Page 145 of 145 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145
Results 2,161 to 2,168 of 2168

Never thought retirement would be like this

  1. #2161
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    6,352

    The thread on Dining Alone reminded me of my first solo trip away from home. A simple little two day trip, but I'll never forget the details. This is just one of them.

    Before I moved to Raleigh, NC, I flew down from the Cleveland airport to make some arrangements, and find an apartment. First drive alone into Cleveland. First plane flight. First hotel. I had planned the second day to find an apartment, with no transportation. Never thought of renting a car, probably too na´ve to realize cabs weren't just in NYC. Definitely didn't plan ahead. So inexperienced.

    It was July of 1970, hot and humid like only in the South. Walked a long way to an apt. rental agency at 8:30 am, but it didn't open until 9am. Didn't know yet things seemed to be on a more laid back schedule there. Walked to a cafeteria to read the newspaper ads, drink coffee, and begin to panic. Within a half hour a young man showed up, and asked what I was reading. He knew of a vacant duplex in his complex, and volunteered to drive me to check it out, and back to the cafeteria. The place was perfect. I often think of how easy he made it. Would I have ever figured out what to do?

    One of my friends used to say I was the unluckiest person he ever knew, and I remember agreeing at the time. He must have been talking about the small stuff, because I can't for the life of me remember having bad luck now. Maybe because I've never been very adventuresome. Maybe I've just been extremely lucky. Maybe it's genetic. Maybe because there was no whining and crying about the small stuff allowed in my family.

  2. #2162
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,337
    Call the Super.......


  3. #2163
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,337
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyNGA View Post
    The thread on Dining Alone reminded me of my first solo trip away from home. A simple little two day trip, but I'll never forget the details. This is just one of them.

    Before I moved to Raleigh, NC, I flew down from the Cleveland airport to make some arrangements, and find an apartment. First drive alone into Cleveland. First plane flight. First hotel. I had planned the second day to find an apartment, with no transportation. Never thought of renting a car, probably too na´ve to realize cabs weren't just in NYC. Definitely didn't plan ahead. So inexperienced.

    It was July of 1970, hot and humid like only in the South. Walked a long way to an apt. rental agency at 8:30 am, but it didn't open until 9am. Didn't know yet things seemed to be on a more laid back schedule there. Walked to a cafeteria to read the newspaper ads, drink coffee, and begin to panic. Within a half hour a young man showed up, and asked what I was reading. He knew of a vacant duplex in his complex, and volunteered to drive me to check it out, and back to the cafeteria. The place was perfect. I often think of how easy he made it. Would I have ever figured out what to do?

    One of my friends used to say I was the unluckiest person he ever knew, and I remember agreeing at the time. He must have been talking about the small stuff, because I can't for the life of me remember having bad luck now. Maybe because I've never been very adventuresome. Maybe I've just been extremely lucky. Maybe it's genetic. Maybe because there was no whining and crying about the small stuff allowed in my family.
    Nancy, I think it was that your parents raised you, and equipped you to be self confident and self reliant, so you could survive on your own.

  4. #2164
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    6,352
    Quote Originally Posted by Meanderer View Post
    Call the Super.......

    That apartment really *was* perfect. It had a bedroom, indoor bathroom, and kitchen, and only cost $75/mo. Not a good time to start getting picky. Ha!

  5. #2165
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    453
    Nancy, your story brought back some memories. After we got married, my husband left for VietNam and after six months he got R&R in Hawaii. Me being a small town southern girl from Mississippi had never been on an airplane and the thoughts of flying across country was a bit scary. When I ended up having a lay over in LA, I was wide eyed with what I saw! Luckily I ended sitting next to the sweetest lady that was flying to meet her husband (a Major in the Air Force) and she took me under her wing and got a cab for both of us when we landed and she made sure I got to my hotel. Mike's group was delayed and would not be getting there until the next morning. She made sure I got checked into the hotel and then took me to dinner. I believe God sent that angel to look out after me. I was soo naive, I was only 20!
    The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain...​Dolly Parton

  6. #2166
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    6,352
    Quote Originally Posted by maggiemae View Post
    Nancy, your story brought back some memories. After we got married, my husband left for VietNam and after six months he got R&R in Hawaii. Me being a small town southern girl from Mississippi had never been on an airplane and the thoughts of flying across country was a bit scary. When I ended up having a lay over in LA, I was wide eyed with what I saw! Luckily I ended sitting next to the sweetest lady that was flying to meet her husband (a Major in the Air Force) and she took me under her wing and got a cab for both of us when we landed and she made sure I got to my hotel. Mike's group was delayed and would not be getting there until the next morning. She made sure I got checked into the hotel and then took me to dinner. I believe God sent that angel to look out after me. I was soo naive, I was only 20!
    What a nice story. That's a really long journey for your first solo trip! And such a nice lady. I agree it was like a guardian angel had shown up, in my case too. Things like that, being constantly on edge, wondering if you'll get through the next step, are exhausting. More than doing physical work.

    Speaking of work, I mowed both the front and back lawns last night. Finished just before dark, then fell asleep lying on the floor watching TV, and didn't wake up til *early* this morning. Back to bed. I'm all messed up today. Too much sleep.

  7. #2167
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    6,352
    Quote Originally Posted by Meanderer View Post
    Nancy, I think it was that your parents raised you, and equipped you to be self confident and self reliant, so you could survive on your own.
    I'd like to think so, but I'm not so sure it was by design, more like circumstances. They were always so busy building something. I was a baby when they were building our house. I remember my mother saying they put me in a playpen, and had to come check occasionally to see if I was ok, because I was too quiet, busy entertaining myself. Maybe ended up being a little *too* independent for my own good. I'm grateful for it, whether by design or not.

  8. #2168
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,337
    I've said it before: We are raised by other people's children, and if we choose, turn around and raise other people's parents. It seems to work.
    JIM

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.

Similar Threads

  1. Will Your Retirement Be A Working Retirement?
    By MercyL in forum Retirement
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 12-08-2016, 03:37 AM
  2. Who Would Have Thought!
    By Debby in forum Introductions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-16-2014, 04:14 PM
  3. Just when you thought....
    By Murphy in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-10-2014, 08:45 AM
  4. Last Thought.
    By Diwundrin in forum Humor
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-05-2013, 10:35 PM
  5. Just a Thought
    By sammajamma in forum Entertainment
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-17-2013, 03:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Family & Health Forums: Mom Forum - Health Forum - Low Carb Forum - Pet Forums