Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Cenegenics: Scam or Legitimate?

If I may weigh in on one point here concerning the overpricing. Cenegenics has the institute that trains doctors in their method of practice and their customer base provides a stable, steady source of research subjects. These subjects are committed to the regimen with the intellectual and financial resources to do so which is a researchers dream. Eventually, we all benefit from the results and the wealthiest among us pay for it. Seems like a win to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    If I may weigh in on one point here concerning the overpricing. Cenegenics has the institute that trains doctors in their method of practice and their customer base provides a stable, steady source of research subjects. These subjects are committed to the regimen with the intellectual and financial resources to do so which is a researchers dream. Eventually, we all benefit from the results and the wealthiest among us pay for it. Seems like a win to me.
    Forgive my obtuseness, but you're saying that their clients are also their research subjects?

Isn't that a bit unethical?

Dr. Life now has his own home-delivery meal program - Life30. For only $387.50 (+ $23.99 Fedex S&H) you can have 3 meats and 3 veggies a day delivered to your door and be assured that you're eating healthy, and ... oh, wait ... sorry, it isn't HIS program; he's just re-labeled the Personal Trainer Food program ($350/mn + $26.99 S&H).

You can order a 90-day supply of TA-65 (a telomerase activation compound) from his site for $2,100. In looking around the 'Net I found dozens of sites such as this one that price roughly the same, so at least he's in the right range there. But you don't begin to see the effects of TA-65, if any, until at least 6 months of usage, so that's $4,200 you pay up-front on faith.

I don't have that much faith, and I know that I can achieve just about the same results with exercise and diet.

Dr. Life also offers an in-person Executive Health Evaluation at his Las Vegas office for only $5,995. If you would be willing to settle for another Cenegenics physician you pay only $4,495. I wonder what that $1,500 difference gets you? Prestige?

Jack LaLanne was an example of what can be done without the use of hormone replacement therapy. If he could do it, so can almost anyone else. I still believe that Cenegenics may have age-management as its mission statement but ultimately I think they're all for the bottom line of their P/L statement.

Sorry,

I did paint that stroke very broadly. Research subjects are always invited to participate and appropriately informed. Researchers, though, need to be able to find large numbers of qualified subjects and rely on institutional sources to find them. Cenegenics is associated with two large universities and also has their institute whose network of trained doctors can easily refer individuals.

An amusing example from my past will illustrate the point. With 5 children and (I apologize) a stingy and secretive husband, it is never about you so I had to be innovative about making ends meet while raising them. I shopped at second hand stores for my clothing and often saw harried yuppie husbands carrying in mountains of designer this and that in an effort to stay ahead of the shopping curve. I would think, "Thank you, thank you sweetheart! Don't forget to send her back to the mall this week and I'll see you again in 6 months!" I am the Queen of Creative Resourcing. I agree that eating well and exercise is the majority effort.

Back to Cenegenics, I have a local referral for someone trained at the institute who is supposedly reasonable. I am just at the beginning of investigating this area and most likely won't get to a visit until after my state licensing exam. I may end up coming to your conclusions. Thanks for monitoring this dialog. It is helpful (and fun)!

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    Sorry,

I did paint that stroke very broadly. Research subjects are always invited to participate and appropriately informed. Researchers, though, need to be able to find large numbers of qualified subjects and rely on institutional sources to find them. Cenegenics is associated with two large universities and also has their institute whose network of trained doctors can easily refer individuals.

An amusing example from my past will illustrate the point. With 5 children and (I apologize) a stingy and secretive husband, it is never about you so I had to be innovative about making ends meet while raising them. I shopped at second hand stores for my clothing and often saw harried yuppie husbands carrying in mountains of designer this and that in an effort to stay ahead of the shopping curve. I would think, "Thank you, thank you sweetheart! Don't forget to send her back to the mall this week and I'll see you again in 6 months!" I am the Queen of Creative Resourcing. I agree that eating well and exercise is the majority effort.

Back to Cenegenics, I have a local referral for someone trained at the institute who is supposedly reasonable. I am just at the beginning of investigating this area and most likely won't get to a visit until after my state licensing exam. I may end up coming to your conclusions. Thanks for monitoring this dialog. It is helpful (and fun)!
    I have to admit that I'm a skeptic at heart - worse, a cynic. Please realize that that colors my opinions on most things.

I'm afraid I'm not very impressed that they have an "institute"; I was the founder and owner of the Chinese Health Institute, a name that conjured up a massive Chinese castle populated with dozens of wise old doctors, but in reality there was a total of one employee - me. Cenegenics appears to operate on a somewhat higher level, but still I think it's really just Dr. Life (what a fortuitous name!) in a nice office occasionally calling up a few colleagues that he has "certified" (what is in a certification anyway? That's a story for another thread, I think).

I could certainly be wrong; some part of me deep inside that is still decent and trusting and pure wants to believe in this program. But until someone like yourself with the proper training can steal into the "institute" under cover of night and lift the sheets on the operating tables in the sub-basement laboratory and report back here with all the gruesome details, I'm afraid I shall remain my skeptical, critical self.

I DO wish you luck with your studies and your future work!

Part of my training is in research methods and statistics. We have to be able to look at studies and determine if in fact their data supports the results they claim. So I know the language and what constitutes a well designed hypothesis. Cenegenics central has already emailed me and seems to be using solid evidenced based methods so far. They have been upfront about pricing which of course I don't intend to pay but I'll mosey along with them for as long as I can to pick their brains. Cenegenics aside, I think age management medicine is a shift toward preventative, health-focused standards of care. We certainly can't sustain our current allopathic-based practices. I'll keep you updated with my findings and perspective development.

