Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Do You Have New Credit Cards That Don't Require Your Signature on Them?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dummy View Post

Do you think the manager didn't know what she was talking about, or lied to me when she said I could call her about problems?
    Hard to say. Worked for banks for 15 years, including the merchant services. That was before that service was farmed out.

I know when I was in the Target hacking, and I had used my debit card then (not so long ago) instead of being happy that I reported my debit card for possibly being hacked and then after me reporting it, instead of the bank being happy that the possibility of them not being liable for unlawful use and withdrawals, they charged me $20 for a new a card. Listen, banks are in it for themselves, not for you.
    I must learn to be content with being happier than I deserve - Pride and Prejudice

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    Hard to say. Worked for banks for 15 years, including the merchant services. That was before that service was farmed out.
    I know when I was in the Target hacking, and I had used my debit card then (not so long ago) instead of being happy that I reported my debit card for possibly being hacked and then after me reporting it, instead of the bank being happy that the possibility of them not being liable for unlawful use and withdrawals, they charged me $20 for a new a card. Listen, banks are in it for themselves, not for you.
    Ha, well it's not that way out here in the boonies. I basically live in the woods 5 miles outside of "Mayberry," where everybody knows everybody, everybody knows everybody's business (including who's sleeping with who that they shouldn't be ), the ne'er-do-wells are known by all -- as are those who are above reproach.

As I've mentioned, I've known the manager for probably over 25 years, I knew her father before he moved away, and her brother. She is salt of the earth, never had any issues with her OR with the bank after having two accounts there since 1982.

In 2014 she was the assistant manager (the manager at the time has since retired; I also knew her family, one of her in-laws is a good buddy of mine) and I was in the market for a Corvette so I asked her what rate I could get from this bank. Without hesitating she said something like, "We cannot compete with the car dealer loans as far as interest rates." Her being that honest did not shock me, but the reality of what she said did -- which is another topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post
    You really should never sign the back of your card anyway-makes it too easy for a thief who has stolen your card to forge it. The cashier is supposed to ask for your ID if your card isn`t signed-which I prefer that they do anyway. But nowadays,with the chip,the cashier rarely even touches your card.
    Exactly! The thief gets two for the price of one.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dummy View Post
    Yes of course the banks do not handle credit card accounts themselves. In the 26 years I had a MC, it went through at least three different banks.

Do you think the manager didn't know what she was talking about, or lied to me when she said I could call her about problems?
    I think she was probably trying to keep a valued customer. Back when I was working, I did all the banking stuff, and I had the direct number of someone at both banks we used. I recall once when I was at an impasse with someone in Timbuktu who couldn't understand my problem, I called the local manager and she was able to cut through the crap for me and get the problem resolved quickly.

I have to say I'm surprised at how many people never signed the back of their cards. I always did - until a couple of years ago when I put "see i.d." on the back of it. I always had cashiers check the back of my card. And many of them asked for i.d. As a matter of fact, I had one cashier refuse to complete the purchase because I just had the card and not my i.d. on me.

Maybe I look like a shady character?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken N Tx View Post

I don't recall ever signing the back even though it was required.

lol

me either

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.