Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Cenegenics: Scam or Legitimate?

I have been researching nutrigenetics for one of the internal med physicians I do consulting for, and came across this blog post. I'm 55 but as a native Iowan, I understand how people feel that Cenegenics could be a rip-off or scam, but the science behind it does exist and you can find it everywhere online, as this area has really developed in the past four or five years. You can definitely work with your own physician on some of this, but you may want to try to locate a doctor who has certification in functional or integrative medicine. If I had my choice, I'd find an endocrinologist who has gone this route, but another person I keep my eye on is Dr. Stewart in here in Austin, TX, who has a company called GX Sciences. I'd also recommend a book by Dr. Neal Rouzier, I think it's spelled? He looks at hormones and how they affect our health.

It's pretty easy to understand that as we age, we don't produce some hormones like we used to, and that can cause issues. Once you run the appropriate panels, then you can see the deficiencies. You could take 30 supplements to treat them all, or you can get compounded supplements that fulfill the dietary requirements you are likely missing from your food intake so you have to take fewer supplements, which might increase compliancy. I do believe Hippocrates was correct when he said "Food is medicine." Chiropractors have been telling us this for years, and have preached "health care" rather than the "sick care" that most of us get from doctors. However, to me, it starts with education. If you're not educated about the hows and whys of nutrition and the effects (like what a diet that causes inflammation does to one's body, or how eating carbs for or after dinner can affect your body's production of its own HGH), then a lot of this is going to sound like horse pucky. I have to say I'm proud of my German Midwestern dad who grew up on the farm. He eats very healthy, keeps his weight in check, exercises, and probably reads WAY too much about health on the internet, but he stays open to learning about medical advances and the gaps in his diet. He's had issues sleeping and in dealing with stress (owns his own business...still...at 78), so the issues he has has led him to learn about cortisol and B vitamins, for example. He lives next door to a chiro who gives him some "do-it-yourself" insight. I'm in menopause and go to my OB GYN every year. I ask about tests, and my T is SUPER low, but no one ever recommends changes. I'm probably 30 pounds overweight despite eating fairly healthy, but no one says anything but lose weight. That's why I started looking into doctors who would worry about balancing my hormones. I figure I'd rather go that route than do antidepressants and fad diets that cut out entire food groups and a lot of things that are out there to "help" like others have, but I know that slow and steady wins the race. I just have to find the right key that unlocks my hormone issues. Even without this, at 55 I'm told I look 45, but I attribute it to good parental genes over anything I do! I would be interested in trying hormonal balancing if I had the money to do so. That's going to be the barrier to entry for many.

I'm starting with healthy eating of whole foods at almost every meal, and some exercise every day--the book The Slight Edge teaches you how little habits can create big changes. That seems basic to most of us, but trust me -- most people think it takes a miracle. They are the ones in the ER and ICU at the age of 50 with hypertension and T2 diabetes. The doctor I'm working with is so frustrated watching his diabetic patients eat themselve to sickness and he just wants an option to offer people that gets to the root of the issue, instead of always dealing with the effects of it.

One last note -- if we keep people out of the ER and ICU, we all win. Health insurance is so bad right now, I feel like it's worth checking into some of these other areas like genes and nutrition that can hopefully help with weightloss, sleeping, and even deeper issues. etc. There are definitely many more doctors offering these types of services so you can price shop. Here's wishing you all good health! <3

I started supplementing in my 50's after the onset of menopause. So I'm taking supplements about 30 yrs give or take.

My #1 is grape seed extract and it does just about everything and for sure Anti Agiing.

There are SO MANY sites on this powerful antioxidant and I wouldn't even start to post them...so so many. You google the condition and grape seed extract and you get hits.

Here is one really good one and I don't buy their product but I like their overview:

https://gundrymd.com/grape-seed-extract/

This isn't the one I'm thinking of but it's a good one for now. If and when I find the one I really like I'll post it.

Ah, I found it, the one site I really like:

http://grapeseedextract.com/

I first got on this powerful antioxidant in 1995 as we were told at at a lecture that it "MAY" prevent cancer(s).....I'm 80 and doing good health wise. And told I do not look 80...

Jag: Grape Seed Ex reduces diabetes.

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.