Page 162 of 163 FirstFirst ... 62112152160161162163 LastLast
Results 2,416 to 2,430 of 2443

Never thought retirement would be like this

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    ... Got word our power in Florida came on at 6 this morning. Normally, we never loose power as our lines are underground, but this storm showed no mercy on anything. Yea...power.
    That's good news too. When the AC is off strange things start to happen to your house, even under normal conditions, in the south anyway.

I'd rather be tromping around in the rain with wet feet picking up limbs than stuck inside the house with no electricity. It drives me nuts. I go around flipping all the light switches anyway, even hours after if goes out.

During the 80's I owned a small gentleman's farm (3 acres). It was located at the junction of several drain ditches. There was a 2 foot under road drain pipe that was thought to handle any runoff, wrong! It may have worked at one time but when the canal company left water in the canals late into the winter which of course froze into one giant ice cube, it flooded my property & house.

Alas, 4-5 winters & heavy early spring rains finally convinced them to put in a much larger drain, but of course that was after 4 floods with it's 3 foot deep moot in my yard, we finally gave up sold the place & moved to higher ground. Now mind you we lived in the arid west so that wasn't supposed to happen. Not once did my home owner's insurance pay for that or did FEMA come to my aid.

We found that if you kept a stack of barley straw handy you could divert the water along the roadway & have it return to the drain ditch below the road crossing. We did get the county to detour traffic around our barricade.

Roadwarrior, your story reminded me...when we were making plans for building our goat barn, I went to a large goat care forum to ask what was the best kind of floor. Almost unanimously they said dirt! ....Wrong!

Goats dig out nests just like some dogs do when they lie down. After a couple of years of 14 goats digging nests every day, the floor gets lower than the surrounding area. First tropical storm flooded.

We then covered the floor with bags of asphalt driveway patch and mixed Quikrete. Solved the problem, but it would have been so easy to get a concrete slab poured to begin with.

Why did the members recommend dirt?

It dawned on me some time later, because none of them had enough money for concrete. Sometimes you justify things in your head to fit your situation. Group think had set in there. You have to be skeptical of recommendations on the internet.

Yes, bales of straw, and old moldy hay, have come in so handy here, in a region where the soil erodes badly.

And yes, higher ground is good. We also should have told the grader to form a mound for the building. Instead he leveled the area. We didn't know any better at the time. He should have I think. But that's in the past. I try not to dwell on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Meanderer View Post
    Glad to hear that your goats and barn made out OK! I am hoping you will find people to help you with the trees on the fence. Be careful, Nancy!
    Thanks. I'm always careful. I just joke around a lot. "Saw" this on the news today. If she can do it, I can.

Don't get me started on what a small herd of pigs can do. I finally put them in the pen with a concrete floor, then found out from an old farmer that if I threw a shovel of sod/dirt into the pen they would not get what is called the 'thumps' (lack of iron). Another thing was a raw egg in the calves milk to prevent 'scours' nasty word for a nasty death. Laying chickens need the exact same size nest or they fight. We all know that they will pick another chicken to death if they see a blood spot. You need a few chicks to teach turkey chicks how to eat, they are too stupid & will stave to death. Also keep them out of the rain or they will drown looking up towards the rain. Lessons learned.

RW, don't get me started on what goats can do. They are the most curious, mischievous creatures. We built this hay feeder, where the dropped hay falls into a trough below, instead of on the floor. Two of those big white goats would get up into the feeder and stand in the trough part. [Goats won't eat dirty, stepped on, hay unless they are starving. ]

We had to put removable 2x4's across the space to keep them out.

Loved the video...go girl! I love power tools! You just got to learn how to use them! Spent most of today picking up small limbs and then blowing leaves off the driveway. Could have been much worse. I get so tired of hearing about people on the news complain about how they have been without power since Monday. These power crews are working nonstop, not to mention the tree removal crews. I remember years ago when a major storm went through, it was not unusual for the power to be off for over a week or more. We would sit out on the front porch and listen to a battery operated radio for entertainment until it was time to go to bed. I know we have all gotten spoiled with our cable/dish, internet, Ipads, etc. but try to remember the ones that cannot go home to their families because they are trying to restore power to your family.
    The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain...​Dolly Parton

Oh my, I just looked back on the previous page and saw the trees down at the farm! Lordy, you have some work to do! Nothing fell on the cabin?
    The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain...​Dolly Parton

Quote Originally Posted by maggiemae View Post
    ...Spent most of today picking up small limbs and then blowing leaves off the driveway. Could have been much worse. I get so tired of hearing about people on the news complain about how they have been without power since Monday. These power crews are working nonstop, not to mention the tree removal crews. I remember years ago when a major storm went through, it was not unusual for the power to be off for over a week or more. We would sit out on the front porch and listen to a battery operated radio for entertainment until it was time to go to bed. I know we have all gotten spoiled with our cable/dish, internet, Ipads, etc. but try to remember the ones that cannot go home to their families because they are trying to restore power to your family.
    It was really strange today. Life was going on, just like nothing ever happened, except there are leaves and sticks all over the yard. Not like what's happening in Florida at all. We are so lucky.