My 68 yr old uncle

Quote Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
    Well, it IS a service business, so I suppose they DO have the right to expect people to pay for that service. They aren't a non-profit charity group, so I don't really see that they have to go to a third-world country where the chief problem is not decreasing testosterone but increasing political upheaval.

I agree with the "looking after" part - we seem to have largely become a society that needs cradle-to-grave nannying.

Ladies, excuse me while I go and change into some dry clothes - it seems Sea's dripping sarcasm has soaked me.
    Hey, for what its worth, my 68 yr old uncle, who used to be Mr. Louisiana back in the day, does HRT and this dude squats 700 lbs, his chest looks like a road map, very vascular, great muscle definition and just looks great in general. Now , I dont know anything about this company but I have seen HRT work wonders for the people around me. I realize the concept that if you take from the house, the house always wins. But he is 68 and doesn't look anywhere near death. Just sayin.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bigwheat View Post
    Hey, for what its worth, my 68 yr old uncle, who used to be Mr. Louisiana back in the day, does HRT and this dude squats 700 lbs, his chest looks like a road map, very vascular, great muscle definition and just looks great in general. Now , I dont know anything about this company but I have seen HRT work wonders for the people around me. I realize the concept that if you take from the house, the house always wins. But he is 68 and doesn't look anywhere near death. Just sayin.....
    I congratulate your uncle - that shows a lot of dedication. I'm just concerned that we might be judging him by externals alone - hopefully he keeps up with regular exams and is assured that he's as awesome on the inside as he is on the outside. Does he truly only do replacement therapy? I suspect that as a hard-core bodybuilder he might be going well beyond the bounds of just replacement and getting into augmentation. As well, he might be one of those genetically-gifted types who doesn't have an adverse reaction to HRT.

Does it help with bowel movement ? I need a bowel movement.

Oh geez, SifuPhil, I'm cracking up here at the video you posted!! I DO have a shakeweight, and don't see that it's done a lot of good so far, but haven't used it as much as I intended to, either. We'll see......

As far as Cenegenics, does anyone know if that's what Suzanne Somers advocates?? She's into Bioidentical Hormones, and apparently has noticed a lot of health benefits from them...and she certainly looks good for her age.

Of course, she exercises regularly and has what she feels is a healthy diet, also.

Somers follows a self-prescribed regimen of compounded hormones (not legally regulated) and a slew of pills - 60 a day at last count. Her knowledge is gained solely from attending alternative medicine "conferences" and, as her appearance on "Oprah" several years ago proves, she has no idea of the danger she's putting her followers into.

The estrogen cream she rubs into her arms has been shown to increase the incidence of breast cancer (Somers herself was diagnosed with it shortly after she began her self-treatment) and the vaginally-injected Estriol has been shown to be essentially useless after a certain age, an age which Somers has certainly left far behind.

Somers looks to be what she is - an attractive 60-something who takes good care of herself. She certainly doesn't look like a 30-year-old. She is probably just the recipient of good genes; her exercise regimen and healthy eating habits probably have far more to do with her health and looks than all the pills, potions and lotions she imbibes.

Her "Way" is, I believe, quite different than that employed by Cenegenics.

60 pills a day; wow!!! Thought I had a lot with the dozen or so I take daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    60 pills a day; wow!!! Thought I had a lot with the dozen or so I take daily.
    And I'm sure those were prescribed by a legitimate doctor for legitimate medical conditions (or at least I hope so). Although I haven't researched it I wouldn't be surprised if Ms. Somers' pill regimen is solely self-prescribed, just like her hormone treatments.

With HER money she could hire someone to follow her around with a slingshot, shooting pills into her mouth at random intervals during the day.

"What do YOU do for a living?"

"I'm a pill-shooter for a celeb!"

Well, no...the only thing my last dr told me it to take a good multi-vitamin. When I asked for an example, he said, "oh, any major brand - One a Day is a good one."
    Really??? I take some for certain conditions, and some we read about in Life Extension. Just hoping we've chosen correctly....Ideally, I'd love to have the Naturopath I saw as my regular Dr., but his prices are pretty high, and insurance doesn't cover them . Of course not..they might get us healthy, and we can't have that.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    Well, no...the only thing my last dr told me it to take a good multi-vitamin. When I asked for an example, he said, "oh, any major brand - One a Day is a good one."
    Really???
    Yeah, I'm sure there are a few that are better than One-a-Day ...

I take some for certain conditions, and some we read about in Life Extension. Just hoping we've chosen correctly....Ideally, I'd love to have the Naturopath I saw as my regular Dr., but his prices are pretty high, and insurance doesn't cover them . Of course not..they might get us healthy, and we can't have that.
    Oh, we couldn't allow THAT! You'd mess up the entire Western medicine paradigm - the Hi$$ocratic Oath!

Hi$$ocratic Oath - I love it!!!! I guess I might be known as a 'difficult patient'; I did like our last dr in some ways, but he sure liked to think his pills were the answer to whatever. Tried to give me scrips for sleeping, depression, pain, all in one visit. I didn't take any. I realize they can help in certain circumstances, but to me, are temporary fixes.
    The real way back to health is the longer, harder way, imo. I admit I do have a problem with discipline, as far as keeping up with exercise, etc.

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.