Page 208 of 214 FirstFirst ... 108158198206207208209210 ... LastLast
Results 3,106 to 3,120 of 3207

Never thought retirement would be like this

Took the whole day off. All I did was fill up a hole that the carpenter bees are making on the front porch. Pile of sawdust on the floor. It was a good day.

The neighbor poured a huge slab of concrete for a parking lot and driveway between his two houses. I didn't even hear it happening.

Still going for a quick walk. Later, tonight. It's still like a ghost town here. Regular session summer school hasn't started yet. Now until August 1st is the best time to live here.

Had the appointment with the Ear, Nose & Throat guy this afternoon. He stuck a camera up my nose---nothing unusual. Cameras go everywhere now. Started antibiotics for 21 DAYS () and steroids (Prednisone) for 9 days. Then another head scan. He essentially said if it's not an infection he probably can't ever figure out what's wrong without doing surgery (which ain't gonna happen!), and will just tell the dentist to go ahead, unless I really want to know. Nope. Whatever it is, it doesn't hurt.

The good news is they did a hearing test. I've been wanting to do that anyway. The bad news...I have tinnitus, but I knew that already, for years. It's the hissing sound kind. I've always been able to completely ignore it. But right now the hissing is louder and interferes with high frequency sounds (like children's voices). He said if that's all that's wrong, it's the easiest kind of hearing problem to correct for.

As usual, something that affects a huge number of people (up to 46 million have tinnitus)... they don't have a clue what causes it. No walking tonight. Bad weather.

Got that out of the way, for now. This is where I am right now. Just got a pm from an old friend! Tomorrow is another day.

WOW, I would just go with the antibiotics and steroids! No surgery! I would take my chances and let the dentist do what he needed to do! Unless you are in pain.....let it go! I wear hard contacts (have been for years) and they are starting to get really dry because I tend to read alot and the pollen does not help. Lord, I hope I have not developed cataracts! So many of my friends have had the surgery with good and not so good results. There is just something I hate about messing with your eyes! When did I get this old? LOL

Yeah, I'm not going to do anything but take these meds. I hate even doing that. Too long on antibiotics. I don't get that. They are making a big fuss out of nothing. I don't know why the dental surgeon didn't just give me the meds. Probably some liability issues he's afraid of. Just wasted Medicare money, that could have gone for better things.

The actual cataract surgery is really, really easy, at least it was for me. Don't be afraid of it. The choice of lenses afterward might be causing problems with some of your friends. I didn't go with the fancy lenses that are supposed to adjust to near and far vision. They haven't got all the kinks worked out of them yet, imo. Works for some, not for others. Am I correct that you said one of your eyes focuses on close vision and the other one on distance vision? That is a really good option after cataract surgery too. You have proven you can adjust that way. Some can't. I was afraid to try it, but it would have been a better choice if I could adjust like you.

I think I'm in Florida, but I'm not sure any more......my GPS blew away.
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyNGA View Post
    Yeah, I'm not going to do anything but take these meds. I hate even doing that. Too long on antibiotics. I don't get that. They are making a big fuss out of nothing. I don't know why the dental surgeon didn't just give me the meds. Probably some liability issues he's afraid of. Just wasted Medicare money, that could have gone for better things.

The actual cataract surgery is really, really easy, at least it was for me. Don't be afraid of it. The choice of lenses afterward might be causing problems with some of your friends. I didn't go with the fancy lenses that are supposed to adjust to near and far vision. They haven't got all the kinks worked out of them yet, imo. Works for some, not for others. Am I correct that you said one of your eyes focuses on close vision and the other one on distance vision? That is a really good option after cataract surgery too. You have proven you can adjust that way. Some can't. I was afraid to try it, but it would have been a better choice if I could adjust like you.
    I did, unfortunately, go with the "fancy" lenses (and the fancy price) and have regretted it since. I hate them. If time travel is ever invented, I'm going back and getting the regular cataract lenses.
    If we're ever in a situation where I am "the voice of reason", then we are in a very, very bad situation.

