Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

If you think houses are expensive here....check this out.

If you think houses are expensive here....check this out.

If this is an example of housing costs in Toronto, I don't see how our Canadian neighbors can afford to own one.

https://news.yahoo.com/paid-500-000-...175320703.html

https://www.google.com/maps/place/54...!4d-79.3111146
    Things get better with age....I'm approaching Magnificent.

Goodness me that does seem to be expensive..is that normal for houses in that condition to cost so much or is it a seller trying their luck?..I can see by the google street map that it's in a run down looking area as well.. i thought the price might be reflecting a shack of a house in a salubrious area but it would seem not!!

Lot money in Toronto itself is VERY expensive. If that house was fixed up it would probably sell for a clean million. There are many areas in Toronto that are much much higher. My brother in law lives in an area and the house behind him just sold for a cool $15 million so that little house is cheap in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Keesha View Post
    Lot money in Toronto itself is VERY expensive. If that house was fixed up it would probably sell for a clean million. There are many areas in Toronto that are much much higher. My brother in law lives in an area and the house behind him just sold for a cool $15 million so that little house is cheap in comparison.
    That's almost ridiculous...in most areas here, that house would qualify as a shack, waiting to be demolished. Then, I can't imagine living in an area where the houses are only a couple of feet apart...if a person in one of those houses sneezes, half the neighborhood probably says "Gehundseit".
    Things get better with age....I'm approaching Magnificent.

Quote Originally Posted by Don M. View Post
    That's almost ridiculous...in most areas here, that house would qualify as a shack, waiting to be demolished. Then, I can't imagine living in an area where the houses are only a couple of feet apart...if a person in one of those houses sneezes, half the neighborhood probably says "Gehundseit".
    Yes it IS ridiculous. The cost of houses in Canada is far higher than the U.S., but the houses in Toronto are exceptionally high.
    The house might not be worth much but the land is. What many people do is bulldoze the house and rebuild. They would put up a much nicer house and save on property and house taxes or they will rent it out.

Properties are outrageously close. Some neighbours eavestroughs almost touch.
    We wouldn’t be able to stand that type of living either which is why we don’t live anywhere near a city. Like you, we live in a rural area where each home gets acres of land. Our home is probably worth about $500,000 but it’s a nice home on a nice lot. The further away from the city you go the cheaper the houses.

We watch House Hunters on HGTV and it amazes us what houses cost around the globe!!

Quote Originally Posted by Don M. View Post
    You'd have a breakdown living in houses in many parts of the UK>>....

Manchester North of England

Manchester ( North England)

London

London
    South Wales...

Quote Originally Posted by hollydolly View Post
    You'd have a breakdown living in houses in many parts of the UK>>......
    Yeah. A lot of Americans, if not most, don't seem to know about row houses. I think they watch to many Masterpiece Theatres and think the whole country is a bunch of little villages with old stone cottages.
    Growing old is like being increasingly penalized for a crime you haven't committed.

They're called Terrace houses...then of course in many cities particularly in Scotland there are tenements, like in cities in the USA., there's also ''flat's (apartments) .. and the most common houses of all are semi-detached.. Lots of variations on this type

But of course we do have our villages with cottages and rural areas everywhere too...with beautiful chocolate box cottages, and enormous detached homes as well...they're just not the norm..we don't have the space on this little Island to house 65 million people...

They're called Terrace houses...then of course in many cities particularly in Scotland there are tenements, like in cities in the USA., there's also ''flat's (apartments) .. and the most common houses of all are semi-detached.. Lots of variations on this type

Those are called Duplex here..

Brand New

$185,000

Price

Beds

Baths

1,500 Sq. Ft.$123 / Sq. Ft.

https://www.redfin.com/TX/Dallas/243.../home/30886718

Quote Originally Posted by Ken N Tx View Post

Brand New

$185,000

Price

Beds

Baths

1,500 Sq. Ft.$123 / Sq. Ft.

https://www.redfin.com/TX/Dallas/243.../home/30886718

A house like that here would be upwards from a Million ...you all have such cheap housing outside of the cities, ..I do get house envy ..

Quote Originally Posted by Ken N Tx View Post
    Those are called Duplex here..
    Ah riggght I've heard duplex mentioned in regard to houses in the USA, I didn't know what it was... also the word Condo gets me confused because we don't have them here, what's the difference between a Condo and an apartment?

A house like that here would be upwards from a Million ...you all have such cheap housing outside of the cities, ..I do get house envy ..
    Click on the link above the picture for interior pictures.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.