Page 134 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3484124132133134
Results 1,996 to 2,002 of 2002

Never thought retirement would be like this

IMG_2869.JPG
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.

MOO-DY
    Jim

Dairy cows being released from indoor winter housing to fresh pasture for spring grazing. Down here they are allowed out all winter.

Not nearly as graceful as goats. My tenants would be black angus steers. Don't anyone get their hopes up of seeing numerous cow pictures. Fencer didn't show up today, but I forgot he said he was coming until now. Probably just talking.

Sun came out by noon today. Got one small section of top wire done, maybe 150 feet. It wasn't hard. Had a half roll of wire left over from another job. I think I could have finished the whole run (1200 feet) in 2 days, except the wire was too tangled up.

It is called high tensile wire, and is made to be straight, but forced into a roll. When you cut the roll open, it starts unwinding and shooting out at all directions. I didn't know that, and it took literally hours to get it back together after last time, and I still couldn't get it back perfectly.

Guess I either need to get a spool, called a spinning jenny, or give up. May look for one tomorrow and give it another try. They are more than $20 now. I thought it was just me, that I just didn't know how to unroll it, but this guy says you need a spool. I believe him now.

As far as letting the fencer put his cattle on your land, well I think the "analyzing it to death" is the way to go in this case! He did do a good job on the fence. Make it easy on yourself and weigh all the options.

What decision did you make on the house that your neighbor wanted to sell?

You are one busy woman! I wish I had half your energy or "spunk"! LOL
    The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain...​Dolly Parton

Maggiemae, spending so much time out there, and getting behind on routine things in town, is starting to get to me. I guess I'm just doing something to keep busy out there, and to see if I can do it just for fun, and for insurance, in case the fencers decide to start another job and don't come back for a week or two. Last time I started trying to do something myself, they showed up the next day. Maybe it will work again. Ha!

Haven't heard from the neighbor. I thought she was closing on her new condo the 17th of May. I don't have time to think seriously enough about it. I'm just afraid one day I'll end up with my house like this, if that renter guy buys it.

nail-house.jpg

Found a Spinning Jenny today---the last one they had at Tractor Supply. It really does work great. Got all the wire untangled. Shopping and assembly didn't leave much time but got another ~350 feet strung. That leaves about 700 to go, plus running a wire underground at one gate and making some connections. Might as well continue until I run out of wire. If the fencers don't show up by then, I'll buy some more and keep going, 'cause I got to be there anyway. It's getting easier with practice.

The top wire is the most important. Some animal has been digging under the new fence already, but too small for a dog. This is really tight fence. The bottom electric wire will take care of that. May decide to string a 3rd one inside, to keep the goats from using the fence as a scratching device. They can stretch it and make it sag doing that.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.