Dorset, my county, my home.

Absolutely beautiful HC! Thank you for sharing.
Thank you for the compliment, I am pleased that you have enjoyed seeing where I live. Just a bye-the-way. Our home is a converted bungalow, originally a single story two bedroomed property. The previous owner was a football player, the soccer type of football, he was a professional player, playing for Southampton. The reason for telling you that is because with his kind of income he had an architect draw up a project, the bungalow became a five bedroom house with two of the bedrooms having an en-suite bathroom and the master bathroom is more of a small swimming pool.

We have lived here for just over twenty-five years, now old age has made it hard work and that's despite having a weekly gardener and a lovely ironing fairy. I don't show it on the internet simply because of security. But now we have decided to sell up and buy a more manageable bungalow, before we do that we are preparing the place for sale. We intend to stay within the area, it's almost twenty-six years since our last move. From memory house move is just one down from a drilling and filling at the dentist. I will keep you updated.

Thank you for the compliment, I am pleased that you have enjoyed seeing where I live. Just a bye-the-way. Our home is a converted bungalow, originally a single story two bedroomed property. The previous owner was a football player, the soccer type of football, he was a professional player, playing for Southampton. The reason for telling you that is because with his kind of income he had an architect draw up a project, the bungalow became a five bedroom house with two of the bedrooms having an en-suite bathroom and the master bathroom is more of a small swimming pool.

We have lived here for just over twenty-five years, now old age has made it hard work and that's despite having a weekly gardener and a lovely ironing fairy. I don't show it on the internet simply because of security. But now we have decided to sell up and buy a more manageable bungalow, before we do that we are preparing the place for sale. We intend to stay within the area, it's almost twenty-six years since our last move. From memory house move is just one down from a drilling and filling at the dentist. I will keep you updated.
Don't forget to pack Mrs HC's sewing cabin or, will she have a new space to enjoy? :)

She really wanted the carpenter to dismantle it to take to the new address. Thankfully he explained that he can build a new one for far less, and we can use the existing cabin as an additional sales feature.
That's a good idea. Having had the first cabin, Mrs HC will know what she wants with the second one. I think I would be more excited about the new cabin than the house! Happy househunting :)

camera 5 122.JPGcamera 5 133.JPG
How right you are. The carpenter readily admits that he is no artist but he does have a good program on his laptop that can translate the customers ideas into the sort of cabin/studio they are looking for.
Log-cabins.jpg

The first two photos are her existing cabin, the last one is what she could have at the new address.
I think that she is warming to the idea.

Thank you for the description. It sounds like a lovely home I'd see on the million dollar home buying shows! I don't envy what you'll be going through preparing to move. I've lived in our modest apartment for going on 56 years and I'd hate to have to pack up and move at this point. But once you make the move, it will be better for you and your wife. I hope you will be able to stay in that lovely area. I'll be looking forward to the updates. :)

Thank you Diva, I will indeed keep you updated.

Now come with me to the west side of Dorset, there is much to see and for famous (or infamous,) meet the character who has no need of, ahem, chemical assistance.
Cerne Abbas
33930634-0-image-a-2_1601709438248.jpg
You’d be forgiven for thinking that you don’t know what the small village of Cerne Abbas is famous for, but then you’ll see that instantly recognisable image of the nude man carved into the chalk hillside. The ancient and iconic Cerne Abbas Giant stands at an impressive 180 ft tall and is just a short walk from the village itself.
the-cerne-abbas-chalk-giant-dorset-1502232.jpg
The Cerne Abbas Giant is a hill figure near the village of Cerne Abbas, owned by the National Trust, and listed as a scheduled monument of England. Measuring 180 ft. in length, the hill figure depicts a bald, nude male with a prominent erection, holding his left hand out to the side and wielding a large club in his right hand. Like many other hill figures, the Cerne Giant is formed by shallow trenches cut into the turf and backfilled with chalk rubble. Check out Wikipedia: The Cerne Abbas Giant.
Aside from its hillside giant, Cerne Abbas is well worth your time to explore. The Benedictine Cerne Abbey is a wonderful sight to explore and the nearby Cerne Abbas Brewery means you won’t be short of great pubs serving freshly-brewed beers, as well as local ciders, wines and spirits.

Soak up the sun and hunt for fossils in "The Pearl of Dorset." And when the sun goes down how picturesque is Lyme Regis.
DJI_0547-3.jpg
Lyme Regis is a breathtaking seaside town, hugging the famous Jurassic Coast. With its bunting-lined streets, sweeping golden beach, calm turquoise sea, and, of course, its world-renowned Cobb, it’s easy to see why this is such a hotspot for holidaymakers. But, there’s more to this postcard-perfect town than just its beautiful beach.

