Celebrating Black History Month 2024

@OneEyedDiva That is interesting information. Thank you so much for sharing. I hope you get the chance to see the film soon.
On another note, we used to move quite a bit. Each time we moved, I took an interest in the local history.
When we moved here in Central Florida, I started to read a lot about Native Americans in the region as well as Black History.
One book particularly stays in my mind is:
The Pulitzer Prizes

@OneEyedDiva That is interesting information. Thank you so much for sharing. I hope you get the chance to see the film soon.
On another note, we used to move quite a bit. Each time we moved, I took an interest in the local history.
When we moved here in Central Florida, I started to read a lot about Native Americans in the region as well as Black History.
One book particularly stays in my mind is:
The Pulitzer Prizes
You're welcome, of course. I admire you for seeking to learn everything you can about NA and Black history. the Pulitzer Prizes looks interesting.

Honoring Ann Lowe, dressmaker (famous for Jackie Kennedy Wedding Dress)
Ann Lowe: American Couturier - Winterthur Museum, Garden & Library
Ann Lowe Retrospective Opens at the Winterthur Museum

A grand show for Ann Lowe
A grand show for Ann Lowe | The Latest from WDEL News | wdel.com
Preview 'Ann Lowe: American Couturier' exhibition at the Winterthur
Sewing for joy: Ann Lowe | National Museum of American History

Ann Lowe Bio - YouTube

Sometime in 2020, the navy named an aircraft a new aircraft carrier after a Black sailor, Doris Miller. Read more about this navy hero in the linked article below.
0mnayxAX_0IJVu-9WDnUQkuzXqYpkATsODe1b1_Z3tYlN77tMiLkU-GCLMqytp7YhnK3sUrVpq3SJ1qxLl_vMP4l895K_VKoyks3jcYX_-5dkX7WUXUIVa3b2fdQA4kYN8XQpWkwgcpBG1A2zM9DlYQ

Honoring Ann Lowe, dressmaker (famous for Jackie Kennedy Wedding Dress)
View attachment 332002
Ann Lowe Retrospective Opens at the Winterthur Museum

A grand show for Ann Lowe
A grand show for Ann Lowe | The Latest from WDEL News | wdel.com
Preview 'Ann Lowe: American Couturier' exhibition at the Winterthur'Ann Lowe: American Couturier' exhibition at the Winterthur
Sewing for joy: Ann Lowe | National Museum of American History

Ann Lowe Bio - YouTube
Excellentt post Patty! I had heard of her before but didn't know the scope of her work and had never seen a picture of her.

@Remy I'm glad you found the article interesting enough to bookmark. You are right...so much of the music throughout the years has been influenced by music created by my people. Influences have come from Gospel, Blues, Jazz and even Afro-Cuban music that has evolved and continues to evolve into what we listen to. Many Pop artists admit their influences have been Black musicians.

Looking at Nat Turner's Legacy​

From my research...

Nat Turner's Rebellion, also known as the Southampton Insurrection, occurred in August 1831 in Southampton County, Virginia. Led by Nat Turner, the rebels killed between 55 and 65 white people, making it the deadliest slave revolt in U.S. history. The rebellion was effectively suppressed within a few days, but Turner managed to hide for over 30 days before being captured. In retaliation, as many as 120 enslaved individuals and free African Americans were killed by militias and mobs. The aftermath led to the execution of 56 enslaved individuals accused of participating in the rebellion, including Turner himself.

Nat Turner's Rebellion had a significant impact on the abolitionist movement. The rebellion, which was the deadliest slave revolt in U.S. history, led to heightened tensions and fears among white enslavers in nearby states like Virginia and North Carolina. This fear extended beyond Southampton County, resulting in extralegal and legal retribution against Black individuals suspected of being involved in the plot.

The aftermath of the rebellion prompted approximately 2,000 Virginians to petition their legislature to address the issue of slavery. Although a proposal for gradual emancipation failed by a narrow margin, it was the last time Virginia considered such a measure until after the Civil War. The rebellion also influenced legislation that aimed to further suppress Black religion and limit the rights of free Black individuals, reinforcing proslavery sentiments and antiabolitionist convictions in the region until the Civil War.

