Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

What book are you reading at the moment? Are you reading on paper or on an e-reader?

I had read&heard about this book,peeked my interest.The name is "Hope Never Dies: A Obama/Biden Mystery" by Andrew Shaffer.
    The story takes place several months after the last election,JOe BIden now retired in Delaware has learned his favorite Amtrak conductor has died in a suspicious accident. He still has the desire to serve,so he decides to become an amateur sleuth along with the help from his BFF,OBama to find the truth.
    Its 100% fiction but funny to see these 2 guys in different roles. I'm enjoying the book immensely. Sue
    Walkers Take It All In Strides

At this point I am reading The Taking by Dean Koontz. I have enjoyed many of his books. I like the suspense of his stories. This novel revolves around a young couple who are weathering a weird storm that has pretty much cut off their town from the world. While not the best of his books I have read, I am finding it an interesting read. http://www.deankoontz.com/the-taking/

I am also, at the same time re-reading a funny book by comedian Lewis Black called I'm Dreaming of a Black Christmas. It is an interesting and funny take on how this particular Jew sees and spends Christmas, and what he thinks of the whole Christmas season. Lewis Black is not a comedian for everyone. I see him as today's George Carlin. Though a bit angrier..but not in a bad way like Sam Kinneson was.

Don't Stop Believing

Quote Originally Posted by moviequeen1 View Post
    I've just started reading "Evicted,Poverty and Profit in The American City" by Princeton sociologist, Matthew Desmond. He follows 8 families in Milwaukee who struggle to keep a roof over their heads,so far its been interesting. The author won numerous awards for the book including Pulitzer Prize in '16 Its paperback,have no desire to get a Kindle or Nook Sue
    This sounds very interesting and probably a very unhappy read. I'm going to keep this in mind. Just looked it up on Amazon.

I have two books going. Thank goodness this one was recomended to me. I had never heard of it. Not action packed but if you like cats and human interest: Dewey. The small town library cat who touched the world by Vicki Myron. Dewey lived to an old age.

I forgot to mention that I have a small handful of free ebooks on my Kindle, but I do not like reading on it. Prefer paper.
    Don't Stop Believing

Quote Originally Posted by Kitties View Post
    I have two books going. Thank goodness this one was recomended to me. I had never heard of it. Not action packed but if you like cats and human interest: Dewey. The small town library cat who touched the world by Vicki Myron. Dewey lived to an old age.
    Check out her follow up book. Dewey's Nine Lives. Here is a link about that one. https://www.amazon.com/Deweys-Nine-L.../dp/0525951865
    Don't Stop Believing

I'm picking up West Like Lightning from my local library tomorrow. It's written by a co-author of American Sniper, and is a history of the Pony Express. I heard a brief interview of the author on NPR while driving one day, and thought that I had to get this book. It's fascinating to me that this was the fastest way to get the news out to California back then.

I read on a Kindle and just finished "Robin" a biography of actor, Robin Williams.

I felt the same way until one day I was reading on my iPad, needed to go to the kitchen, laid down my iPad, and automatically picked up my leather bookmark. At that point I realized that it didn't make any difference in my reading - iPad or physical book. However, I DO still like the feel of a regular book in my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Marie5656 View Post
    Check out her follow up book. Dewey's Nine Lives. Here is a link about that one. https://www.amazon.com/Deweys-Nine-L.../dp/0525951865
    Marie, I have heard this book is sad. True? I know Dewey passes away but he lived to an old age. Are there super sad stories in the follow-up? Thanks for your reply

Last night,I finished 'Hope Never Dies: An Obama/Biden Mystery' by Andrew Shaffer,enjoyed the amusing idea of these 2 as amateur sleuths.
    I'm about to start'Eleanor Oliphant' by Gail Honeyman,read good reviews about the book
    Walkers Take It All In Strides

It has actually been a while since I read 9 Lives. It is basically a collection of stories, some more about Dewey, and some about other cats who were special like Dewey was. If you want to see Dewey in action, go to You Tube and search for Dewey the Library Cat. there are a few videos there of him, from I think news coverage of him. Dewey has been gone a long time, he went to the Rainbow Bridge in 1998
    Don't Stop Believing

Still sticking with paper books!

Presently reading , "The Guns at Last Dawn - The War in Western Europe, 1944-1945". A long read at 641 pages, it is the third volume of "The Liberation Trilogy" by Rick Atkinson. The two previous volumes were "An Army at Dawn", the story of the war in North Africa, and "The Day of Battle", describing the campaigns in Sicily and Italy. These two were somewhat over 500 pages each so it has been quite a lengthy read.

I have to re-new this latest book at the library with-in the next couple of days in order to finish it.

Finishing up Calypso, by David Sedaris. I can't wait to read this authors other books. This one a memior so endearing how the family dynamics made think of my own siblings also the filters we sometimes like to remember certain aspects through and so much more fun life journies. I don't get why they described it as a good read for anyone who hates the beach, so not true, unless they're talking about the shark stories. :
    Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Marie5656 View Post
    It has actually been a while since I read 9 Lives. It is basically a collection of stories, some more about Dewey, and some about other cats who were special like Dewey was. If you want to see Dewey in action, go to You Tube and search for Dewey the Library Cat. there are a few videos there of him, from I think news coverage of him. Dewey has been gone a long time, he went to the Rainbow Bridge in 1998
    Thank you. I will look into the follow up. I know Dewey is gone but he lived a long life. I have been to YouTube already! It was nice to see Dewey in action, Vicki and the library where Dewey lived.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.