Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The "Babies" and I

Arrow The "Babies" and I

My life now consists of me and my birds and dog. Thought I'd start a thread to talk about them and my life.

Not a whole lot new going on in my life now. Just taking one day at a time and taking care of myself and my little buddies.

Alice and Jasmine are now 2 and 2.5 years with me so they are probably a few mos. older than that. They are very lively little girls. They chase each other around their new cage, play with toys, finally, and sing their hearts out, and eat of course. Gave them a millet treat tonight but should have given it to them around the time I feed them. That way they will eat it. They tend to eat earlier in the day and snack the rest of the day a bit. I always leave their food bowls in there and change their food in the mornings.

Parakeets, imo, are the ideal birds to have. Not all birds are as good as mine. People have told me how their birds chew on things around the room. Mine leave the cage to fly around the room a few times a day. Sometimes Jasmine flys more but Alice doesn't come out as much. They have a drawbridge on their cage and stand on that at times. It's a place for them to hang out on and also a launching and landing pad. I leave the cage open the minute I uncover it each day and then close it at their bed times. Sometimes they stay up later with me, mostly on the weekend. They never roam from their cage to chew on things like the walls and so forth.

Here is their new cage I got around my birthday last year:

We call these birds budgies in Britain. I have one called Charlie and also a small parrot who doesn't have a name. I just haven't been able to think of one which suited him. I shut them in their cages at night but during the day, they are free to fly around the room. They make a lot of mess and noise, but they are very entertaining and they 'talk' to me. I have quite long conversations with them!

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemarie View Post
    We call these birds budgies in Britain. I have one called Charlie and also a small parrot who doesn't have a name. I just haven't been able to think of one which suited him. I shut them in their cages at night but during the day, they are free to fly around the room. They make a lot of mess and noise, but they are very entertaining and they 'talk' to me. I have quite long conversations with them!
    We call them Budgies here, too. Yours sound like fun and so are mine~

They look like happy little darlings, nice photo and great cage, nice and roomy!

Ruthanne they are sweet. I love that they have a nice roomy cage. I have two of the toys you show in the photo for my Kerby. The door is always open for my bird to come and go. Looks like they have a play area below the main cage. The one thing he won't use is a swing. I guess Cockatiels aren't swingers.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaBreeze View Post
    They look like happy little darlings, nice photo and great cage, nice and roomy!
    They do love their new cage and run around up and down the perches, chase each other and have a good time. Thank you, they are happy sweeties~

Quote Originally Posted by Ruth n Jersey View Post
    Ruthanne they are sweet. I love that they have a nice roomy cage. I have two of the toys you show in the photo for my Kerby. The door is always open for my bird to come and go. Looks like they have a play area below the main cage. The one thing he won't use is a swing. I guess Cockatiels aren't swingers.
    Yes, they do have a play area but for some reason don't go down to it any more. I have forgotten to put the ladder up for them to walk down to it, though, so maybe I should put it back up for them. Alice used to swing but now Jasmine is the only one who goes on it. Birds are funny that way...they stop doing some things and start doing other things.

I used to have a budgie which swam in the fish tank! It would sit on one side, jump in and swim across to the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemarie View Post
    I used to have a budgie which swam in the fish tank! It would sit on one side, jump in and swim across to the other side.
    Wow, I've never heard of that before but leave it to budgies to be something else~

The other night I did laundry and I always use the stoves timer to time the washer and dryer. Anyhow, when I came back up from the basement it was dark in the kitchen and I pushed the wrong button on the stove to set the timer. I hit the "clean oven" button and immediately went into a semi panic state. I know that using that function can kill parakeets; so I immediately tried to shut it off by pushing the "clear" button and it did not work! Instead the oven said it was going into "locked" mode! I knew then that the self cleaning oven was going on and my parakeets were in danger. I tried again to clean the panel on the stove. It did not work. I started to pull on the stove to pull it back to unplug it and also pulled on the door. Something worked right as I attempted to clear the panel again. The self cleaning oven shut off before starting to clean. Thank God! Right away I opened the window in the kitchen and shut the door to the living room. I was afraid fumes might emit. Nothing happened and what I did had worked. The self cleaning oven did not start cleaning. WHEW! Talk about a panic moment! I have to assure i never do that again. Have lived here for 6 years and have only done it twice but this time was the worst. Babies are fine!

Here is Jasmine:

Glad you got it to stop Ruthanne, I heard how dangerous it could be. I need to clean my oven soon, but I'm waiting for the weather to be nicer so I can open windows and doors, and maybe my cat can be in the yard or garage. I figure if it can kill birds, it can harm other small animals too. They also say cooking with teflon in the same room with a bird is dangerous.

That was close Ruthanne. I was cleaning my rugs with my rug machine a few years ago and noticed after quite a few hours that right on the bottle of the solution I was using it said it could be harmful to pets. It was summertime and I immediately put him out on our screened in porch.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaBreeze View Post
    Glad you got it to stop Ruthanne, I heard how dangerous it could be. I need to clean my oven soon, but I'm waiting for the weather to be nicer so I can open windows and doors, and maybe my cat can be in the yard or garage. I figure if it can kill birds, it can harm other small animals too. They also say cooking with teflon in the same room with a bird is dangerous.
    Yes, we all have to be careful of fumes with our pets. They are so much smaller than us. I have heard about teflon, too, and have not used it in ages. Gave away my frying pans that had teflon many years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruth n Jersey View Post
    That was close Ruthanne. I was cleaning my rugs with my rug machine a few years ago and noticed after quite a few hours that right on the bottle of the solution I was using it said it could be harmful to pets. It was summertime and I immediately put him out on our screened in porch.
    Yes, it was really scary. I'm glad Kerby is okay. I'm looking for a safe cleaner to clean my air conditioning unit. Thinking of hydrogen peroxide.

Just the other day while Jasmine flew around the room on several different occasions Alice or Allison started flying into and out of the kitchen real fast. She's really good at it so far but I'm afraid she might hurt herself going in there somehow. I close the door when cooking so she can't go in there at that time. I've also started closing the door when their cage door is open. I'm just worried that she might fly into something in the kitchen like the toaster or something or another.

Here is another picture of her:

Budgies are clumsy fliers. A friend of mine came home one day to find that her budgie had flown into the kitchen and drowned in a bowl of water. One of mine got caught up in the venetian blinds. Thank God I was there when it happened, otherwise it would have strangled.

I like birds, wild ones more than caged, but as far as letting them fly around the house. Don't they "pee/poop" on everything? I know you can clean up, but doesn't the fabric become soiled? What about your curtains? Plus ours threw birdseed everywhere. When they escaped their cages, it was hard to recatch them.

How do you get them back into the cage at night? I have dogs. When they are babies they are confined to the kitchen. As they grow older, crated in various parts of the house unless I can give them my full attention. Free roam when we are home only after they are 16 months or so and well house trained.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.