Page 163 of 163 FirstFirst ... 63113153161162163
Results 2,431 to 2,443 of 2443

Never thought retirement would be like this

Quote Originally Posted by Happyflowerlady View Post
    ...Usually, what I did when i could not get cooperation from a goat was to grab ahold of the ear, and then they would stop fighting and come along peacefully. I didn't have to do this very often, but it worked the best of anything when I needed to deal with an uncooperative goat.
    Oh yes, I almost forgot about grabbing an ear. It certainly gets their attention. LOL!

Ours have always been well-behaved, in spite of my joking about them sometimes. The only problem has been with catching two of them---brother and sister twins. I can see where that came from though. When I went to pick those two up (2 months old), the owner insisted on chasing them around a small pasture to catch them. She gave up because I was not a very good helper, didn't know what I was supposed to do. She finally herded them into a barn and cornered them. Never understood why she didn't do that in the first place.

I suspect all her goats are "difficult." The way you treat most animals, for the first few weeks, is important in forming their personality quirks, imo.

Knowing how playful young goats are, I think that it is quite possible that the baby goats simply thought they were out running around the field together and having a fun time. The poor lady was trying to catch them, and (I can just visualize them now) the goat kids were so happy that she came out to play this fun game with them again.
    I agree that she should have herded them into the barn and caught them that way. Even the little goats will usually come on the run if you are shaking a can with oats in it, and go right into the barn to eat.
    Once she did this for a few days, and then let them back out after they had a snack, they would have probably come running right into the barn anytime she wanted to catch them.
    That is definitely easier than chasing a goat that does not want to be caught around the field. I had to do this same thing with a horse when it didn't want to be caught.
    Discussion is an exchange of knowledge; an argument an exchange of ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by Happyflowerlady View Post
    Knowing how playful young goats are, I think that it is quite possible that the baby goats simply thought they were out running around the field together and having a fun time. The poor lady was trying to catch them, and (I can just visualize them now) the goat kids were so happy that she came out to play this fun game with them again.
    That's what I think too. I still have the male. He will come stand right in front of me, just out of reaching distance, then take off running if I move a little, just like he wants to play chase, even if I'm not trying to catch him.

How many goats did/do you have? Did you get them because of the milk?

Very funny Nancy

Hi Tabitha! Missed you.

The conversation with the neighbor's son ....

This is the neighbor whose wife keeps asking if her husband can go deer hunting on our property (and we keep saying no). The son drove his pickup through the field just to ask me to let him know when I decided to sell, because he was interested in buying.

Here's the thing that bothers me...

He said when he was "just a little tyke" *my* father took him on the tractor down to the lake with him several times. He held out his hand, like 5 years old high. He said he is 32 now. I do remember running into him once as a child with *HIS* father on a lawn tractor down at the lake, before my parents moved up here. So I asked him to repeat the story, more than once, just to make sure I heard him right. He stuck to it.

When my parents bought that tractor he had to be at least 12 years old, likely much older. I'll check the bill of sale if I can find it.

First, my father didn't care much about being around children, unless they sat still and kept quiet. Second, he was super cautious about safety. He would not have voluntarily taken a child anywhere, especially on a tractor. I suppose it's possible he got roped into it once, but more than once-----nope, didn't happen!

What is he up to? Is he just mixing up his father and mine?

There is a long history of his parents both telling stories that just don't add up, almost every time I meet one of them in fact, and why I try to avoid talking to them if at all possible. Every time I do I go away half upset. Sometimes I can see an ulterior motive, sometimes not. Can you inherit a tendency to not tell the truth?

9/13: 1390 calories
    9/14: 1480 ...."
    9/15: 1160 ...."
    9/16: 1250.... "
    (got to get more serious)

Sounds suspect to me. First off, the deer do not know boundries, can't they hunt on their own land if the deer go on to their property? I would be afraid they might mistake one of your goats for a deer. If they "upset" you, then do not interact with them. Not worth it! You don't think they are messing around the cabin? Be careful lady, seems like they have an "agenda"! And yes, there are people that are "chronic liars"!
    The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain...​Dolly Parton

Yeah, I think I figured it out last night. He wants me to believe my parents and their family were good buddies. Now that my parents are both dead, he knows I can't ask them. And if I think they were all good buddies I'll be more cooperative about deer hunting and selling the property to them.

I know for a fact they weren't good friends. My mother really didn't like the wife, and my dad wouldn't let them move their mobile home across our property to set it up, a one time thing that I would have probably agreed to even.

Anyway his plan backfired.

I've been told I'm gullible. It's true, to the extent that I take everyone at their word until they show me I shouldn't. It's been worth the gamble so far. Better than going around suspicious and defensive all the time.

But, if someone shows me they lie in order to manipulate people, stick a fork in them, they are done. I avoid them like the plague after that.

ps. I got more green beans cooking right now. These are pole beans and I let them warm up to room temp before snapping and stringing them. We'll see soon if it worked. It worked. Only missed strings in one or two beans out of a pound raw.

pps. Found the bill of sale for the tractor---1997. He would have been 12. I was in 7th grade at 12. Don't know about boys, but we had been into makeup and straight skirts for a year by then, and that was back in the old slow development days. LOL!

9/17: 900 calories
    Last edited by NancyNGA; 09-17-2017 at 08:30 PM.

Nancy, I saw this and thought of you and your neighbor's son.

"Whatever gets your goat gets your attention. Whatever gets your attention gets your time. Whatever gets your time gets you. Whatever gets you becomes your master. Take care, lest a little thing horn in and get your goat." -
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
    Nancy, I saw this and thought of you and your neighbor's son.
    "Whatever gets your goat gets your attention. Whatever gets your attention gets your time. Whatever gets your time gets you. Whatever gets you becomes your master. Take care, lest a little thing horn in and get your goat." - William Arthur Ward
    Thanks Bea. I did kind of let him get my goat that day, but it was worth it this time.

When I thought about how he had you questioning your memory, and whether you even knew your own family members, I remembered the movie Gaslight (1944, Ingrid Bergman and Charles Boyer), and started reading about "gaslighting" in a Psychology Today article. Couldn't stop pursuing the topic. Almost pulled an all-nighter.

Turns out gaslighting, in different degrees, is not that uncommon, and not just between couples, but in all kinds of relationships, and children *can* learn it from their parents, but many go the opposite direction.

I've known 2, possibly 3, people like that. All 3 would drive me crazy if I had to be around them every day. I must be susceptible to that kind of thing, because the only solution for me is to stay completely away from them.

My old boss was one. It was great to finally see her described in writing.

The worst part is gaslighters will put on a different face and work hard to cultivate a group of casual friends to use for support, in case the victim ever tries to call them out on what they are doing. Those "friends" will also think the victim is crazy. But they are victims too. They don't have a clue what's really going on, or that they are being used.

Anyway, I retired the first day it was financially feasible. As you can probably tell the experience still stings after all these years. In fact just writing this makes me feel a little crazy again.

Eleven Signs of Gaslighting - Psychology Today

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.