Did anyone here do martial arts?

Rose65

My sister did, though I never did. I liked aerobics.
I used to go and watch as she learned karate sometimes. She was a small teenager, really slim and tiny. It was fascinating watching as she got so skilled and confident . The family used to go to the competitions and feel so proud as she moved up the belts, reaching black belt status. We wondered how she could throw big men around fearlessly and then bow to each other and the teacher. We felt in awe of the great discipline. The teacher was so in charge and skilled.

Do people do this these days? It seems back in time people had solid interests, especially in keeping fit.

I have a brown belt in Tae kwon do that I picked up in the 1990’s. I was one of the older students in class even back then, but it was always something that I wanted to do. In joining, I signed a disclaimer form agreeing not to hold the instructor or school responsible if you suffered an injury. I did suffer a foot injury which left me barely able to walk for a time. Another guy had his ribs caved in when someone failed to pull a kick.

Time and aging has eroded my skills, but I might still have a few surprises left in a crisis situation…. 🥋

I practiced Tai Chi for about 6 months. It was the basic sunrise and evening exercises. I think Tai Chi has the least amount of contact maneuvers if I am not mistaken. It is a practice of going with the flow of the moment. It redirects a persons aggression towards you away from harm and meant to to disarm the attack.

Yep I learned Judo at school.... I was only 12 or 13.. and only got to the 3rd belt which is Ornage, because up until then classes had been free, but my parents wouldn't pay for any more.

OTOH, I sent my DD to self defence classes at age15.. she learned Judo first.. then Bu Jitsu... then Kick Boxing of which she became a Champion, and an international Judge... ..My Daughters' partner is a Mixed Martial Arts ( MMA)Champion

Last edited:
Yes for many years until my body gave way. I have a 4th Degree Black Belt in Philipino Martial Arts. I also did Thai Boxing and had a couple of fights. Got involved in the early days of MMA and was one of the first to bring the Brazillians to the UK to teach.

I still practice Tai-Chi but for me that falls into WAS a martial art in the form I practice.

I did until in my early 80's. Had to stop because of a painful hip injury that just would not stop hurting (even today) I started in the nineties after surgery for lung cancer.(thought it would help me heal and be healthier - it did!). It took me a while to find a school that fit - did - then it closed. I finally found one close to home , stayed 7+ years and made it to 1st degree Black belt. That one closed and it took me a while to find another, but I made it up to 3rd degree Black Belt. Was working on 4th degree when I injured myself. Still love it - miss it!
I do TaiChi now somewhat intermittently :)

Back