The art/music/craftsmanship of AI music

Paco Dennis

SF VIP

I'm starting a thread to delve into the fascinating world of AI-generated music, specifically focusing on the power (and challenge!) of crafting effective prompts.
AI can produce some pretty great sounding music, but it's the prompt that acts as the conductor, guiding it towards the musical vision. Think of it like painting with words!
Here's why crafting prompts is a true art form:
Musical Language Matters:
Do you want a soaring orchestral piece or a driving techno beat? Knowing the genre's language (tempos, instruments, chord progressions) is crucial for crafting an accurate prompt.
Happy, melancholic, mysterious? Words can emotions in music. Using evocative language paints the emotional landscape your want.
Understanding basic music theory can unlock even more control. Terms like "key signature" or "time signature" can fine-tune the AI's output.
Beyond the Basics:
Mentioning inspiration from existing music, artists, or even raw emotions helps bring to life your music.
The perfect prompt is rarely born on the first try. Be prepared to experiment and refine your wording to achieve the desired result.
Sometimes, the AI surprises you! Be open to unexpected musical journeys that might emerge from your prompt. ( Very important ) *
Exploring music theory, analyzing existing compositions, and even taking music lessons can help with your prompt-crafting skills.

*The musical results from using prompts will almost always be surprising. You ca not predict how the AI will put together your prompt. This makes me think of a new form of music. Maybe there will be an era of the appreciation of abstract music. Of combing and mixing all kinds of musical "language" to have results that we have never heard or expected. It seems the music that I have heard so far is all with in that definition. It is totally new, It blends many musical attributes in real time. The scores are unpredictable, and if lyrics are involved, AI will construct them, and sing them.

Only have time to listen to this one for now but definitely has an early Chicago/Blood, Sweat and Tears sound. I could easily see Becker or Fagen writing the lyrics...lol.
Becker & Fagan made some of my favorite jazz/funk/rock music. Lyrics for sure, but the bands they organized were fantastic. And especially the Steely Dan touring bands, where individual musicians (like Jon Harrington, Keith Carlock, Cornelius Bumpus) were afforded spontaneous, on-the-spot original solos. An interplay between live musicians, with a live audience.

Back