Results 1 to 8 of 8

Need new carpet!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    321

    Need new carpet!

    Buying carpet these days is very confusing...and very expensive, and I would like some opinions on the best way to pay for it.

    We don't have a huge house any more, thank goodness, but to replace the original carpet that was installed when it was built 20 years ago is going to be around $4,000. This is not the cheapest carpet but it's not top of the line either. We've had 2 different local carpet installers come out and measure and give us prices.

    What I'd like to know is.....should we take that money out of savings, or finance with 0% interest for 24 months, or does this qualify as home improvement for a home equity loan (and is it worth it to do that???) ?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    764
    About the only thing that comes to mind for me is since they will finance with 0 interest for 24 months, I'd ask them if they would be willing to give a discount on the $4000 estimate for paying cash up front - assuming this is a reputable dealer you are talking to. I don't know anything about home equity loans but I always thought they were for something permanent, not subject to wear & tear like carpet.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    321
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezerette View Post
    About the only thing that comes to mind for me is since they will finance with 0 interest for 24 months, I'd ask them if they would be willing to give a discount on the $4000 estimate for paying cash up front - assuming this is a reputable dealer you are talking to. I don't know anything about home equity loans but I always thought they were for something permanent, not subject to wear & tear like carpet.
    I forgot to add that we also want to update the fireplace, which will be around $1,000.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Houston Y'all
    Posts
    3,544
    ...
    Last edited by C'est Moi; 05-16-2019 at 03:36 PM.

    “The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance.” -- Robert Heinlein

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    1,728
    Quote Originally Posted by Colleen View Post
    Buying carpet these days is very confusing...and very expensive, and I would like some opinions on the best way to pay for it.

    We don't have a huge house any more, thank goodness, but to replace the original carpet that was installed when it was built 20 years ago is going to be around $4,000. This is not the cheapest carpet but it's not top of the line either. We've had 2 different local carpet installers come out and measure and give us prices.

    What I'd like to know is.....should we take that money out of savings, or finance with 0% interest for 24 months, or does this qualify as home improvement for a home equity loan (and is it worth it to do that???) ?

    Thanks.
    Negotiate on the price. I went from a cost of $3,600 to $2,000 when I called the business and told them I changed my mind because I got a better deal after the sales person left. I said I could get it done for $2,500 they responded we will do it for 2,000.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    321
    Quote Originally Posted by fmdog44 View Post
    Negotiate on the price. I went from a cost of $3,600 to $2,000 when I called the business and told them I changed my mind because I got a better deal after the sales person left. I said I could get it done for $2,500 they responded we will do it for 2,000.
    Will you come and negotiate for me???

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    810
    First negotiate your best price.

    As long as the the total amount being paid for the 0% interest is the same as if you paid in full after the job was done, I would opt for the 0% interest payments. The way I look at it is that's free money to play with while your savings is hopefully earning interest somewhere else. Even if your money isn't earning any interest you'll still have that money available if you need it.

    If you can get a cheaper price on the job for paying cash in full and you can afford to do so, you'll need to weigh the cash savings against whatever interest your money would make in the bank for two years to see which option is better.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    321
    Quote Originally Posted by JimW View Post
    First negotiate your best price.

    As long as the the total amount being paid for the 0% interest is the same as if you paid in full after the job was done, I would opt for the 0% interest payments. The way I look at it is that's free money to play with while your savings is hopefully earning interest somewhere else. Even if your money isn't earning any interest you'll still have that money available if you need it.

    If you can get a cheaper price on the job for paying cash in full and you can afford to do so, you'll need to weigh the cash savings against whatever interest your money would make in the bank for two years to see which option is better.
    Thanks Yes, savings is earning 2%+

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-12-2018, 06:12 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-02-2018, 11:44 AM
  3. Carpet Or Hardwood Floors?
    By ClassicRockr in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 04-26-2018, 07:45 AM
  4. Magic Carpet Ride
    By SeaBreeze in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-31-2015, 08:37 AM
  5. Coffee as a carpet deodorizer
    By debodun in forum Home
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-28-2015, 04:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Family & Health Forums: Pet Forums - Health Forum