2024.....it can only get better.

2024 will be as as 2024 not 2023 because that is in the past. 2024 will be like 2024

I just got back from spending the day with my Mom. I'm pretty tired...and bummed out.

To me, my Mom is forever young, active, and on top of things!

Next week she will be 92 years old....and it's sad to see how things have changed.

She is still young at heart, and very active...always heading out somewhere with friends, etc. Always ready for a good time!

Her mind is not what it used to be though, and that is to be expected, but...it's getting bad, and it's so hard to watch.
emoticon

I guess I'm bummed out more than usual today, because we didn't have time to go out and just have fun, like we usually do.

By the time I finished paying her bills and a bunch of other essential misc things....the day was mostly gone. Everything took longer than usual because she just didn't understand things like she used to.

I took a lot of extra breaks while getting things done, just to talk to her and give her hugs.

I just got back from spending the day with my Mom. I'm pretty tired...and bummed out.

To me, my Mom is forever young, active, and on top of things!

Next week she will be 92 years old....and it's sad to see how things have changed.

She is still young at heart, and very active...always heading out somewhere with friends, etc. Always ready for a good time!

Her mind is not what it used to be though, and that is to be expected, but...it's getting bad, and it's so hard to watch.
emoticon

I guess I'm bummed out more than usual today, because we didn't have time to go out and just have fun, like we usually do.

By the time I finished paying her bills and a bunch of other essential misc things....the day was mostly gone. Everything took longer than usual because she just didn't understand things like she used to.

I took a lot of extra breaks while getting things done, just to talk to her and give her hugs.
You're a good daughter.

Thank you. I admit that I usually lose my patience with her, simply because I'm in denial about her aging.

Today, I could tell that she was aggravated at herself for forgetting things. I just took my time, and reassured her that everything was ok....
I understand about being in denial about a parent's aging Trila. I realized after my mother went into a nursing home that I had been in denial about her dementia. Also I wasn't educated enough about the symptoms at the time. It is very, very hard to watch our mothers age. I can already tell, it will be difficult for my son if I start failing. I have no doubt that you are a good daughter.

I understand about being in denial about a parent's aging Trila. I realized after my mother went into a nursing home that I had been in denial about her dementia. Also I wasn't educated enough about the symptoms at the time. It is very, very hard to watch our mothers age. I can already tell, it will be difficult for my son if I start failing. I have no doubt that you are a good daughter.
I know that my Mom has dementia. I brought it to the attention of her doctor years ago, when I first noticed that she wasn't acting right.

In short, he tried to get her to take a Mental Status Evaluation but she refused. The doctor said that, basically, she knows that there is a problem and she wants to hide it. As long as she is making decisions for herself, there is nothing that he (or I) can do...until she becomes a danger to herself or others. Well, I'm thinking that by that time, it's too late!!!

She actually does well, though. She lives by herself, in an isolated area with no neighbors near by. She does her own cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc. She even drives!

Over the years, I've gotten used to her being able to take care of herself. I think that's why it's hard for me to admit she is not in touch with the real world anymore. The worst part is that she'll hear something on TV, and turn it into some potential disaster for her.

EXAMPLE: Last winter, we had some really cold temps, and she heard on the news that you should start your car to keep the battery good. She turned this info around in her head until she was terrified to start her car.....so thought it would blow up. She wanted me to come over to start it for her (I had COVID, and could hardly function on my own). I did my best to reassure her that it was ok for her to start the car and it would not blow up. She fretted for 3 days, before she finally forced herself to do it.

She called me and said that she felt silly, because the car started right up. We laughed a bit, and I did my best to not make a big deal out of it. That is just one example...it goes on and on.

Yesterday, I dragged her to see my Orthopidic Surgeon, because her knees hurt her so much. Ok, well, no one wants to go to the doctor, especially a new one. I kept telling her that this was a really good doctor....he won't do anything that she doesn't want done. He will check her knees, give her options (I was hoping she only needed stots), and let her decide what she wanted to do.

Long story, short version: She loved him from the moment he walked into the room!!! I knew she would, but she doesn't ever believe me!!!
emoticon

She liked him even more when he checked her out and told her that her knees were in better shape than his were! The reason why they hurt is because she is in the beginning stages of arthritis. He recommended that there is nothing that needs to be done at this time....she was thrilled!!

He did tell her that he is worried about her balance because (he said) "you must NOT fall!!. He wants her to have a handrail installed by her stairs (....that's something else that I've been telling her for a few years!), and to start using a cane. Needless to say, she was very happy with the outcome of her appointment.

So, it was a good day...but it's still emotionally stressful! I hate it see her like this. (sigh)

Well, I'm just back from town. I went to get my permanent bridge today (again). Guess what...it was made wrong again!!!! This whole process started last Dec 18th, and today was the third time that I was supposed to get my bridge, only to find out that there was something wrong with it!

This time, there was a hole in it, at one of the chewing surfaces.

I think I took the news well. I did my best to stay calm and understanding. My Dentist, however, didn't do as well as I did.....he was FURIOUS!!!! He stormed out of the room to call "the idiots" who made it, and chew them out! I told him that if he runs out of "colorful adjectives", to let me know....I have a few that I can add.

So this is me, still with a temporary bridge.

Like I said before, "Ya' really can't make this sh*t up!!!!
emoticon

emoticon
Dio went to the doctor this morning to see how well those treatments worked. Guess what!!! He got a (mostly) good report!!

So he is completely done with one type of torture treatments!!
emoticon

He doesn't need another check up for 6 months!!
emoticon

Back