Remember Your First car?

Before my senior year in high school my parents sold the house I grew up in and we moved to an area that was outside of my high school's district. Since I was a senior that year, the school allowed me to remain at that school but I needed a car to get there so my parents handed me over their 1971 bright orange Datsun 510 station wagon. It was ugly. I called it my pumpkin carriage but I did not care because it was MY car . I installed a Fosgate stereo system and I was in Heaven.

This picture if not a picture of that car but it the exact same type that I had.

5a001fe4438e90126e9870ff4b8f4989.jpg

I sure do. It was a Cutlass Supreme and I nicknamed it The Bullet*. We worked in what was called the V.D. Clinic at that time and was changing from a clerical to investigator-field position at the urging of our supervisor. I had to quick get my license and a co-worker took me to the next town over to get the car we had seen advertised. *The Bullet was a play on The Magic Bullet, a term that was used for the treatment of syphilis. My car looked just like this (except for whatever that is on the hood).

0f559e22b345071aae2f429679f7389f.jpg

My first car was a hand-me-down from my two years older sister. A 1957 Austin of England that my dad took in on a trade when he was a car salesman in the Napa Valley.

I never actually drove the car lol. Every time I would let the clutch out,it would jump and die.Hubby(then boyfriend)worked with me for hours with no success.I could drive a stick,no problem. But not that one.

Sold the car to a kid in my sister and hubby`s class and bought a 55 Chevy from hubby`s (then boyfriend) dad for $175.00.

It was a green 1952 Dodge Wayfarer that I bought for $65 bucks. It had a straight 6 with 3 on the column but it also had fluid drive so you could let the clutch out in any gear when you came to a stop and it wouldn't stall. It was slow as molasses in January but it was built like a tank. It got 12 miles to the gallon and man did it burn oil. I always kept a couple of quarts of the cheapest oil I could buy in the trunk.

Whenever I stopped for gas I didn't even check the oil at first. I just added a quart right off the bat. Then I'd check the level with the dip stick to see if it needed another one. It usually did. Soon after I got it I took it out on the highway to see what it would do. I got it up to 84 miles an hour on the speedometer. Then my buddy who was with me told me to look out the back. So I did, and all I could see behind me was an impentitrible cloud of black smoke. It was broad daylight but when you looked out the back you would think it was night.

Attachments

• 05a727521335d229468399c56820c634.jpg
    05a727521335d229468399c56820c634.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 1

Back