Despite attempts to crush his legacy after his execution, Nat Turner's story is experiencing a resurgence, with monuments and discussions honoring his fight for freedom and challenging the historical narrative around slavery. The 2016 film "The Birth of a Nation," which portrays Turner as a patriot fighting for freedom. This renewed interest in Turner's story has sparked important conversations about the complex legacy of slavery in the United States and the ongoing struggle for racial justice.

As a result, people are increasingly recognizing Nat Turner's rebellion as a significant historical event that sheds light on the resistance and resilience of enslaved African Americans. The continued examination of Turner's story serves as a reminder of the atrocities of slavery and the importance of remembering and learning from our nation's past.

My last Black History Month posts (in separate replies) are of creative people who made a difference by bringing beauty and laughter into our lives. And a list of notable African Americans who helped change the world.

Keenan Ivory Wayans was responsible for jump starting the careers of his siblings, Marlon, Sean and Damon Wayans, actors Jim Carey, Jamie Foxx and David Alan Grier and Jennifer Lopez, who was one of the Fly Girls (dancers) on In Living Color, his sketch comedy show that premiered in 1990.

Keenan who was the creator, producer and director for the show, had roles in several movies and TV shows. He also wrote and directed films and was named one of the Top 100 Influential Black People (I forgot the year but I saw the physical magazine). Keenen Ivory Wayans - Wikipedia

Keenen_Ivory_Wayans_(33906703098)_(cropped).jpg

Alvin Ailey a choreographer and dancer founded The Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater in New York City. When first founded, it featured 7 dancers. Now there are 32. The troupe performs modern dance and ballet. I was blessed to be able to see them decades ago when the great Judith Jamison, performed with them. Ms. Jamison who was selected by Alvin Ailey to succeed him as artistic director, did so after he passed.
Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater - Wikipedia
Alvin Ailey and Judith Jamison
Alvin+Ailey+and+Judith+Jamison.+Photo+by+Jack+Mitchell.+(©)+Alvin+Ailey+Dance+Foundation,+Inc....jpg

95ad6b625fc4780ea24f1c963530ec41.jpg

square-xsml-alvinailey-800.jpg

Last edited:
My last Black History Month posts (in separate replies) are of creative people who made a difference by bringing beauty and laughter into our lives. And a list of notable African Americans who helped change the world.

Keenan Ivory Wayans was responsible for jump starting the careers of his siblings, Marlon, Sean and Damon Wayans, actors Jim Carey, Jamie Foxx and David Alan Grier and Jennifer Lopez, who was one of the Fly Girls (dancers) on In Living Color, his sketch comedy show that premiered in 1990.

Keenan who was the creator, producer and director for the show, had roles in several movies and TV shows. He also wrote and directed films and was named one of the Top 100 Influential Black People (I forgot the year but I saw the physical magazine). Keenen Ivory Wayans - Wikipedia

View attachment 332783
I was a big fan of Living Color. Talented family and the show was funny!
Never liked 'White Chicks' too much though.
I did enjoy 'My Wife and Kids' with Damon.

I was a big fan of Living Color. Talented family and the show was funny!
Never liked 'White Chicks' too much though.
I did enjoy 'My Wife and Kids' with Damon.
When ILC first came on, I didn't think it would be well received. Boy was I wrong. The Wayans are definitely a talented family. A good friend of mine worked in Hollywood for a while and was in the presence of Damon Wayans. She said he's a nice person. I was glad to hear that.

I've watched Damon in movies, My Wife and Kids and I loved the series Lethal Weapon. Still I think that Marlon is my favorite Wayans.

Diva, a day late again, but, here's some more of my brothers from another mother in Cambodia. Worst thing is one has no idea if everyone made it home. I can only hope.

View attachment 332975
Great picture and sentiment SD! I sure hope they all made it home safely and are now living good lives. Thank you so much for sharing these photos with us. Don't worry about the timing. I didn't post for a couple of days, so even though BHM is over, I will still post a least a couple more things.

Back