I mentioned in another thread, the winds were so strong here Monday night no one could have even attempted to restore power before Tuesday morning anyway. My neighbor's big old hickory tree was bending over so much, even it scared me. I was frankly surprised it came back on so quickly.

One thing I know to do next time is buy a dozen of these cheap LED flashlights with flat bottoms, and put one in the middle of each room. Reflection of the light off the white ceiling makes much more light than any of my oil lamps. Can't keep them lit anyway. Thought the wicks needed trimming but that didn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by maggiemae View Post
    Oh my, I just looked back on the previous page and saw the trees down at the farm! Lordy, you have some work to do! Nothing fell on the cabin?
    I didn't even check the cabin. Had all the large trees removed from around it a few years ago. The door might have gotten wedged under the roof again. LOL. I'll check it tomorrow, or Friday. You have to take a completely different road to get there.

Wanted to add, since we have the inner fence around the barn now, as well as the perimeter fence, it's not so urgent to clear those trees. Of course the goats are too lazy to go all the way back where those trees are down, but it could have happened up near the barn just as easily.

9/10: 1390 calories
    9/11: 1480 ...." ....(ugh!)
    9/12: 1160.... "

Couldn't figure out where else to put this. There are a lot of doo's in it, but it's not doo-wop because apparently you need a group.

Larry Hooper - Oh Happy Day (1961)

Nancy. Wonder what makes a goat do this. We had one who did the same thing.

Iíve learned that life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes. Andy Rooney

I don't know Pappy. Goats are normally gentle with people. That is an intact male goat. We never had one of those. They *can* be aggressive, but some are also very gentle.

In general, head butting is a dominance thing. All goats in a herd continually challenge each other, in pairs, with head butting duels, to move up in the pecking order. Ours never seemed to take it that seriously. It was more like playing. If you run around the lot and chase with them they will get excited and pretend to challenge you with a head butt, but never actually touch you.

I would suspect it was how the goat was treated when it was little. On the goat forum I belonged to, they said never try to drag a goat around by its horns, and never play with them by putting your hand or foot on their head and let them press against you.

Could just be genetics. It's a good thing he has had his horns removed. I'd be curious if they were removed at birth or as an adult.

Took off the other way around the fence today, and met the neighbor's son. Our conversation is a whole 'nother story, so I'll skip it for now.

This was the first place that required a lot of work to clear. [note all the other *big* trees around that will probably fall some day]

Left it like this, balancing on a bent fence post. Not sure how to handle it. Would need a ladder to cross over regardless.

Ran into what I thought was another gigantic pile of trees down in the middle of the road, but it turned out to be the same mess I found Tuesday. The circle was completed!!!

I wasn't sure exactly where it was Tuesday. Too difficult to explain why here, but anyway, this is from the opposite side. So basically this is all that's left to do. Ha!

Funny thing, I got so happy when I realized this was the *same* pile of trees, instead of a new one. (You had to be there.) Just goes to show, happiness is all relative.

I think that Nancy is right that part of it is how the goat was treated when it was young, and part is the nature of a male goat. They are not all this way; but I also had one that would attack people, and he especially disliked men. I think that because he was aggressive that they had probably gotten rough with this goat, and then he became even worse.
    He seemed to like me okay, although he was never what I would call sociable, and he was a very large Saanen billy goat that we had borrowed for the breeding season with my milking does.
    One thing that you will notice with the man in the video, is that in trying to protect himself, he is kicking the goat and fighting back, which only makes the goat more aggressive, and doesn't hurt him one bit.
    Usually, what I did when i could not get cooperation from a goat was to grab ahold of the ear, and then they would stop fighting and come along peacefully.
    I didn't have to do this very often, but it worked the best of anything when I needed to deal with an uncooperative goat.
    Discussion is an exchange of knowledge; an argument an exchange of ignorance.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.