How do you lock your house?

How do you lock your house?

For all my life I've locked up the traditional way. Key, or sometimes two, handle lock and deadbolt. I've dealt with my share of lost keys, letting others in who lost keys, etc.

Ron recently installed keypads on the doors. Voila! No more lost keys or having to replace them! As long as we don't lose our memories and can remember the code, this will work so much better for us than traditional keys and locks. Once you're in, you just turn the knob to engage the deadbolt, but when leaving, you punch in the code and hit "lock" to secure the house, or just the code to unlock the door.

I can't find the exact keyless lock we have, but it's a lot like this one:
    E2031XSLL626-1.jpg

At some later point, we'll replace these with smart locks. They're voice controlled so you don't even have to punch buttons! But for right now these current locks are working SO well!!! And if there's ever a security issue, it's so much easier to reprogram the lock rather than have to change all the locks, get new keys, etc.
    Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not, then it's not the end!

Sure, reprogramming would be a LOT easier than changing locks!

I'm just using keys.

My apartment door requires two keys one for a lock in the doorknob and one for a separate deadbolt.

I think the keypads would be a good idea for elderly folks that have people coming and going to perform various services, checking their welfare, etc...

I would rather change the access code than attempt to retrieve the keys from people or leaving a key under the flowerpot on the porch, etc...

I've thought about getting a lockbox similar to this one for my apartment.

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
    My apartment door requires two keys one for a lock in the doorknob and one for a separate deadbolt.

I think the keypads would be a good idea for elderly folks that have people coming and going to perform various services, checking their welfare, etc...

I would rather change the access code than attempt to retrieve the keys from people or leaving a key under the flowerpot on the porch, etc...

I've thought about getting a lockbox similar to this one for my apartment.

Bea, if I might make a suggestion.....

If you do get one of those, I urge you to get a press-button one rather than this one. Over the years since I've needed to gain access to the homes, I've dealt with these lock boxes a fair bit, and the ones with the turn combinations instead of press-button combinations are much more finicky.

This kind are so much easier.
    shopping.png

The downside is that all the ones I've used are surface mounted or are just propped up by the door, they won't hang anywhere. Maybe you can get one that has the press button locking mechanism that hangs, but if so I haven't used them. I just know that depressing the buttons is relatively foolproof rather than turning each cylinder of the other kind.
    Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not, then it's not the end!

Thanks!

I have standard Yale locks. NObody's ever broken in.
    John

We use regular locks, it's just the two of us, and over the years we haven't lost any keys (knock on wood). No break-ins either, we also have security doors and windows.

My daughter has a keyless entry,but half the town knows the code so it`s really a waste lol. We don`t lock our door at all-except when we go to bed at night. Not even sure why we do that. Our place is pretty much "unfindable" (GPS doesn`t recognize it) and we are out in the sticks,so we don`t worry. We leave the keys in our cars too. BUT,when we go to town,we always lock our cars and never leave anything visible in there.

I live in an apartment building,every resident is given a key and fob to get into the building.If your apartment comes with a garage space,you can use the fob to get in there too.I don't drive or have a garage space,but I can in the garage by using my fob
    Each resident is given their own key for their apt
    Walkers Take It All In Strides

Both my front and back doors have 5 point 'espagnolette' locks. This is a fairly common type of lock here, especially on uPVC doors.
    We're not here for a long time. We're here for a good time

In Victoria all elderly people living alone or those who are disabled have to have a key holder installed by their front entrances in the case of needing assistance from emergency services

Quote Originally Posted by Ronni View Post
    Bea, if I might make a suggestion.....

If you do get one of those, I urge you to get a press-button one rather than this one. Over the years since I've needed to gain access to the homes, I've dealt with these lock boxes a fair bit, and the ones with the turn combinations instead of press-button combinations are much more finicky.

This kind are so much easier.
    shopping.png

The downside is that all the ones I've used are surface mounted or are just propped up by the door, they won't hang anywhere. Maybe you can get one that has the press button locking mechanism that hangs, but if so I haven't used them. I just know that depressing the buttons is relatively foolproof rather than turning each cylinder of the other kind.
    This type was already installed surface mount at the front door of my home when I purchased it. The previous owner had keys in it for a visiting nurse. I use it in case my keys disappear or family can enter in an emergency.

When I get dressed in the morning my keys go into my pocket and only come out to open a door or the car. I never put them down anywhere during the day.
    To me this is preferable to fiddling with anything electronic that has batteries to poop out.

Stuck inside of Mobile, with the Memphis Blues again.
    Anyone else besides me think putting this kind of information out where anyone with an internet connection can read it isn't the smartest thing to do?
    "Some velvet morning when I'm straight"

Quote Originally Posted by Trade View Post
    Anyone else besides me think putting this kind of information out where anyone with an internet connection can read it isn't the smartest thing to do?
    Not really, locks only create a feeling of security.

If someone wants to get in all they need to do is break a window.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.