And Sometimes Retirement is Thrust Upon You . . . . . . . .

And Sometimes Retirement is Thrust Upon You . . . . . . . .

Last month my husband found out he is no longer working. We were working at the same company, now only I am working there. (somewhat awkward) I won't go into the specifics but it was not a voluntary leave and it was not something we had planned. We had planned for us both to work another couple of years. So now, all of a sudden, he is retired, since he doesn't want the task of finding another job at his age - 60.

I find myself going back and forth between being happy for him that he doesn't have to go to the crappy job he hated any longer and being just a little resentful that I still have to work. Have any of you had a similar situation? How did you handle it?

We are doing ok financially with my salary and I need to stay at the company at least another year in order to transfer my medical benefits over when I do retire.

I guess that just goes to show you, that even in retirement planning, the best laid plans . . . . . . . .don't always work out.

in the same boat...as your husband! No longer working and the wife is resentful just a tad. I'm getting stuff done around the house and she is always suggesting things for me to do (which I resent...I'm sorry, I did the dishes, washed the clothes, vacuumed, took the dogs down to the park, etc...and you want to tell me what to do?!?! Be happy I'm doing those things instead of out spending money on stuff we don't need or gambling, or drinking, or ...

Maybe your husband just needs a little time to grieve and when he gets his feet under him he will look for something to do.

For me, the biggest issue with an early retirement was medical insurance after the COBRA period ended.

Good luck to both of you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldguy View Post
    in the same boat...as your husband! No longer working and the wife is resentful just a tad. I'm getting stuff done around the house and she is always suggesting things for me to do (which I resent...I'm sorry, I did the dishes, washed the clothes, vacuumed, took the dogs down to the park, etc...and you want to tell me what to do?!?! Be happy I'm doing those things instead of out spending money on stuff we don't need or gambling, or
    drinking, or ...
    Lol, my husband could have written that! Since we have an acreage, there is always work to be done. It's not like he's sitting around doing nothing. But, it is a big change and it will take time to get used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Uptosnuff View Post
    Lol, my husband could have written that! Since we have an acreage, there is always work to be done. It's not like he's sitting around doing nothing. But, it is a big change and it will take time to get used to.
    Hopefully he has medical insurance..

Yes, he's on my medical insurance plan. That's why I have to keep working for at least one more year, so I will be retirement - eligible and my medical insurance will following me into retirement.

Happened to me when I was 57. All of the company's production was moved to China. It was a real shock. I felt sorry for myself, I got over it, went out and found another job and worked for another ten years.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.