Page 133 of 133 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133
Results 1,981 to 1,986 of 1986

Never thought retirement would be like this

Quote Originally Posted by Meanderer View Post
    Can cattle carry diseases harmful to goats?
    Not that I know of. Maybe some kinds of stomach worms are common to both. The goats and cows wouldn't share pastures, unless I'm out with them.
    Last edited by NancyNGA; 05-25-2017 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Meanderer View Post
    It sounds like Mr Fencer is helping you, in order to help himself.
    It does seem that way, it doesn't seem like Mr. Fencer will have much skin in the game.

Based on how long it took him to show up to build the fence and the list of excuses he had to offer I would be cautious of entering into an agreement about the fishing or the cattle.
    Bea, one might also look at it this way, don't you think? ...

It sounds like you are helping Mr. Fencer, in order to help yourself.
    Maybe I'm fooling myself, but I don't think I'll have much skin in the game either. He can't let his cattle get out. He has to maintain the fence to some degree. That alone was almost like having a part time job for me. Now that I have this smaller area for the goats, I'll likely neglect the perimeter fence more, but I shouldn't.

It might be like keeping a fence repairman on retainer for 5 months.

Quote Originally Posted by NancyNGA View Post
    Bea, one might also look at it this way, don't you think? ...

Maybe I'm fooling myself, but I don't think I'll have much skin in the game either. He can't let his cattle get out. He has to maintain the fence to some degree. That alone was almost like having a part time job for me. Now that I have this smaller area for the goats, I'll likely neglect the perimeter fence more, but I shouldn't.

It might be like keeping a fence repairman on retainer for 5 months.
    I understand your thoughts but it seems to me that they are based on the idea that he cares as much about his cattle as you do about your goats.

No matter what you decide I wish you and the goats all the best!!!

The whole thing might fall through anyway. I talked to him today and he was planning on 20 head of cattle. I know there's not enough cleared land for that. He said he would bring his Gator (John Deere utility vehicle) out Sunday and take a look.

They finished everything but the electric wire today, and said they should get the rest done by noon tomorrow. He brought his son along as a helper today and marched me up to meet him. He was too embarrassed to look at me. I think he's a pretty good kid. He could have easily lied about everything, but didn't.

There are a couple things I still have to do. They bought 4' high gates like this. I'm going to cover that gap at the top with wire. That won't be hard to do.

gate525.jpg

It *is* hard for me to take a good picture of a fence though.

fence52517.gif

Sounds like the goats are in good hands, Nancy! Good luck and I wish you the best, as you make your decision.
    Jim

I've searched many times for a video on the net of a goat chewing cud, with the details, showing its neck. Could never find one, so I made one myself. This was the most amazing thing to me, when we first got our goats. Such a complicated process for eating.

Watch his neck closely when he stops chewing. You'll see something go down, and then something come up. This is Shorty.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.