Page 190 of 190 FirstFirst ... 90140180188189190
Results 2,836 to 2,846 of 2846

Never thought retirement would be like this

Quote Originally Posted by Meanderer View Post
    Nancy, do you have a dehumidifier on your furnace, that would produce water? (most have a 1/4 inch water line going to the humidifier, for Summer use)
    Be careful what you ask. I *could* write pages about troubleshooting that furnace. Good thing is, it rarely gets cold enough for the problem to occur.

I have a heat pump for AC, and natural gas for heat.

All I know is...there's a PVC pipe coming out of the furnace close to where the gas is burned. It goes down to a little pump. This pump comes on occasionally and pumps water out through the little tube and dumps it outside.

There is also a big thick plastic tube coming out from another place which goes into the same pump when the AC is on. Pump comes on and does its thing in the summer too.

Quote Originally Posted by Meanderer View Post
    ... I have never heard of a gas furnace having that problem.
    Neither has anyone who works for the company that installed it, or so they claim. I should probably call a different place, but again it happens so rarely...
    Last edited by NancyNGA; 01-19-2018 at 02:13 PM.

What the heck, might as well stick in a picture. It even shows the space heater that "fixes" the problem.

furnace1.jpg

Nancy, I'm clueless because I've only ever heard of a drain line for the a/c, not a gas furnace. However I'd like to recommend that you check out an HVAC forum. A few years back when we needed to have our system replaced, I joined a forum and got excellent input/advice from professional HVAC service guys. Just puttin' it out there.

Now I am gonna have to go down to the basement and check ours out! I do know the clear tubing going into the pump is from your A/c unit. That pulls the moisture out of your house when the A/C is running. Where does it pump out to? But I cannot imagine why the pvc pipe would be in the pump. And I do see the tubing coming out from the furnace side. Heat from your furnace causes dry heat and no moisture. Is that pvc pipe capped off at the bottom (the end that is inside the red tray)? Seems like something is being over loaded when the temps get too cold. Looks like a fairly new unit and the area around it is nice and clean. Do you change your filters every 30 days? Lord, I'm sounding like a HVAC Tech.....I am going to shut up now! LOL But this has stirred my interest and I am going to do some research! Can't have too much knowledge!
    The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain...​Dolly Parton

I found alot of information. You have a high energy efficient unit that does not vent through a flue in your house (we have a flue on our roof where you can see the smoke/steam venting out when the unit is working). Check these articles out....you might have a clogged condensation pipe.
    https://www.ragsdaleair.com/blog/why...aking-water-4/
    https://www.doityourself.com/forum/g...s-furnace.html
    The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain...​Dolly Parton

Maggiemae your second link sounds like it might fit. I'll have to reread it a few times to sink in. Still haven't found out what the symptoms are with air, or water, in the gas line. Gas comes from city lines.

Yes, it is a high energy efficient furnace. Plus...and here's the bad part....it has all kinds of safety devices. Translation: Trouble. They shut everything down at the slightest irregularity.

You really don't want to get me started discussing this furnace. When this first happened, I was troubleshooting it for weeks. I could write pages. A real snoozer.

Two more clues: 1) if the front door is off the furnace, the temperature can go lower, before it shuts down. 2) If I keep the heat up all night, it doesn't happen. It's when I turn the thermostat down for the night and it sits for a while not running, while the temp in the house lowers. Doesn't come back on.

Still think it might be inadequate venting. I did some calculations and pipe is on the borderline of being too narrow, and minimal up slope.

See, I'm already getting carried away. Stop me now!!!

BTW, it is NOT a bad pressure switch. That's what the little lights indicate, and that was replaced with no effect.

Here's the bad part. I wouldn't get to test anything out until temps fall below ~16 again. May not happen until next winter. Didn't happen at all last winter.

Since, we are nearing the end of winter (fingers crossed), having it looked at would be at the bottom of my priority list. But after this discussion, I did learn that all furnaces are not created equal! LOL I just assumed they all vented out through a flue but I was certainly wrong. I learned something new and I will put that in my memory bank for now (if the memory holds out that long)! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by maggiemae View Post
    ...I just assumed they all vented out through a flue but I was certainly wrong. ....
    Oh, but mine *is* vented out through a flue. That's what I'm calling a vent pipe. Except my pipe goes sideways across the basement ceiling and out the wall, instead of straight up. That's why I keep saying it's important to get enough up slope on the pipe. Maybe I'm not using the right terminology.

By the way, water, in the form of vapor, comes out that pipe also. How about that for confusing!? LOL!

High of 71 F here today.

Things I've learned so far:

1. First big Georgia footabll game is at SC on September 8th. I'm ready.

2. Even though the days keep getting shorter until Dec 21st, the sunset here gets later in the day starting on December 1st---4 minutes later by the 21st. So next year I will celebrate Dec 1st, instead of the 21st. I rarely see a sunrise.

3. I have long fingernail beds! No matter how short I file my nails, they still hit the guitar strings first. I would have to build up huge calluses to pass the nails, or train fingernails to be shorter by over-trimming them. Ouch! Not looking good. I may have to wear PVC fingertips forever.

Edited to add...

Forgot to update the property next door. Last week after the rain the back yard was a mess. Saturday (1/21) the new owner smoothed everything out with his tractor, and took out the dogwood tree. Looks like he's just preparing to plant grass, no new buildings, at least not soon. Looking good.

phjan2018.jpg
    PH12118.jpg
    Last edited by NancyNGA; Yesterday at 10:39 PM.

Yes, looks like they are getting ready for grass/sod. Wish he would have kept the Dogwood tree. They are one of my favorites in the Spring!

How much is that dogwood in the window?
    Jim

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.