Quote Originally Posted by jujube View Post
    I did, unfortunately, go with the "fancy" lenses (and the fancy price) and have regretted it since. I hate them. If time travel is ever invented, I'm going back and getting the regular cataract lenses.
    I'm sorry to hear that, jujube. What kinds of problems are you experiencing? I joined a forum about cataract surgery before I had mine done. It got so confusing with so much information, and so many different recommendations, I finally just went with the simplest option possible. I always kind of regretted not trying the multifocal lenses.

Of course folks who have problems are more likely to report their experiences, so you got a slightly slanted viewpoint. A few had their lenses replaced. Some are easier to remove than others. I think the Restor lens was the easiest to replace, and the Crystalens was the most difficult. Maybe that is an option?

When I had my cataract surgery about twenty years ago I was not offered any options. Surgery so fast and easy, results amazing. Had to redo one eye. Not a problem. Resolved life long astigmatism. About 5 years ago I started needing otc readers.

Quote Originally Posted by ndynt View Post
    When I had my cataract surgery about twenty years ago I was not offered any options. Surgery so fast and easy, results amazing. Had to redo one eye. Not a problem. Resolved life long astigmatism. About 5 years ago I started needing otc readers.
    Welcome back, I have missed you. ❤️
    Love is a verb.

I have a friend who just had cataract surgery on both eyes recently and he now has 90% improved vision.
    Also I was told by my eye doctor that I can’t wear lenses because of cataracts. Now they have lenses for that?
    Maybe I could get those spooky coloured lenses and have super green cat eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Keesha View Post
    I have a friend who just had cataract surgery on both eyes recently and he now has 90% improved vision.
    Also I was told by my eye doctor that I can’t wear lenses because of cataracts. Now they have lenses for that?
    Maybe I could get those spooky coloured lenses and have super green cat eyes.
    Keesha, I should have been clearer. The cataract lenses we are talking about, are lenses *inside* your eye. They are called intraocular lenses, IOLs, not like contact lenses on the surface. By the way, they are shaded slightly blue I think. Supposed to filter out UV rays better, but you can't see the color. They do make your eyes twinkle inside sometimes if the light hits them just right. lol

Quote Originally Posted by ndynt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalimar View Post
    Welcome back, I have missed you. ❤️
    Yes! Me too! Welcome back, Nona.

The last time I took my Wife for her hair appointment, I saw a guitar in the window of the music store, next door. It was an acoustic, and was black. It was only $179, and I wanted it. She has played guitar for years and offered to teach me. So we got it a week ago, and I am excited to see where this will lead.
    IMG_3187.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Meanderer View Post
    The last time I took my Wife for her hair appointment, I saw a guitar in the window of the music store, next door. It was an acoustic, and was black. It was only $179, and I wanted it. She has played guitar for years and offered to teach me. So we got it a week ago, and I am excited to see where this will lead.
    Meanderer, that *is* exciting! It would be so much more fun with someone to play along with you. Please keep us posted on how it goes!

long_roller_coaster.gif

Not to seem emotional over something as simple as a V-belt, but this is getting a bit silly.

Phone call never got past listening to pretty music, so I started a somewhat lengthy return process on their website. They refunded the $6.48+shipping for the V-belt, and sent me a mailing label to return the other part. Warning: LABEL ONLY PRINTS ONCE! Guess when my printer decided to go blurry! So I put the file on a USB stick, got the package ready to take to the P.O. hoping the P.O. would accept the file. Took off for the farm today and forgot the package. Got back home to this email:

emailreplacementparts.jpg

So, now I have a $53 Honda Blade Holder Kit, for free? Is that the way you would interpret it? I think I'll give one try at returning it anyway, just for punishment. It ain't over yet, cause I still got to get a belt!

Meanwhile it rained today and the grass is growing...fast.

Gosh, we have had rain off and on for three days now! And the grass is loving it! UGH Been busy with the grandson's Award's Day at school this week and field trip. The little one (granddaughter) has her Awards Day this Tuesday from kindergarten. So basically, I did not get anything done around here this week! Life is good but complicated at times! Is there a "normal" in retirement?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.