Page 205 of 205 FirstFirst ... 105155195203204205
Results 3,061 to 3,072 of 3072

Never thought retirement would be like this

Jim

Meanderer... Tippy's was a tiny little place, smaller than a Waffle House, on the outskirts of town at that time, I don't even remember where, 'cause I never drove, just rode along with the crowd. Maybe the one in This Notice that closed in 2005. No picture.

Most any part of Raleigh that USED TO BE on the outskirts of town looks completely foreign to me now. LOL

Maggiemae, did you put your grass seed out? Is the seed still there? That was one heck of a rain---all day long. One picture of a dogwood tree and red clay mud at the farm yesterday after it quit.

dogwoodb4152018.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by NancyNGA View Post
    Meanderer... Tippy's was a tiny little place, smaller than a Waffle House, on the outskirts of town at that time, I don't even remember where, 'cause I never drove, just rode along with the crowd. Maybe the one in This Notice that closed in 2005. No picture.

Most any part of Raleigh that USED TO BE on the outskirts of town looks completely foreign to me now. LOL
    Yeah. I found the article that they closed in 2005.
    Jim

The tractor is now parked right behind the fence next door. Is that what the L-shape of the fence was designed for? I think he is going to build something back there, maybe a shed for his equipment? That would be good! Maybe he has bought one of those old abandoned 1950's diners and is going to move it back there. It should be an interesting summer because something is definitely going to happen back there.

tractorP.jpg

I can just see it!
    tractorP.jpg
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Meanderer View Post
    I can just see it!
    tractorP.jpg
    Ha! Ha! Ha! Doesn't scare me. If that were to happen, I would probably be a regular customer. Hope it's open 24 hours, no WiFi.

Maybe they are going to put a diner for the college kids to go eat? This is a real interesting situation. Yes, got the seed and wheat straw out before the big rain on Sunday. Remember me telling you about the upstairs shower leaking several months ago? Had the old plumber come out and he caulked around the shower drain and it still leaked. So I cut out a section in the kitchen downstairs to take a look. I went up there and put silicone caulk around the drain and it is still leaking when you use the shower. But I noticed tonight that it is leaking when the shower is not in use. Must be in the hot or cold line. It is one of those prefab showers that they put in new construction back 33 years ago. I am not calling the old plumber...he needs to retire...seems to put a "band aid" fix on everything. I hate anything dealing with plumbing....too many options! With electrical, you pretty much know where the source of the problem is.
    The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain...​Dolly Parton

Quote Originally Posted by maggiemae View Post
    ... Remember me telling you about the upstairs shower leaking several months ago? Had the old plumber come out and he caulked around the shower drain and it still leaked. So I cut out a section in the kitchen downstairs to take a look. I went up there and put silicone caulk around the drain and it is still leaking when you use the shower. But I noticed tonight that it is leaking when the shower is not in use. Must be in the hot or cold line. It is one of those prefab showers that they put in new construction back 33 years ago. I am not calling the old plumber...he needs to retire...seems to put a "band aid" fix on everything. I hate anything dealing with plumbing....too many options! With electrical, you pretty much know where the source of the problem is.
    Oh no! Not that again! Sorry to hear that. Hope you don't have to get behind the shower.

There seems to be only two types of repair services. One are the individuals, who always assume you want everything done as cheaply as possible, and the other is the big outfits, that just want to tear everything out and start over from scratch. I think the solution may be to offer to pay them (the individuals) by the hour.

I hate plumbing too. Especially replacing faucets. They always leak on the first trial. I also have one of those prefab showers that came in two pieces. They had to haul it up with a rope and pull it in through a window upstairs to install it, way back in 1986. A group of onlookers gathered in the road out front to watch it go up. I've had no trouble with it so far but I'm expecting it any day.

The only unusual thing today, found inside the garage right near the door. Brought it outside. Obviously playing possum and I didn't try to pry it open.

BLworm4182018.jpg

I've never seen a completely black wooly worm before. Turns out it's the caterpillar of a Giant Leopard Moth (Hypercompe scribonia). Very common, but I don't think I've ever seen the moth version before either.

leopardmoth1.jpg

Size perspective (not all that giant)

giant-leopard-moth-caterpillar.jpg

My mother used to talk about the orange banded black wooly worms, and how you could predict the weather from them by the width of the orange band. I never bought it. I don't think she did either.

I'm an xnomad who lived in a housetruck with hubby ,2 kids, a dog,and a cat for 15 years. Now I am ashamed to say I am a suburban housewife who is painting her house yellow with white trim and a blue door, and have a white picket fence and drive a beige Volvo and a dog and a cat and wonderful kids and and if I complain about anything , please , somebody poke me in the eye with a sharp stick.

Hi ancient mariner. Welcome to the forum. I have a yellow house with white trim.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.