Page 117 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117
Results 1,741 to 1,753 of 1753

Never thought retirement would be like this

They look great, Nancy! This is where a nail gun would come in handy. You could pre-drill the nail holes. How do you plan to finish the wood? Solid white stain would protect the wood, and brighten up that space. Unless you want the natural wood grain to show.

Thanks. I'll finish it in clear polyurethane. I hate to paint over wood.

In spite of trying really, really, really, hard to get Fred and Barney to line up just right, they didn't quite. I knew most that would happen. But it turned out ok, just a little extra work involved.

Just remembered they make finishing screws too, with small heads. I used them on the porch screen frames. Another option. Still thinking... Don't have a good feeling about this part coming out well...right at the end, messing things up.

Off to see the dentist guy now....

Quote Originally Posted by NancyNGA View Post
    Thanks. I'll finish it in clear polyurethane. I hate to paint over wood.

In spite of trying really, really, really, hard to get Fred and Barney to line up just right, they didn't quite. I knew most that would happen. But it turned out ok, just a little extra work involved.

Just remembered they make finishing screws too, with small heads. I used them on the porch screen frames. Another option. Still thinking... Don't have a good feeling about this part coming out well...right at the end, messing things up.

Off to see the dentist guy now....
    Have confidence, you will do fine!

The odd thing about shelves is that they tend to disappear when you fill them up, people only see the stuff that's on them!

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
    ...The odd thing about shelves is that they tend to disappear when you fill them up, people only see the stuff that's on them!
    Gee I never thought about that. You are right, Bea! I'll have to make sure all my junk is neat and clean. But dusting the junk? Nope.

Wink

Nancy, the shelves look soooo good. Now, I see you are a perfectionist! If it were me...."aww, it looks okay"! But if you start dusting junk....we are going to have to find you some professional help! LOL
    The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain...​Dolly Parton

Not a perfectionist, really, just gun-shy. I know from experience that every mistake you make always causes much more work later.

Decided to go with the trim screws. Found a half box of stainless steel ones left over from the porch screen project. I need at most 162 screws. I have 159. Can probably find 3 more laying around if I have to.

I can predrill, then drill out a little space at the top to sink the heads without splitting anything or making hammer marks. Don't want things to catch on screw heads sticking up, whenever you drag stuff out of the shelf.

The teeth business went fine this morning. Actual surgery, if you can even call it that, lasted maybe 20 minutes at most. The worst part again was the 1st shot in the roof of the mouth. The drilling and screwing into the bone was more meaningful, since I just got through doing a lot of that into wood lately. By 5pm you wouldn't know anything happened. Just the waiting now.
    Last edited by NancyNGA; 03-21-2017 at 07:36 PM.

It was hot today, high 86F! Ran across more new neighbors while checking the fence. Looks like chickens in movable pens.

The donkey in the picture came right up to see me. This one is different from the speckled one in their front pasture. The one up front yells occasionally, and you can hear him from the house. That's a long way away, but it's a nice sound, just a couple of Hee-Haws and that's it.

All I found down on the fence was 1 small dead tree and a large bush, but there were 7 broken insulators elsewhere. Thought I did a thorough job of checking, but all that repair only brought the charge up to 2600 volts. Unhooked the fence and the charger registered 7900 v, so it's not that. I'm stumped (again). Searching internet for clues. Maybe I should *walk* the fence instead. It's easy to get distracted and miss something while driving.

Got out of shape over the winter. I can tell.

Big thunderstorm after I got home, with lots of hail. Satellite went off. Tomorrow maybe I'll start on those screws. If each one takes only 1 minute () it should only take 2hrs 42mins to finish, assuming no breaks.

Lots of wind and hail with the thunderstorm last night means likely more limbs will be down on the fence now. Oh well...
    Last edited by NancyNGA; 03-22-2017 at 07:40 AM.

Nancy, I saw this and thought of you.

For the goat who has everything!

Bea, they would do that for sure. The one on the left must be tied down or he'd be up there too.

They also like cars.

Teeth issues...

Follow up appointment Monday at 12:15 with the tooth surgeon---routine, just to check if things are healing well. Heck, I started eating popcorn yesterday.

Made an appointment with the vet Wednesday at 2 pm. Dixie is doing funny things with her mouth again, dropping pellets, but she's not losing weight and acts fine. She will have to be given gas to check her teeth, so farm call not possible. Lots of work to do to get ready. You can never predict all the things the goats might decide to do to ruin plans.

First day no rain predicted was Wed. Fingers crossed. Makes me nervous.

It looks like I can't get away from goats. They are back. Spotted them driving by last week and took a walk Saturday to check. They are within 500 feet of my house in town. They are part of a project, a small private grant, to study the feasibility of clearing rough pieces of land in town using goats.

I read the proposal online that won the competition. They were to use reclaimed materials as much as possible, and design temporary movable housing. Apparently none of the housing proposals worked as well as the hauling trailer. The roof seems to have been modified. Maybe to catch rain water?

An old double bowl kitchen sink for a water trough.

This is a delightful thread.

That very nice of you, Tabitha. As I've said before, if this thread is at all interesting, it's the other people who contributed who made it so.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.