Results 1 to 14 of 14

Not a social media enthusiast, but looking for some senior guidance

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4

    Not a social media enthusiast, but looking for some senior guidance

    Hi all. I am a 72 year old who is not ready to stop working. But, I am temporarily retired due to a home situation. I joined this forum to see if I cannot get some guidance on how to proceed.



    Since I am still unclear on what to expect here, I will stop for now and see where it goes from here.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    7,142


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Nashville TN
    Posts
    1,107
    Quote Originally Posted by Matteo A S View Post
    Hi all. I am a 72 year old who is not ready to stop working. But, I am temporarily retired due to a home situation. I joined this forum to see if I cannot get some guidance on how to proceed.

    Since I am still unclear on what to expect here, I will stop for now and see where it goes from here.
    Hi Matteo, and welcome to Senior Forums.

    If you're looking for advice, a little more detail would help a lot. While you're unclear on what to expect here, I for one am unclear on what you need help with. I don't know what specifically you want guidance on because you weren't specific. We can't offer help without knowing specifically what you'd like guidance on.
    Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not, then it's not the end!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    georgia
    Posts
    894
    welcome matteo

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    16,123

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,515
    “We're all just walking each ​other home.” Ram Dass

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    So. California
    Posts
    10,522
    Welcome Matteo. It would help if you'd fill out your profile.
    John

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    3,513

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4

    Just updated my profile.

    I am hoping to find others in my situation (or not) who have might have advice as to how to prepare to come out of retirement and find my next dream job, i.e., working close to home in a role that requires gathering, organizing, analyzing and reporting on data.

    I realize this forum may not focus on such things, but who knows.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    8,973
    Hi Matteo!


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by Matteo A S View Post
    I am hoping to find others in my situation (or not) who have might have advice as to how to prepare to come out of retirement and find my next dream job, i.e., working close to home in a role that requires gathering, organizing, analyzing and reporting on data.
    Welcome to the forums. In the interest of camaraderie, I'll take a shot at this. In preparation for my job search, I would start by narrowing the field of possible jobs by eliminating those that would not be suitable.

    1. You've stated that your current retirement was precipiated by a "home situation". Has that situation resolved? Are there remaining restrictions on your ability to fulfill job requirements?

    2. You also indicated that the location must be "close to home", so define for yourself specifically what "close" means. On your block? Within a mile? Twenty miles?

    3. Time commitment: What are the maximum and minimum number of hours you would be willing to work? Only certain hours of the day? Days of the week? Are there schedule flexibility required?

    4. Physical limitations. Data gathering in particular can be as simple as sitting at a computer or as demanding as crawling over a work site to collect data.

    5. Technical strengths and weakness. Data analysis ranges from simple "sorting and counting" to advanced statistical analysis. Any specialized analytical skills and experience are a plus. The lack of them is a weakness.

    6. Wage requirements: What is the lowest weekly/monthly income you would accept? Do you require a consistent paycheck or would you be interested in working on a commission/per diem basis.

    This sort of self-examination is essential to focusing your search.

    The next step is to familiarize yourself with all employers in your geographic area of interest, identifying and researching those who might offer jobs that meet your requirements. This, in fact, is an excellent exercize in "gathering, organizing, and analyzing" data. Do this successfully, and you'll be ready to move on to the next steps.

    I'm not expecting answers to these questions. This is simply an exercise you'll need to go through to target your "dream job".

    No surprise, finding the right job - at any age - usually takes a lot of effort. HTH.



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Buffalo,NY
    Posts
    2,200
    HI Matteo,welcome aboard,glad you found us
    I suggest you look at the retirement discussion thread,I'm sure other posters there can give you their advice
    Enjoy your time here
    Sue in Buffalo,NY
    Walkers Take It All In Strides

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4

    OK - I got it - the plan that is.

    Thanks Ruthanne!

    I hope to be available in the fall. I have answers to all your suggested questions. I guess what I must understand better is how to deal with the age question.

    Thanks again!




    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Welcome to the forums. In the interest of camaraderie, I'll take a shot at this. In preparation for my job search, I would start by narrowing the field of possible jobs by eliminating those that would not be suitable.

    1. You've stated that your current retirement was precipiated by a "home situation". Has that situation resolved? Are there remaining restrictions on your ability to fulfill job requirements?

    2. You also indicated that the location must be "close to home", so define for yourself specifically what "close" means. On your block? Within a mile? Twenty miles?

    3. Time commitment: What are the maximum and minimum number of hours you would be willing to work? Only certain hours of the day? Days of the week? Are there schedule flexibility required?

    4. Physical limitations. Data gathering in particular can be as simple as sitting at a computer or as demanding as crawling over a work site to collect data.

    5. Technical strengths and weakness. Data analysis ranges from simple "sorting and counting" to advanced statistical analysis. Any specialized analytical skills and experience are a plus. The lack of them is a weakness.

    6. Wage requirements: What is the lowest weekly/monthly income you would accept? Do you require a consistent paycheck or would you be interested in working on a commission/per diem basis.

    This sort of self-examination is essential to focusing your search.

    The next step is to familiarize yourself with all employers in your geographic area of interest, identifying and researching those who might offer jobs that meet your requirements. This, in fact, is an excellent exercize in "gathering, organizing, and analyzing" data. Do this successfully, and you'll be ready to move on to the next steps.

    I'm not expecting answers to these questions. This is simply an exercise you'll need to go through to target your "dream job".

    No surprise, finding the right job - at any age - usually takes a lot of effort. HTH.



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4
    Will do. Thanks Moviequeen1!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.

Similar Threads

  1. Social Media not so Social
    By debodun in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-19-2018, 09:06 PM
  2. Before Social Media
    By Michael. in forum Computers & Phones
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-04-2014, 05:31 AM
  3. Social Media Experiment
    By SeaBreeze in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-22-2013, 11:05 PM
  4. Social Media
    By Elena in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 02-14-2013, 02:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Family & Health Forums: Pet Forums - Health Forum