Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Floating trashcans....

I thought after the crying Indian in a Don't pollute/litter campaign commercial I wouldn't see people litter the old fashioned way by just throwing what ever on the street, lawn or curb. Nobody wants to hold on to their very own trash(something we should know?). And cigarette smokers apparently not only don't care about their lungs but the environment as well. Some groups say cigarette filters are a big nasty.

To make matters worse when I go to a public place or an apartment complex with clearly marked trash and recycling containers half the people just wan't to get their trash off their hands frequently putting trash in recycling or recycling in trash. Then I go to the local supermarket that promotes plastic bag recycling. Their own employees sent out to clean up the parking lot just throw the trash in the first available container which is frequently a plastic bag recycling container. So why should the public give a frack about recycling when they employees of companies that promote recycling don't do it themselves. Contaminated recycling can make that entire batch unrecycleable unless the recycler wants to sort/clean up that load.

Quote Originally Posted by RadishRose View Post
    .....I've always wondered if part of space exploration wasn't driven by the need to put our garbage someplace else; nuclear waste, kid's play-gyms, yogurt cups, milk bottles, diapers....well the list goes on.
    The good news part of this is that at least more and more recycled plastic is actually being used. I redid my raised bed garden a couple of years ago and used plastic lumber. On one hand, yes, more plastic. On the other hand, they won't rot. The next generation of owners, should they keep the garden, will have those plastic timbers indefinitely.

And we happen to have well water too. So far, it's good.
    Growing old is like being increasingly penalized for a crime you haven't committed.

Quote Originally Posted by WhatInThe View Post
    .....To make matters worse when I go to a public place or an apartment complex with clearly marked trash and recycling containers half the people just wan't to get their trash off their hands frequently putting trash in recycling or recycling in trash. Then I go to the local supermarket that promotes plastic bag recycling. Their own employees sent out to clean up the parking lot just throw the trash in the first available container which is frequently a plastic bag recycling container......
    Yes. I see this daily too. Best we can do, with our local environmental organization, is to constantly educate people. The good news, is that there were no recycling bins 25 years ago. We've got systems in place, just need to get people to see that it's in their best interest to help clean things up.

It's a process.....
    Growing old is like being increasingly penalized for a crime you haven't committed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.