Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Apartment dweller looking for screen door I can install

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    If you have a Lowes store close to you this might suit your needs.

Screen Tight Finger Joint Wood Hinged Cross Bar Screen Door (Common: 32-in x 80-in; Actual: 32-in x 80-in)
    $34.44
    Customize with color and accessories to match your home
    Door design allows for easy rescreening with .150 spline
    Durable mortise and tenon construction – no sagging

Any mounting holes can easily be repaired if you decide to leave & take the door with you.
    I took a couple shots of my door and frame. The only place I could put hinges, if the owners let me that is, would be where the white arrows point. It's only a quarter inch The size is right at the 36 x 80 but just afraid the hinges won't have enough room Maybe they can fit though, as I am thinking the hinge would be screwed into the other part?? Funny, now that I looked at those pics I noticed someone before me had some holes in there for something, I don't know what. Doesn't look like hinge holes, lol!!

IMG_20190614_191001054_HDR.jpgIMG_20190614_190130155.jpg
    “stay young at heart, be open to possibilities and play when you can” ~ Alan B Jones

Guess I am missing something here. If you are living in an apartment that you are renting, why isn't the landlord doing this for you? Have not rented in tons of years but thought this should be done by the landlord!

Quote Originally Posted by terry123 View Post
    Guess I am missing something here. If you are living in an apartment that you are renting, why isn't the landlord doing this for you? Have not rented in tons of years but thought this should be done by the landlord!
    Great idea!

I would at least pitch the idea to the landlord and see if he would pay a portion of the cost or have his maintenance people install the door for you.

It's much cheaper to keep an existing tenant happy than it is to redecorate and find another tenant that pays on time.

Where I live (senior complex) I'm thinking that Management would prefer that tenants not have screen doors. They want all the apartments to be according to their specs. They are very strict in that.
    Adding a solar sun screen to a patio requires their approval. A bath bar that I put on the bathtub needed approval. They installed one on the wall however.
    Some here would love walk-in tubs for instance, but that's not going to happen because if one tenant wants one, everyone will demand the same.

And finding tenants is not a problem, as they have a long wait list to get an apartment.

Quote Originally Posted by terry123 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
    Great idea!

I would at least pitch the idea to the landlord and see if he would pay a portion of the cost or have his maintenance people install the door for you.

It's much cheaper to keep an existing tenant happy than it is to redecorate and find another tenant that pays on time.
    They're really great landlords, but to give every apartment a screen-door is asking a lot. I don't think I actually "need" a screendoor since I have huge windows with screens. The more I look at my options, the less I want to go to the trouble. Plus, we had 2 days of Summer, and now it's back to fog and very cool nights
    “stay young at heart, be open to possibilities and play when you can” ~ Alan B Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
    Where I live (senior complex) I'm thinking that Management would prefer that tenants not have screen doors. They want all the apartments to be according to their specs. They are very strict in that.
    Adding a solar sun screen to a patio requires their approval. A bath bar that I put on the bathtub needed approval. They installed one on the wall however.
    Some here would love walk-in tubs for instance, but that's not going to happen because if one tenant wants one, everyone will demand the same.

And finding tenants is not a problem, as they have a long wait list to get an apartment.
    True Bonnie, and I also live in a Senior Complex. It's very well maintained, but I actually didn't think of "why" they might say no. It could be a problem for the many folks I've seen, go out with the EMT's to the hospital. The screens some are using are the magnetic types but as I think I mentioned earlier, I had a horrible time trying to put one up. I ended up with a lot of gaps where bugs could get in. Even one, single fly or mosquito can make me crazy. I know, I'm already there

If you buy one, make sure the screen door's hinges are on the same side as the main door's hinges. Two weeks ago, my neighbor across the street spent almost a whole day installing a screen door with just the opposite. Yesterday he replaced the screen door he put up with another with the hinges on the correct side. The wrong one is leaning against his street side mailbox with a "free" sign on it.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.