby gate to shut the family room off from the kitchen and today grace and I are in the family room. She has the crazies to say the least. She has her toys but prefers my shoes, slippers, the sack with the baby's Easter bonnet, crawling under the chairs and behind, and "tasting" everything with her tongue. Just like any lab puppy.

Now I can work on her inside behaviors. Hopefully, in two weeks, we can send her to board and train. But I love her despite her failings and she loves me despite mine.

Nor Cal, USA, south of Mt Shasta, west of Mt Lassen
    Quote Originally Posted by Aneeda72 View Post
    ...We got Koda at 9 months. We are his third family. He was mistreated, unknown to us. We paid a premium price for a trained dog who was only trained a little if you left the e collar on all the time, and used it at a high level. Yup, nope...
    E collar? Is this what I think it isa shock collar? Yipes!
    Granny B. & Mr. B.'s website (check out our Match Game and Cool Links): www.breaktimehq.com

E collar training is fine if you do it right. Koda's owner didn't. We went to get him fixed and there are no appointments till the end of September. I have no ideal how I will keep grace from motherhood, so to speak, if she comes into heat before then. Plus Koda never ever even humps anything and don't want to get him started.

I can't get grace fixed because there are no appointments and I might want her to have puppies. But not Koda puppy puppies as they both are big dogs. I would like to breed her to a small minature poodle. Sigh.

Grace goes to board and train for two to four weeks starting tomorrow. I will miss her terrible as I have become quite fond of her. She is going to work on basic obedience and be assessed for her ability to retrieve. This, as you might know, is a higher function than fetch. She is learning to fetch at home.

Grace will be in an outdoor kennel, hopefully they don't have fleas. It won't be a problem otherwise, she loves being outside, although she will be our inside dog. Potty training will have to be restarted when she comes home. Sigh. She was just starting to catch on to potty training. I just love her face, so expressive and cute.

We found a place that can get Koda fixed in June, thank heaven, so no accidental puppies.

Hope the training goes well and your toe feels better Aneeda. I have used a shock collar a long time ago when we took our younger dog camping in the wild, only used it on the low setting and tested it on my own leg to see how it was. She was a Standard Schnauzer and being able to responsibly use the collar was of benefit in certain situations where she started to wander off and maybe fall into a swift running river below, it got her attention and we were always able to call her to us after that. Here she is with our older dog Hans, both RIP.

Now I don't use it at all, I do have a young dog, but I watch him like a hawk when we're out in the woods and many times keep him on a retractable leash in certain areas, so far all has gone well.

We took Grace for training. I am a little uncomfortable with the kennel, but then again, I've never had a dog trained at a kennel before. I always had a dog trained at a training facility. The worst that can happen is I'm out the money and Grace doesn't get trained. I paid for a month.

It seemed clean, but very rustic-country. The kennels were outside. The trainer was about as old as us. There was plenty of land which you would expect with a hunting dog trainer. He seems to understand what I wanted, but it was much more informal than I am used to. It's at his house so the dogs are not left alone overnight.

I asked when we would pick her up and he said it depended. Due to weather like rain someday soon he wouldn't be able to train so those days would just be considered board rate days, not training days-so training could go longer than a month. Hmm. In any event, I told him I couldn't pay more than the agree amount which was 900 dollars for the month.

This used to be the typical amount for 3-4 weeks of board and train in our area. But I notice training in town, is now 1500.00 for two weeks and they don't work on fetch/retrieve. I really need fetch/retrieve. Frustrated, plus I miss Grace who will be fine in an outside kennel as she loves being outside.

We just about had her none barking and his dogs bark. She was getting better at potty training and we have to start over. But these problems would be anywhere we take her. He had decent reviews. We just have to see. He said he will let us know weekly how she is. I need to learn not to worry.

I've only been to obedience training in the past with one of my dogs in classes where I was there with him and he was interacting with me directly, we both learned at those classes. I showed him a couple of times in obedience shows after that, and he did well for a young dog. I hope Grace comes home and has all the training and behaviors that you expected, good luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.