Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Did You Play Any Sport Games Over The Years?

Softball, volleyball, bowling, golf, water skiing, Alpine and Nordic skiing. Only golf currently.

Never good at any sport. Never liked many. I enjoyed golf but not that good. Way back there, when I was trying to find myself, I was in an Archery Club. Competed against other clubs, other towns., I was pretty good at that.

Years ago,I played tennis in a league once or twice/wk.I'm left handed,was taught yrs ago,how to slice the ball.When I hit my back hand ,it was interesting to see my opponent's reaction when the ball veered the other way.Once in awhile,I would play against another 'lefty' always checking out where they hit their shots.I preferred singles over doubles,got more exercise playing singles. Sue

I started playing football in high school but then they cancelled the girls football team. It was a disappointment. I have also played basketball and volleyball. Used to enjoy swimming and would like to get back to it.
    <a href=http://www.seniorforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2881&dateline=1511688595 target=_blank>http://www.seniorforums.com/image.ph...ine=1511688595</a>

I played baseball, football, basketball, and ran track in high school. Loved fast-pitch softball in the service. Later I played in Over-35 leagues in softball and basketball. My son played college rugby for four years and I learned to love the sport.

I hated sports and still do. The only thing I enjoyed and still do is swimming. If I hadn't mess up my knee I would still enjoy roller skating and ice skating.

I think I'm in Florida, but I'm not sure any more......my GPS blew away.
    I played hard to get. I was pretty good at it, too, especially since there weren't a lot of guys chasing me. Sigh.

I just looked at my high school yearbook. I never thought about it, but there wasn't a single sport at my high school played competitively by girls, outside of cheerleading which is now considered a sport but sure wasn't back then. Even the bowling club was all-boys. We played softball and volleyball and basketball in gym class but there weren't even any intramural teams.

We were expected to sit in the bleachers and cheer our boyfriends on, I guess. It didn't make any difference to me as I was then and still am absolutely abysmal at any kind of sport (except roller skating.....I was a passable skater). I can't run, I can barely swim to save my life, I can't catch, throw or hit a ball.
    If we're ever in a situation where I am "the voice of reason", then we are in a very, very bad situation.

I played baseball and softball.
    I came into this world with nothing and I still have most of it.
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by jujube View Post
    I just looked at my high school yearbook. I never thought about it, but there wasn't a single sport at my high school played competitively by girls, outside of cheerleading which is now considered a sport but sure wasn't back then. Even the bowling club was all-boys. We played softball and volleyball and basketball in gym class but there weren't even any intramural teams.

We were expected to sit in the bleachers and cheer our boyfriends on, I guess. It didn't make any difference to me as I was then and still am absolutely abysmal at any kind of sport (except roller skating.....I was a passable skater). I can't run, I can barely swim to save my life, I can't catch, throw or hit a ball.
    Where and when I grew up, our backward state (Illinois) established rules against girls participating in competitive sports (some stupid goober probably had a thing about girls acting ladylike). I seem to recall a few halfhearted attempts at intramurals that died for lack of support.

Because I grew up running with a herd of wild boys, I was a great distance runner and adept at many sports. I refused to play that stupid half-court basketball the school authorities imposed on girls, but the boys track coach used to come around and give pointers to us girls. From him, I learned some valuable lessons such as how to pace myself and when to kick.

Our water supply was in reservoirs that froze in the winter, so we played lots of ice hockey. I always loved speed-skating and still hit the rink from time to time when my knee is behaving.

I was a solid swimmer who taught swimming lessons and worked as a lifeguard at the YMCA and local pool.

I enjoyed gymnastics at the Y, especially uneven parallel bars until they brought in a coach I refused to work with. He was ghastly.

I'm getting mad all over again at the misguided "educators" who suppressed girls sports for so many years.
    What kills a skunk is the publicity it gives itself. ~Abraham Lincoln

A little skating, some badminton, some bowling. Never was good at sports, unless you count hopscotch and jump rope.

Quote Originally Posted by Smiling Jane View Post
    Where and when I grew up, our backward state (Illinois) established rules against girls participating in competitive sports (some stupid goober probably had a thing about girls acting ladylike). I seem to recall a few halfhearted attempts at intramurals that died for lack of support.

I'm getting mad all over again at the misguided "educators" who suppressed girls sports for so many years.
    Same in Ohio. At the very least we could have learned how to throw a ball accurately, and shoot baskets without using the squat technique. LOL!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.