Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Why get remarried?

PVC- I’ve realized it’s not marriage I like, it’s companionship, period. I’ll never share the money I have, actually my financial advisor suggested that to me. I’d never thought about all that. It’s going to be hard finding someone, I think. Whatever. Life goes on, I’m healthy and somewhat happy so it is what it is. Some day, when I least expect it.....

Marriage to me is for people looking to build a life. After so many years life is basically set, we know what we have learned and that is our tool to move on through our days and their demands. The idea "we love each other so lets get married" denotes love and marriage go together (like a horse and carriage). Rules for living in our youth cannot apply to rules for later in life as hopefully we have learned how to navigate. How many times have we heard "I thought I could change him/her" when asked why young people's marriage failed? My dad married late in his life and for the life of me I'll never know why unless he or she demanded it. He never said he loved her rather, "she is a good wife." Not exactly a romantic compliment. I have a great female friend but we would never consider marriage. Why insert a change when their is no need of change?

You are a smart lady Debbie. At this point in our lives you should never share your money! Enjoy great companionship without complications.

I'm coming to this forum late, but I feel as many here do. I would never again marry for a number of reasons - especially as I live in a community property state. I had poor luck in marriage - mainly because I made poor choices for mates. I did some dating after my divorce with the usual results. At that point I decided I couldn't trust my judgment in that area - and swore off the whole thing - and I have been completely happy - even took back my maiden name.

I could not agree more!! Don't mess up what you have by entering into a legal arrangement. There's nothing wrong with remaining solo. It's actually pretty darned awesome

I was divorced 50 years ago once I had my daughter and my ex husband decided he was not able to handle being a father. I decided never to remarry because I lost all faith in it to be honest. I dated and even had some longer term relationships along the way from that point, but decided never to get married again.

I've been divorced for 10 years and since then I've had a few relationships, all of which included some consideration of marriage. I decided against it and I don't have any regrets.

Quote Originally Posted by Nozzle36 View Post
    I'm coming to this forum late, but I feel as many here do. I would never again marry for a number of reasons - especially as I live in a community property state. I had poor luck in marriage - mainly because I made poor choices for mates. I did some dating after my divorce with the usual results. At that point I decided I couldn't trust my judgment in that area - and swore off the whole thing - and I have been completely happy - even took back my maiden name.
    As far as the "community property" is concerned, the only way a new partner would be entitled any of the property is if it was acquired as a couple. Your property remains YOUR property (in California)...

ALONE NOW....TAKING IT DAY BY DAY!! RIP BABY...

Not necessarily. For instance, if you own a house (like I do) and it increases in value while you are married (as mine did) your spouse is entitled to half the increase in value when you divorce. I foiled that by refusing to do any maintenance on the house and the value went down. I don't know how it is in other community property states, but that's how it is in Washington. My was a parasite, who contributed very little to our marriage and I felt no obligation to accommodate him further.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Jim View Post
    As far as the "community property" is concerned, the only way a new partner would be entitled any of the property is if it was acquired as a couple. Your property remains YOUR property (in California)...
    Same here in NM, except in very narrow instances like where a new spouse remodeled a home which was the property of the other spouse before marriage --if he could prove it was his money that went into the house remodel he could possibly have a claim against the house for the value of the remodeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    --if he could prove it was his money that went into the house remodel he could possibly have a claim against the house for the value of the remodeling.
    Also, if the new spouse pays for the mortgage and other improvements to the property. I didn't even know about the increase in value, like Nozzle said. So many pitfalls to be aware of.

70% of divorce is initiated by women.Most marriages don't make it past 13 years. 80% of past societies were polygamous, and most of those were polygynous. It seems that the less desirable of the men created the institution of marriage and the "man in charge" idea to try to have what they really want, a life mate.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Jim View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nozzle36 View Post
    Not necessarily. For instance, if you own a house (like I do) and it increases in value while you are married (as mine did) your spouse is entitled to half the increase in value when you divorce. I foiled that by refusing to do any maintenance on the house and the value went down. I don't know how it is in other community property states, but that's how it is in Washington. My was a parasite, who contributed very little to our marriage and I felt no obligation to accommodate him further.
    What you described in bold is an acquired asset during the marriage and exactly what Jim was saying.

It's the same here in Mass, only assets that are acquired during the marriage are split evenly during a divorce. All other assets that were obtained before the marriage go to whoever had legal possession of them prior to the marriage date.

If I lost my sweetie of 40 years I couldn't imagine marrying or living with someone else, though after a time a bit of steady companionship and a traveling partner - male or female - would probably be appealing.
    Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be. - Abraham Lincoln

Stuck inside of Mobile, with the Memphis Blues again.
    "Some velvet morning when I'm straight"

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.