Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Cost of getting hair cut

Guess a lot of people are buying their own clippers and doing their own.

I think some barbers are contemplating suicide.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon View Post
    Guess a lot of people are buying their own clippers and doing their own.

I think some barbers are contemplating suicide.

Harakiri
    It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are. e. e. cummings

A big thank you to everyone

Thank you AC that’s what TAFE is it has everything from waxing , nail art , manicures , facials to every sort of hair treatment you can think of
    because my hair is fine she used a powder in my hair I’d never heard of before to hold the style
    it’s called Haze styling powder
    https://www.ozhairandbeauty.com/prod...EaAl5OEALw_wcB

QUOTE=applecruncher;1054205]When I think of the money I spent on my hair at trendy salons in the 80s and 90s...

Then I got smart.

Cosmetology schools do great work. (But they're first come, first serve...usually a line).
    $10 - $12 for shampoo, blow dry, flat iron, & 'style', I always gave them a $20 and told the stylist to keep the change.

Now I go to Great Clips (but they only cut, that's all)
    I go every couple months to get ends trimmed. $13.99, or I get $7.99 coupon in the mail). Again, I give them a $20 and tell them to keep the change.

Sometimes I trim my own bangs. Free. [/QUOTE]

Stuck inside of Mobile, with the Memphis Blues again.
    I cut what little I have left myself. About every two to three weeks I buzz it down with my $14.95 Walmart clippers on the lowest setting.
    "Some velvet morning when I'm straight"

(Before people get all whacked about what I pay, these are in line with what ALL good hairstylists charge in our area. It's that big urban metropolis/high labor thing, LOL.)

My hairdresser is $95 for a haircut/blow-dry/styling and $195 if a perm is included. However, Asian hair grows differently than Caucasian hair. I have paid top prices for a haircut by someone who didn't know that. Looked great for 2 weeks and then the "line" totally fell apart. My hairdresser is Filipino and does a beautiful Sassoon-style cut.

A good haircut is one that lasts as it grows out. Unless my hair is very short (thus requiring regular trimming), I usually go 4-6 months in-between appts. I'm actually quite good at cutting my own hair but doing the back properly is tiring, and forget trying a DIY perm, LOL! Did it once and came out beautifully but jeez, took me forever! Worth it to pay somebody else to do it.

I cut my DH's hair, he says I do a better job than cheap stylists like SuperCut. Which is true; sometimes you get someone who knows what they're doing, but most of the time they're newbies looking to move onto something better. So they never stay, and the next time you go, you have risk your hair with somebody different.

After 55 yrs I know what I can do with my hair and what I can't, so I stick within the boundaries. I'm getting older but so is my hairdresser, and so I'm seguing back to a shorter wedge cut, no perm. We'll see how it goes.

I got my hair cut this morning; 17 bucks including the tip. It's the same little shop I've been going to for over 50 years. The barbers have changed with time, but the shop hasn't. I go early and I'm in and out in 15 minutes. I don't even have time to look at the magazines.

My wife has thin straight hair and I trim it for her. It used to be a pretty auburn color. I have a piece in my wallet. She hasn't been in a beauty shop since her mother made her go when she was a teenager.

Don

I've been going to Super Cuts for the past couple of years,first come first serve which I like
    The cost of my haircut is $17 plus tip,ladies do a wonderful job,always pleased with results
    I get it cut twice/yr ,having natural curly hair it gets long in summer,like it short.In fall,I get it cut again,let it grow during winter
    Walkers Take It All In Strides

Stuck inside of Mobile, with the Memphis Blues again.
    Quote Originally Posted by moviequeen1 View Post
    I've been going to Super Cuts for the past couple of years,first come first serve which I like
    The cost of my haircut is $17 plus tip,ladies do a wonderful job,always pleased with results
    I get it cut twice/yr ,having natural curly hair it gets long in summer,like it short.In fall,I get it cut again,let it grow during winter
    The woman who cuts my wife's hair charges $23 and we round that up to $30 for a $7 tip.

That's a little on the generous side for a tip but I like the simplicity of paying with just two bills, a 20 and a 10. But if she were to raise her price to $25, I'd still just give her a $20 and a $10, thereby cutting her tip to $5. I just hope that if she raises it she doesn't go to $26. That would create a conundrum for me.
    "Some velvet morning when I'm straight"

My barber retired back in 1968 and my wife has cut my hair and trimmed my beard since then. The last few years her job has gotten easier as there isn't much left on top although the beard still requires some work.

I'm lucky. My bathroom has a mirror on the door and movable mirrors on the vanity. I can stand there and see the back as well as the front of my head.

I have been cutting my own hair for at least five years now using a battery operated gadget called Just a Trim. So I just trim every second day or so. It only takes a few minutes. I can even do the back.

I hated barbers. They take up time and I hated waiting. And now in our area you need an appointment. They charge about $20 .

For a female though the salons are a lucrative business styling and cutting.

Those attachments to the trimmer can be taken off for a close trim and the handle pulls out as an extension.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow this thread has been a revelation to me and I'll keep my long hair cause I'm obviously saving money doing so. I like it better anyway.
    Boomer Senior

I usually go to the Classic Cut when I get a coupon, normally $18, $15 with the discount. I've gotten a couple of cuts at more expensive stylists over the years, but there's really not much difference. I keep my hair around shoulder length, sometimes with layers and bangs. I do cut my own bangs at home if they start sticking in my eyes. I cut my husband's hair, have for years, he just doesn't want to bother going out to get it done and he's happy with the way I do it, back in the day when it was longer and now that he keeps it short.

Camper your little gadget looks like a nice handy tool I’m going to google to see if they are sold in Australia

My wife trims my beard when it gets too scruffy. I haven't had my hair cut for about 20 years. I've gone fairly bald on top, but the bit that's left has remained a constant shoulder length. I sometimes make it into a pony tail.

Mrs. T pays 12 ($15) for a trim every 6 weeks.
    We're not here for a long time. We're here for a good time

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.