Page 144 of 145 FirstFirst ... 4494134142143144145 LastLast
Results 2,146 to 2,160 of 2168

Never thought retirement would be like this

Quote Originally Posted by maggiemae View Post
    ... Heard my first cicada's today. I was reading on the back porch and heard their summer singing. Seems a bit early. It is usually in August before I hear them around here.
    I thought I heard them too this week, but wrote it off to tree frogs because it is so early. Maybe they came out because they were afraid of drowning.

A burrito is a sleeping bag for ground beef.

Ha! Ha! Pappy. Is that Frank Cinatra?

Just a quick note on what I've found out about fiber optics cable. Apparently it can now be run above ground on poles. Typically they connect to your copper phone lines at the house. Fiber optics inside the house would be prohibitively expensive to install anyway. Evidently copper is a very good conductor for *short* distances. The slow down in speed due to the copper part is almost negligible, or so they claim. It was plenty fast enough for me when it was all copper.

I just looked outside and there is a thick shiny silver cable dangling an inch or two below the phone line with some kind of harness, like a net.

Waiting for a call from the pump man. He said he would give me an hour's notice before he was ready to go out.

--------
    Update 5:20 pm
    : Pump man hadn't called as of 2 pm so I went out anyway and the water was running! He had already been there and fixed it. One down and 3 to go.

Doctors office called and reminded me of annual (semi-annual?) appointment tomorrow afternoon, which I completely forgot about! Then the AT&T person Thursday 9-11, and I set up Friday afternoon for the AC repairman. Just want this week to be over.

6:00 pm: Mowed front lawn.
    Last edited by NancyNGA; 07-11-2017 at 03:57 PM.

You have had one busy week! Our cable is run above ground and connected to an outside box to our house. Since you are with AT&T, do you have a "dish" for TV? If so, does it go out when there is rain in the area? That is one reason I am reluctant to go with a "dish". We mowed grass yesterday and it was a good thing because we got another rain shower this afternoon. We have mushrooms popping up everywhere!
    The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain...​Dolly Parton

.... Since you are with AT&T, do you have a "dish" for TV? If so, does it go out when there is rain in the area? That is one reason I am reluctant to go with a "dish".
    Yes I've got a DirecTV dish. And it does go out, but usually only in strong thunderstorms, not just plain old rains, and it will come back on quickly when they pass over. I'm not vouching for a dish though, I've not had cable TV for a while. It wasn't good service here, and almost went out of business, but the complaints were on the customer service end, not the reception. It was always fine for me.

My mother had DishTV (satellite). It was cheaper but they kept dropping channels temporarily when they got into negotiating contracts. When they dropped Braves Baseball, that was the final straw and I got her on DirecTV.
    ps. It *didn't* rain here today!

Hump day---2 down, 2 to go. Doctor pressing me to do a colonoscopy, first one ever. He suggested Uber for transportation. Maybe they won't be as fussy as the cataract surgeon about that. So I told him to go ahead and schedule one for November, after the grass stopped growing. I think I have a real winner in this doctor. He is so honest, I believe he would sit and talk to you forever. Why he's usually running behind schedule. BP 109/64 this time.

I have 12 hours to get this office room in shape for the AT&T people tomorrow morning. Things come in this room but never leave, including papers, dust, and me, some days.

That looks exactly like my room, Meanderer! ... Until today.

AT&T serviceman just called and said, since my installation is the first on the street, they found some problems they didn't foresee, and the main office would have to call and reschedule, while they fixed the problem. He didn't say how long that would be.

I had an option of picking Monday to do this, but was afraid of a tight schedule. As it turned out, it would have been ok. Think I'm discovering a new life rule: Always take the first open appointment no matter what.

Running out of unlimited data minutes on the new phone plan. They will reduce the speed to 128 Kbps soon. Wonder how slow that will be. May be like dial-up, IDK?

Update: Installation rescheduled for Monday, 1-4 pm. The 128 Kbps scared me, so I bought a few more big data thingy's, for this month only. Next month I think I'll purposely run over just to see what happens. Could be it's a bluff. There is no contract---month to month. I guess this proves I'm addicted, doesn't it? {sigh}
    Last edited by NancyNGA; 07-13-2017 at 03:34 PM.

Well, AT&T is sounding like Comcast! And to think you wasted all that time getting your office nice and neat! LOL MY office looks just as bad. Seems to become the dumping ground for junk mail that should be shredded when it first hits the door and any other box or bag that you think you need to hold on to "just in case" you need to take the item back! UGH!

I think the colonoscopy is not so bad...it's the "prep" that is nasty! But don't listen to me, I have never had one. Don't they put you in "twilight sleep" when they do the procedure?
    The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain...​Dolly Parton

... And to think you wasted all that time getting your office nice and neat! LOL MY office looks just as bad. Seems to become the dumping ground for junk mail that should be shredded when it first hits the door and any other box or bag that you think you need to hold on to "just in case" you need to take the item back! UGH!
    YES, I could have waited until Sunday night to start cleaning. Phooey!

You describe what I do exactly. I got a whole big recycle bin full of papers out of this. Actually some of it has just been put in a box and moved temporarily to another room, where I can shut the door and keep it out of sight. ... And sort more later. ... But that never seems to happen.

... I think the colonoscopy is not so bad...it's the "prep" that is nasty! But don't listen to me, I have never had one. Don't they put you in "twilight sleep" when they do the procedure?
    I have no idea, but I figure if other people can do it, I can do it.

Oh, now that the rain went away, it is nice and hot, isn't it? I forgot about that benefit of rain---keeping the temps down. Oh well...

Update Friday, 2pm: Three down, one to go. Ac repairman called early. Met him out there and he was finished by 11:00 am. AT&T will be easy assuming everything goes as planned Monday, because I'll be here all day anyway. Beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
    Last edited by NancyNGA; 07-14-2017 at 11:15 AM.

Yes, Meanderer, the light will soon be on here. Waiting on the fiber optics folks this afternoon. Not much been going on other than lawn mowing.

How about a 10 second video? The story: They know they will get gingersnaps, but only when I get to the barn. When I head down there, they take off running so they will be there when I get there. Silly goats.

Not bad for 13.5 year old large breed goats. Couldn't get the phone out in time to show the white one dancing just before he took off.

[As usual, better in HD (720p)]

I was wrong about how AT&T was going to do this. They brought the fiber optics cable right into the house, but not following the phone lines. That would be almost impossible. At one location. Only difference is it means I couldn't move the pc (like to another phone outlet), but I can't imagine ever wanting to do that anyway. Pages seem to load instantly, and videos take less than a second to start.

Ookla Speed Test results:
    (I think Aunt Bea, or someone, recommended this website some time ago.)

Ping: 7 ms
    Download Speed: 30.64 Mbps
    Upload Speed: 25.07 Mbps

The upload speed number seems really big compared to before, but I can't remember what they were.
    Last edited by NancyNGA; 07-18-2017 at 07:11 AM.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.