Page 170 of 170 FirstFirst ... 70120160168169170
Results 2,536 to 2,546 of 2546

Never thought retirement would be like this

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
    It may be a sign that a stranger has been around and the goats are just making sure that you are their human.
    I suppose it's possible, but trespassers would have little interest in the goats.

Their lives have been messed up ever since the dogs got Dixie. First, I spent a lot of time with her, putting out sad and worried "vibes", vets coming and going. Then they were penned up in the barn for several days waiting for the fencers, then the fencers came, then a different pasture. And now there are only two---different herd dynamics. It's not really surprising that another little change in routine messes them up. I think hunting season starts soon, if not already. There will be a lot of gunshots out there until January.

I think they just need a routine that follows a 24 hour clock. My own life never followed a 24 hour clock, even when I was working.

Closet update:

The ceiling sheetrock came down Monday---what a mess. Rediscovered there is a beautiful unfinished hardwood floor in there.

I'm studying different ways to secure a knee wall. Because of the old lumber in the house, and all the modifications over the years, I've learned, the hard way, to *try* and think ahead of all the things that can possibly go wrong. Can't afford any complications when it comes to putting up sheetrock, 'cause I've never done it before. In fact, I'm getting cold feet on that. Maybe I should use paneling instead.

I'm going to try to follow something like this picture, with blocking, only just 1 foot deep, for shelves, unless it proves to be just too complicated:

attic-bedroom-closet.jpg

Worst comes to worst, on the *other* 3 walls, I think I can always do one of these:

The Mooney Wall

Strips on top of framing to remove imperfections, and provide more room for insulation (outdoor wall has studs oriented flat side to the wall). Anyone who has some tips, please jump in any time.

When they bulldoze this house down, after I'm gone, I don't want anyone looking down at the rubble and saying, "She didn't frame that closet properly." It's kind of like when your mother tells you to always put on clean underwear when you go out.

I see you said hunting seasons coming up Nancy. You might want to have your goats defend themselves. Some hunters will shoot anything that moves.

267F3BF8-2ED5-429F-9C36-4116D5428082.jpeg
    I wonder if a turkeys Iphone goes...wing...wing.

Pappy, for some reason, your picture reminded me of The Andy Griffith Show, and the episode where they thought a goat ate some sticks of dynamite.

Barney is playing a harmonica to calm the goat down if I recall correctly.

I remember that episode Nancy. Loved that show. Still watch it now and then.
    I wonder if a turkeys Iphone goes...wing...wing.

Can't find a good place to put this picture, so I'm puttin' it here! I just like old houses. Haven't seen a porch built around a chimney. Maybe a later addition?

"Breake Farm, Taylor's Crossroads" Nash County, North Carolina, 1936.
    (acetate negative by Frances Benjamin Johnston)

SHORPY_02892a.preview.jpg

Large Picture (for sale at shorpy.com)

Frances Benjamin Johnson
    FBJ1.gif

Picked up 12 bales of straw at Lowes this morning and got the barn ready for winter. Grocery shopping. Removed that horizontal "antique" 2x4 in the closet tonight without ruining it, using a hacksaw. It might possibly be used beside the antique one already nailed to the floor, so the frame can be done correctly? We'll see...

Update, 6:20 pm, Oct 21:
    The room is not square and not everything is straight up and down---no surprise there. I've never had that work out well in the end, but that's the way the closet was to begin with, and it looked fine. Tear everything out and start over, or try to adjust a little? Probably adjust, because I might end up having to tear the whole house down otherwise.

Shims1.gif
    Last edited by NancyNGA; 10-21-2017 at 03:34 PM.

My wife and I retired in Nov. 2014, we had a small service company with 5 employee's that we sold just before the industry here took a bit of dive so we did very well.
    We bought a small used motorhome and traveled to the Yukon, Alaska then across Canada to Newfoundland and later South down the coastal highway to California , across to Zion, Monument Valley and Yellowstone park then home. All in around three years with plans to do a whole lot more.
    On Sept. 25, a month ago my wife had a heart attack and passed away at age 57. She had been having some issues with her electrolytes being unbalanced but thought it was under control.
    I'm sort of living in a bubble here now but I have good friends around and our kids are helping me and each other a lot. Thats my story.

Well, I know about nothing being "square" in this house! I think the builders came in after a night on the town and just started putting up walls! Lordy, if you put a marble on any counter top here, it would roll to the left or right! Makes me crazy! And do not even get me started on door frames! Why oh why would you not square up door frames and doors?

Yep, suppose to get "cold" next week. Glad you got the barn ready! I am going to Lowes tomorrow and get an oil filled heater for the sun porch. I have one that is about 14 years old and it works pretty good but takes awhile to heat up. I love to sit out there and read and look for deer and rabbits! See why I can't get alot of my projects done? LOL But I have a "List" and dang it I am going to stick with it!
    The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain...​Dolly Parton

Quote Originally Posted by maggiemae View Post
    Well, I know about nothing being "square" in this house! I think the builders came in after a night on the town and just started putting up walls!
    You always have such a great way of describing things!

Quote Originally Posted by maggiemae View Post
    I love to sit out there and read and look for deer and rabbits! See why I can't get alot of my projects done? LOL But I have a "List" and dang it I am going to stick with it!
    I know nothing about oil heaters, but it sounds like a nice place out there. You can sit out there until Wednesday. Then you better get that list out. Ha!

My problem is I don't know where to start on this thing, but I got to start somewhere. I know it will be wrong whatever I do. Yikes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyV View Post
    My wife and I retired in Nov. 2014, we had a small service company with 5 employee's that we sold just before the industry here took a bit of dive so we did very well.
    We bought a small used motorhome and traveled to the Yukon, Alaska then across Canada to Newfoundland and later South down the coastal highway to California , across to Zion, Monument Valley and Yellowstone park then home. All in around three years with plans to do a whole lot more.
    On Sept. 25, a month ago my wife had a heart attack and passed away at age 57. She had been having some issues with her electrolytes being unbalanced but thought it was under control.
    I'm sort of living in a bubble here now but I have good friends around and our kids are helping me and each other a lot. Thats my story.
    Aww Johnny, I'm so sorry about your wife. I can imagine you must still be in a kind of shock, so unexpected like that. It's great that you have your family and friends to support you, and it's good you got a lot of great travel time in with the motor home. Sounds like a wonderful trip to Alaska. Beautiful country. Come here and talk to us any time. There are friendly folks here.

(I'm re-posting this in your Introduction thread so more members will see it. Hope that's ok.)

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.