FBI Cold Case Homicide Statistics

The chart makes sense. The bigger the state, the more problems and the smaller the state (population) vice versa.

I never liked working a case that would go cold. I would even work cold cases on my own time before I gave up on them. I had 2 cold cases when I retired and 1 of them has since been resolved.

The other case was 2 boys going fishing and walking on a set of railroad tracks came upon a nude young girl’s body off to the side of the tracks and called police from a neighbor’s phone. I answered the call from 911 at 7 in the morning just before I was ready to call it a day. I worked 12-8 that night.

I checked the young lady for a pulse, which there was none and called for the Coroner and roped off the crime scene, including calling the train operator and letting them know that they could not use the tracks until the Investigators had completed their job. This was in 1998, so we did have some DNA processing in place.

The only evidence we had were several cigarette butts that had to be identified and then contact as many people as we could to interview them. This amounted to nothing. Fast forward, it was settled by the killer bragging to his cell mate almost 3 years later. He was found guilty and sentenced to life w/o parole. I keep a check on my guys that I arrested just to see if they are still in prison or if they were able to get out on appeal. We are supposed to be notified when this happens, but they don’t always tell us. He’s still locked up.

Cold cases have always been one of the worse situations for the family’s of missing children, wives, husbands, etc. to have to endure. Not knowing what happened to your relative lives in a person’s mind forever.

I watched an episode of “Disappeared” on Discovery I.D. and a young lady about 17-20 went missing and never found. At the end of the show her dad made a comment that stuck in my mind. He said, “I’m her father, so I will be looking for her forever.” I thought to myself, “I can relate.” I am looking for a missing lady for several years now and I won’t give up until I am no longer able to walk. One thing is for certain. She didn’t just walk away.

MSN

Over 1,000 Children Went Missing in Cleveland This Year Alone. Here’s What Happened to Them​

Nationwide, about 1.5 million kids per year are reported missing after running away from home or being thrown out of the house​

this is something that should be addressed rather then what pronouns or bathrooms to use.

The chart makes sense. The bigger the state, the more problems and the smaller the state (population) vice versa.

I never liked working a case that would go cold. I would even work cold cases on my own time before I gave up on them. I had 2 cold cases when I retired and 1 of them has since been resolved.

The other case was 2 boys going fishing and walking on a set of railroad tracks came upon a nude young girl’s body off to the side of the tracks and called police from a neighbor’s phone. I answered the call from 911 at 7 in the morning just before I was ready to call it a day. I worked 12-8 that night.

I checked the young lady for a pulse, which there was none and called for the Coroner and roped off the crime scene, including calling the train operator and letting them know that they could not use the tracks until the Investigators had completed their job. This was in 1998, so we did have some DNA processing in place.

The only evidence we had were several cigarette butts that had to be identified and then contact as many people as we could to interview them. This amounted to nothing. Fast forward, it was settled by the killer bragging to his cell mate almost 3 years later. He was found guilty and sentenced to life w/o parole. I keep a check on my guys that I arrested just to see if they are still in prison or if they were able to get out on appeal. We are supposed to be notified when this happens, but they don’t always tell us. He’s still locked up.
I bet the defense tried very hard to dis-credit the cell mate at trial. The DA has to take the chance that ONE person on the jury will be dead set against accepting the testimony of a "criminal' despite the nature of the crime that is alleged to have been committed by the person on trial. That is all it takes to get a hung jury, one stubborn person. JImB.

Oh, yeah. The cell mate is always tried to be made out as a liar. Sometimes, they will ask the cell mate to wear a wire, but most reject that idea.

Oh, yeah. The cell mate is always tried to be made out as a liar. Sometimes, they will ask the cell mate to wear a wire, but most reject that idea.
On a tangent. Here in Canada in criminal courts those testifying are required to stand while doing so. AS a former PA State Police officer, can you tell me if you stood while testifying in court, or if you sat down on a chair ?

Second question. Is it common practice for Police in your state to be armed while in a courtroom ? Not done here in Ontario. Officers place their issue firearms in the court house gun lockers, prior to entering the court room, and the court security officers are not armed here. Jimb.

We are able to sit while testifying.

As for carrying a weapon. Pennsylvania uses Old English law. The Sheriff and his or her Deputies are employees of the court, so they are able to legally wear their weapons. Unless the judge objects, state police officers or any police officers may carry their department issued pistol while in their snap holster.

We are able to sit while testifying.

As for carrying a weapon. Pennsylvania uses Old English law. The Sheriff and his or her Deputies are employees of the court, so they are able to legally wear their weapons. Unless the judge objects, state police officers or any police officers may carry their department issued pistol while in their snap holster.
Thanks for the reply. In Ontario off duty Police are not normally armed unless they have asked for and been granted a Chief's Letter that allows them to do so. This is usually due to a direct and credible threat to the officer, and or their family. The permission to carry off duty is usually for a set period of time, such as 3 or 6 months. Canadian Police on vacation are not armed , either. JImB.

These types of reports may appear to be a waste of time preparing them, but the government uses them when they are handing out grants. I wish the government would allow more money to hire retired detectives to follow-up or investigate cold cases. Families that have had relatives killed and no one has been arrested or trued for it are due justice. It may not give closure, but it does help to them psychologically to know that the bad guy is paying the price.

These types of reports may appear to be a waste of time preparing them, but the government uses them when they are handing out grants. I wish the government would allow more money to hire retired detectives to follow-up or investigate cold cases. Families that have had relatives killed and no one has been arrested or trued for it are due justice. It may not give closure, but it does help to them psychologically to know that the bad guy is paying the price.
Toronto Police Service cold case unit website. link. Cold Cases- Toronto Police Service

The Ontario Provincial Police cold case unit success. link. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/website-helps-opp-solve-toronto-cold-case-1.618280

Funding for Police services in Ontario is a major part of the Provincial budget each year. JimB.

Back