Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Apartment dweller looking for screen door I can install

Apartment dweller looking for screen door I can install

Hi All,

I got so much help with picking a convection oven, thought I'd try to get some ideas on how to find a screen door that actually works for me.

I had bought one of those flimsy, magnetic type thinking it would be great, but putting it up was a huge fail. Ended up tossing the whole thing back in the box, and taking it to the thriftshop. So I'll put a pic or link to what it was like, so you know what I "don't" want.

I'm hoping to find others that live in a place with no screen-door, and no way to build their own, might have found something on Amazon, etc. I see many of them listed but since I'm not familiar with any of them, would really like to hear from folks that got lucky finding one.

I can install anything that I can also remove if I were to move out, and something that wouldn't tear up the wood of course. I'm thinking I won't find anything that will really work but I'll ask here anyway just in case.

Any feedback welcome, and so appreciate any help with this Denise

PS Here's something like the one I bought at our Grocery Outlet. I expect to pay much more then I did for this, silly thing

this was about what I payed so guessing this is real similar. I sure wouldn't have kept mosquitos out.
    https://www.amazon.com/Allstar-Innov...ateway&sr=8-15
    “stay young at heart, be open to possibilities and play when you can” ~ Alan B Jones

You could try the old fly chains, beaded curtains or fly curtains over the doors.

If you give it a google you will see several options from these chains to fabric strips, plastic beads, DIY options, etc...

https://newblinds.co.uk/chain-fly-screens

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
    You could try the old fly chains, beaded curtains or fly curtains over the doors.

If you give it a google you will see several options from these chains to fabric strips, plastic beads, DIY options, etc...

https://newblinds.co.uk/chain-fly-screens

I've never seen anything like that in my life. Interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by RadishRose View Post
    I've never seen anything like that in my life. Interesting!
    The chains are just a more conservative version of the beaded curtains that were popular in the 60s.

Ah, yes.... Now I recall seeing beaded curtains at door ways in old movies I think...like in jungle like places. I never realized thy were to discourage flies!

Quote Originally Posted by Denise1952 View Post
    Hi All,

I got so much help with picking a convection oven, thought I'd try to get some ideas on how to find a screen door that actually works for me.

I had bought one of those flimsy, magnetic type thinking it would be great, but putting it up was a huge fail. Ended up tossing the whole thing back in the box, and taking it to the thriftshop. So I'll put a pic or link to what it was like, so you know what I "don't" want.

I'm hoping to find others that live in a place with no screen-door, and no way to build their own, might have found something on Amazon, etc. I see many of them listed but since I'm not familiar with any of them, would really like to hear from folks that got lucky finding one.

I can install anything that I can also remove if I were to move out, and something that wouldn't tear up the wood of course. I'm thinking I won't find anything that will really work but I'll ask here anyway just in case.

Any feedback welcome, and so appreciate any help with this Denise

PS Here's something like the one I bought at our Grocery Outlet. I expect to pay much more then I did for this, silly thing

this was about what I payed so guessing this is real similar. I sure wouldn't have kept mosquitos out.
    https://www.amazon.com/Allstar-Innov...ateway&sr=8-15
    Funny Denise, I've looked for a screen door for my patio door too. ... one that I could cut out a "doggy door" in. Since I have different weather conditions than you do, I probably look at it a little differently. But I do want to keep out mosquitoes and flying critters too.

I haven't come up with any real solution, but I hung a pr. of semi sheer curtains over the doorway inside that are about 62" long. The bottom of the door is uncovered to: 1. let my dog see "outside" ... and 2. to let him go out on the patio with the door left open when weather permits. It works fairly well, but that's all I have come up with so far.

The beads and hanging chains are very pretty, but do they keep out flying pests? .. a little too open for that purpose I think.

Hey gals, I'm pretty down with a migraine today but I wanted to at least thank you for your thoughts on this. I think we are going to have a hot Summer this year, but living on the coast, you just never know from day to day. It got to 90 today and that's the highest I've seen it get in the almost 4 years I've been here now.

I've got 2 huge windows, and a couple of small ones, all with screens. So if I don't find anything that will work, it won't be a huge deal.

Thanks so much, and I'll probably be way better tomorrow and stop in again Denise
    “stay young at heart, be open to possibilities and play when you can” ~ Alan B Jones

Those rope decorations beg to be ripped off as they hit you in the face and ass every day.

Gee whiz, Denise, you’ve been away a long time. Good to see you posting.
    "SEMPER FI"

Quote Originally Posted by fmdog44 View Post
    Those rope decorations beg to be ripped off as they hit you in the face and ass every day.
    Ah where's your sense of a challenge, seeing how many times they miss ya

Quote Originally Posted by oldman View Post
    Gee whiz, Denise, you’ve been away a long time. Good to see you posting.
    Hey dude, good to see you too

If you have a Lowes store close to you this might suit your needs.

Screen Tight Finger Joint Wood Hinged Cross Bar Screen Door (Common: 32-in x 80-in; Actual: 32-in x 80-in)
    $34.44
    Customize with color and accessories to match your home
    Door design allows for easy rescreening with .150 spline
    Durable mortise and tenon construction – no sagging

Any mounting holes can easily be repaired if you decide to leave & take the door with you.

Thank you from me! Looks great, and best of all, can put a doggy door in one of the bottom sections of the one I'm looking at (36 x 80). Perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    If you have a Lowes store close to you this might suit your needs.

Screen Tight Finger Joint Wood Hinged Cross Bar Screen Door (Common: 32-in x 80-in; Actual: 32-in x 80-in)
    $34.44
    Customize with color and accessories to match your home
    Door design allows for easy rescreening with .150 spline
    Durable mortise and tenon construction – no sagging

Any mounting holes can easily be repaired if you decide to leave & take the door with you.
    We have a Home Depot, and depending on the size, I might find it at Amazon I'll go take a look at it if I can find it online at Lowe's website

Thank you so much!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
    Thank you from me! Looks great, and best of all, can put a doggy door in one of the bottom sections of the one I'm looking at (36 x 80). Perfect!
    That's great Bonnie, hope it works for you. I'll be checking it out too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.