Is planting zucchini and cantaloupes next to each other a good idea?

Is planting zucchini and cantaloupes next to each other a good idea?

I read somewhere that cross pollination can occur between squash and melons producing an odd tasting melon. Some say it will only produce and odd melon if I save the seed for next year. I usually don't bother with melons because of space and a long growing season. This year my garden as been made even smaller because we needed the room to collect the leaves in the fall.

I planted my garden today and decided not to let the rotting leaf area go to waste. These leaves are way over 2 feet deep so it is impossible to till or turn the leaves under.

I dug down about a foot in the leaves and filled a bucket with garden soil. I dumped the soil in the hole and planed cantaloupe seed. In another area I did the same with zucchini seeds.

Now I'm rethinking this. Maybe I should dig out the zucchini seed and just add more cantaloupes or water melon seed.

Maybe they won't even grow in the small amount of soil that I put into the leaf hole.

What do you think? Should I take out the zucchini seed?
    garden (800x600).jpggarden hole (800x600).jpg

Oh Ruth, I only had flower gardens!

I wish I could help.

I don't know about zucchini, but one year I planted cantaloupe and cucumbers next to each other, and got some rather strange tasting cantaloupe....so now, I plant them at opposite ends of the garden. Cross pollination can easily occur if the insects jump from bud to bud, but keeping these two at least 20' apart seems to work out ok. Your picture shows an excessive amount of leaves, but if you were able to dig down enough to reach the dirt, the seeds should sink roots into the soil....you might want to move the leaves away a bit from where you planted, so the seedlings can get some good sun, when they sprout.
    Things get better with age....I'm approaching Magnificent.

Thanks Don. I think I'm going to dig out those zucchini seeds. I don't have them spaced very far apart.I'll have a fit if I get some really nice cantaloupes and have them end up tasting strange.

I have to get to them before they sprout. I have a problem getting rid of a plant once its sprouted. Even plants I've thinned out rarely make it to the compost pile. I feel sorry for them, that's why my garden has a stray cabbage in one corner and some beets growing under the rhubarb.

You may get zucchaluopes instead.

Victor,
    l'll save the seed, package them as a whole new variety and make a lot of money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Haha. It's possible. I've only had zucchini next to pole beans and cucumbers, so I can't help with this.
    Boomer Senior

One companion planting I know of is to plant marigolds next to tomato plants to discourage cut worms, also to give a flavor to tomatoes, as does basil.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.