My Friend Was A Ranger

He enlisted in the Army right after high school, instead of being drafted, which he wanted to avoid. He became a Ranger and was later severely wounded in the Tet Offensive in 1971. He died a year later in a long term facility. Only family members were allowed to visit him. I had heard that he was critically burned. Supposedly, he had burns over 75% of his body. He was also shot. He was ahead of me in high school a few years, but we played football together and every now and then, we would hang out together.

Every 5 years they hold an events day where they have a few kiddie rides, a few food trucks, a band plays all types of music, small games of chance, etc. All the proceeds go to a fund that if any soldier, fireman or policeman is killed in action, his wife, if married, may receive up to $50,000.00. I know they paid it one time for a young soldier that was killed in Afghanistan back in 2009.

I missed it this year. It’s only the second one I missed. I heard they had a huge turnout because they had great weather on Saturday.

That's so cool they raise funds for military widows. It should be one of the benefits of military service...well I know there is a survivors pension, but the amount isn't very significant, is it? Whatever the amount, it's great that regular people organize community events like that to help out. Regular people always do a better job of it than the gov't, imo.

My older brother's high school best-buddy was this very zen, sort of flower-child hippy type who was drafted into the army in the late 60s and served in Vietnam. He had an aversion for guns, so his commander gave him the hideous job of driving a truck that went out to collect dead soldiers.

He came home in one piece, but totally changed. He was still all about peace and love, but he became reclusive and didn't talk much. He was unemployed and afraid to drive; he freaked out just getting in someone's car; so he just stayed in his tiny apartment listening to folk songs and getting high all day.

Every day people stopped by his place bringing pot and records and books. They did his shopping for him, made sure he showered and shaved every few days and checked that he paid his bills every month, and a couple of the girls would go over on Sundays to let him read his Bible to them.

But as the years passed, fewer and fewer people showed up. Eventually, only my brother and 2 other guys were taking care of him, and one of the other 2 found him dead one morning in 1973 or 4. Apparently, when helpers started dropping out of the care-team, Mike started stashing away some of his psych meds, like several pills a month or whatever, until he saved up enough to peacefully snuff himself.

I have heard a lot of stories of guys that their life went off the rails after they returned home from Vietnam. That’s a terrible thing to keep fighting a war that’s been over for about 49 years. I keep wondering if there will be a 50th anniversary next April 30.

My friend’s name was Brad. He was a good kid in school, played sports and hung out with other good kids. Just a normal, good kid like most of us. I really felt bad when he died and attended his funeral. He was awarded a silver star and was later entered into rest in Arlington. His dad told my dad, he was never able to speak while he laid in the long term care facility. He seldom opened his eyes.

Whoever said war is hell got it right.

I have heard a lot of stories of guys that their life went off the rails after they returned home from Vietnam. That’s a terrible thing to keep fighting a war that’s been over for about 49 years. I keep wondering if there will be a 50th anniversary next April 30.

My friend’s name was Brad. He was a good kid in school, played sports and hung out with other good kids. Just a normal, good kid like most of us. I really felt bad when he died and attended his funeral. He was awarded a silver star and was later entered into rest in Arlington. His dad told my dad, he was never able to speak while he laid in the long term care facility. He seldom opened his eyes.

Whoever said war is hell got it right.
It sure didn't help that it stayed in the news for so freaking long, constantly reported as a national embarrassment and the US's worst mistake in its entire history.

So many Vietnam vets were treated like they were the cause of the nation's shame; the shame and guilt of an entire nation was dumped on their shoulders. After going through hell only because their president asked them to, and doing their job the best they could, I can't even imagine what that felt like.

Having a friend is good, 911. Having a friend that is a Ranger is better. May your Ranger friend RIP. He done good.

'Rogers Rangers' rules remain a useful guideline for keeping a soldier's life on track.

Back