Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Air Travel Changing

I have seen different articles and reports in travel magazines and also in my monthly union newsletter. Most agree that thanks to Brexit, travel from the UK to the U.S. has slowed.

Here in the U.S., travel overall is down about 1-2%. I have always thought that the economy can be judged by the amount of passengers flying. When the economy begins to sink, you can see more people taking to the highways.

Some of the the more popular routes like from the east coast to west coast and vice versa has remained fairly steady. In the summer when travel peaked, I would fly the Boeing 767, which seats around 300 passengers. Then, when the travel season would begin to lessen, I would switch to the B-757, which seats about 200-250, depending on which version of the plane we would be flying. Mainly, the planes would be full to my delight.

I flew down to Florida this past weekend leaving from Washington, D.C. The flights were full down and back. Florida is a popular destination, so it should be no surprise that the flights were full. If you look at smaller, less popular markets, I am sure the plane’s would be less than full. It costs airlines a lot of money to run regional flights, which most airlines will add a few bucks to other more popular destinations to help defray the costs of running a regional system.

Someone mentioned cost cutting on airlines, which was always a huge ongoing effort. At United, if an employee would suggest a cost cutting idea that they would implement, the employee would be rewarded. I remember one of my pilot friends recommended using recycled paper towels in the lavatories. He did his homework and estimated that the airline would save approximately ‘x’ amount of dollars (I forget how much.) The airline used his idea and he received a check for $2000.00.
    "SEMPER FI"

Quote Originally Posted by Lethe200 View Post
    Some warning signs ahead:

Is a travel recession in the wings?
    Consumers nervous, cutting back according to reports
    Chris McGinnis, SFGATE.com, May 10, 2019
    https://www.sfgate.com/travel/articl...n-13832563.php

(excerpted) Travel demand is almost always a good predictor of what's to come for the overall economy. It's like the canary in the coal mine. When consumers and big companies start to feel nervous about future prospects, travel is usually one of the first things to get cut (or reduced) from the family or corporate budget.

So while employment and overall economic numbers still look like it's full steam ahead for the U.S. economy, the travel industry may be starting to feel a light recessionary chill. Some examples:

"We have had 100‐plus straight months of travel expansion in the U.S., and there are now parts of the world that are just starting to join the travel revolution...But despite these positive factors, I see increasing and worrying signs about where worldwide demand is headed and evidence that suggests the U.S. is poised for a slowdown across every travel category" writes Clayton Reid, the CEO of MMGY Global, a giant marketing and communications firm in the travel space.

.... MMGY's research shows an overall decline in demand for travel over the last two years, with a lot more travelers citing sensitivity to pricing as the reason for cutting back. It finds that business travel demand is currently a little stronger than leisure demand, which is propping up airfares and hotel rates, but that is also expected to decline in 2020. With economies outside the U.S. going soft, fewer travelers will be headed to big American gateway cities like New York or San Francisco, pushing down demand.
    Among people I know there is a lot less flying going on, partly due to how expensive it is and partly due to the incredible hassle of flying nowdays and cramped quarters on the planes. It just isn't any fun anymore.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.