Famous for it's abundance of prehistoric fossils, you can venture off on guided fossil hunting walks, run by the Lyme Regis Museum. Fans of the arts can find places offering Jane Austin walking tours and even Broadchurch tours, too. Plus, no trip to Lyme Regis would be complete without a visit to the traditional Marine Aquarium.

The suffix "Regis," is, Latin that translates: "of the king." Regis occurs in numerous English place names. The name usually recalls the historical ownership of lands or manors by the Crown. In other places it honours royal associations rather than ownership.

Weymouth:
istockphoto-1439157915-612x612.jpg
The picturesque coastal town of Weymouth has all the ingredients for a traditional British summer holiday. Its vibrant seafront is home to a sandy beach lined with multi-coloured beach huts and equally colourful houses. Talk about Instagrammable content!

If you’re looking for a fun-filled family holiday, this could be just the place for you. When you’re not building sandcastles, visit the impressive Sculpture Park and be wowed by the work of the experts? Take in the fabulous sights at the award-winning Nothe Fort, traverse the causeway to the Isle of Portland and soak up the atmosphere of the town’s bustling harbour. Do click on that Sculpture Park link, you will be blown away.

Sherborne.
sherborne.jpg
The charming market town of Sherborne is rich in history, with fascinating ancient landmarks to explore. Film and TV enthusiasts with a sharp eye may well recognise places such as Sherborne Abbey and Sherborne School from the likes of Far From The Madding Crowd and the 2014 blockbuster The Imitation Game, starring Benedict Cumberbatch.

Located on the banks of the River Yeo and packed with independent galleries, bookshops and eateries, Sherborne is a beautiful town to discover. A look inside the aforementioned abbey is a must, as is a visit to the Sherborne Castle & Gardens. Numerous events and festivals take place in the town throughout the year, so be sure to check what’s on before you go.

Being allowed just five photos I can't give you all the interesting sites of Sherborne so on my next post we will stay in this beautiful market town and I will show you around. Only having one space left for a photo on this post I chose a picture of the high altar at Sherborne Abbey. Magnificent, isn't it?

Last edited:
sherborne_castle.jpg
Originally a bishop’s palace, Sherborne Castle became the home of Sir Walter Raleigh, an English explorer and great favourite of Queen Elizabeth I. The castle was later a powerful Royalist base and saw fierce fighting during the Civil War. Oliver Cromwell set out to capture the castle, which he described as 'malicious and mischievous'. It fell in 1645 after a fierce eleven-day siege.

Today, the castle grounds are a haven for wildlife and birds, with picturesque views across the surrounding countryside. Keep an eye out for 'Lady Betty's Pinks' flowering during July and August, locally named after Sir Walter Ralegh's wife, Elizabeth.

licensed-image.jpg
Founded by St. Aldhelm in AD 705, Sherborne Abbey has developed from Saxon cathedral to the worshipping heart of a monastic community and, finally, to one England’s most beautiful parish churches. For many, it is still the ‘cathedral of Dorset’ and our Benedictine heritage lives on in the daily offering of prayer and praise.
download.jpglicensed-image (1).jpg
The covid lockdown had one advantage. Clear images of what is always a busy place.
Here's one of my favourite market traders, a hat stall.
gettyimages-590682685-2048x2048.jpg

My great grandfather was Sexton of the Church in Melplash, Dorset from 1865 to 1901. He is Mentioned in the Church Yearbook with the following entries:-
“2) Resignation of the Parish Clerk Mr Thomas George Rawls after 28 years of faithful service in that office. His father Henry Rawls preceded him as Parish Clerk of Melplash for 36 years:- thus father and son served in this office over a period of 64 years”

His son, my grandfather, became a dockyard policeman in Pembroke Dock, Wales and later in Portsmouth, Hampshire and I fondly remember my time as a youth playing in the creek across the road from their house at Alverstoke Creek, Gosport.

Your pictures of that part of England bring back so many memories of those places that I visited before I left and made my life here in Ontario, Canada.

Thank you for the pictorial reminders......

Your pictures of that part of England bring back so many memories of those places that I visited before I left and made my life here in Ontario, Canada.

Thank you for the pictorial reminders......
You are most welcome, so glad that you have enjoyed your reminisce. I will give Dorset a rest for a while. Perhaps later I might show you some of the communities nestled in the New Forest.

Back