Page 130 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130131132 ... LastLast
Results 1,936 to 1,950 of 2002

Never thought retirement would be like this

Quote Originally Posted by maggiemae View Post
    They also "hiss" too. I was checking some plants out back at dusk and I heard this "hissing" sound outside the fence. I did not stick around.
    They aren't very smart either. We set a large no kill trap once for an animal, possibly a coyote, that was hanging around the barn. My mother saw it once. Every morning the same opossum would be caught in the trap. He would hiss at us when we turned him loose. After 3 times we gave up.

OTOH, since we turned him loose unharmed each time, maybe he was smarter than we thought. He got some sardines each time.

Must have been a smart old-possum.IMG_2731.jpg
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.

How hilarious.

Did the fencer show up?

Wink

Nancy, I am still on "a roll", I actually hand washed my car today! I was sweating like a "hog" (do hogs sweat? always heard that term) but realized the vehicle was actually "white"! No more business cards offering free car washes with their services! Go me!
    The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain...​Dolly Parton

Quote Originally Posted by Tabitha View Post
    ....Did the fencer show up?
    No Tabitha. I'm just going to assume he will never show up, and move on to Plan B.

Nancy, I am still on "a roll", I actually hand washed my car today! I was sweating like a "hog" (do hogs sweat? always heard that term) but realized the vehicle was actually "white"! No more business cards offering free car washes with their services! Go me!

Maggiemae, that's great! It's getting hot isn't it? Spring is over I think. I got two things half done today. Does that count as one?

Decided to try to put the post hole digger on the tractor. It is really hard. Got all but one connection. Switched to cleaning out the barn, and got it half done. I'll finish both tomorrow hopefully, and see if I can dig some holes.

Thought of a better fence solution I might be able to do myself. It encloses the barn, the waterer, and the gate which opens into the secure area I've been putting the goats in lately. Maybe a smaller job like this the fencer would have done right away, but he assured me he had a whole crew and could do anything I wanted. That's what happens when you have to make a quick decision.

But that's all water under the bridge now.

A pretty good day today. I only fell down twice. No damage.

Got the post hole digger attached! Discovered the tractor has turn signal lights.

My best and deepest hole! At least 3 feet. I'm so proud.

Problem is they don't go perfectly straight down, always have a bit of a slant. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. Dug 8 holes and 5 of them hit solid rock at 18 inches. {sigh} Will try again tomorrow, but not much hope.

Found this mallet my father made out of a chunk of dogwood tree. It came in handy today.

Finally, anyone know what this is for? I found it in the garage. It goes between the arms of the hitch on the tractor I think. For pulling something? But why so many different holes? Don't even know a keyword to Google.

Found a few left over wooden posts, 30 old T-posts, and a big roll of electric wire. May have to only buy some fence wire and fasteners/insulators.

No dogs barking for several days. This is probably all a waste of time. The dogs will probably never be back, but can't take a chance. I feel guilty about not being vigilant enough before.

Can you use a plumb line?
    Jim

Wow, you did a good job! I know the rock is a real problem in GA. I did do a Google for "old tractor hitch parts" and there are some good images there. Looks like a "hitch conversion part" (I am probably wrong). But the "cog" in the middle means it can be adjusted I think. Now that I look at your pic again, that is not an old tractor!

Don't feel guilty...how were you to know that the neighbor's dogs would attack your goats? Better safe than sorry!
    The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain...​Dolly Parton

Round of applause for you Nancy. ...well done!

... I did do a Google for "old tractor hitch parts" and there are some good images there. Looks like a "hitch conversion part" (I am probably wrong). But the "cog" in the middle means it can be adjusted I think.
    "Hitch conversion" did the trick, maggiemae. Thanks. It's part of a kit. Called a hitch drawbar/stabilizer. For attaching a trailer hitch. Still doesn't explain why 11 holes, but I'll not worry about that.

drawbarstabilizer.jpg

Don't feel guilty...how were you to know that the neighbor's dogs would attack your goats? Better safe than sorry!
    But I knew dogs almost always attack goats that run from them. I worried about dogs getting in for years, then quit worrying so much. Boo.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabitha View Post
    Round of applause for you Nancy. ...well done!
    Thanks, but not so well done, I'm afraid, Tabitha. Now I'll have to confess a BIG mistake. About half way through, the hole digger came off the hitch on one side. Thought the hitch pin fell out. Pulled up the picture of the tractor above and zoomed in. I forgot to put the pin in!!! Good thing I had proof. I'd still be looking for that pin.

Quote Originally Posted by Meanderer View Post
    Can you use a plumb line?
    I think it might be that you are supposed to move the tractor just a tiny little bit as the hole digger gets deeper, but I'm not sure. I haven't seen it mentioned in how-to videos, but this is only the 3rd time I've used this thing, and only for a few holes, and it's like learning all over again each time.

Well, sitting here waiting on the rain. Seems like we live in a "Bermuda Triangle" where it rains all around but we seem to miss it! Same thing last summer! Nancy, did you get more accomplished today? It was very hot and humid!

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    Must have been a smart old-possum.IMG_2731.jpg
    I searched so very hard for a cartoon that was "Bama----- O'Bama", but no luck...
    If you're not in over your head, you'll never know how tall you really are....

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.